“Unacceptable behavior,” by Councilman Shawn Juris

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Brian Pedaci

Re: “Unacceptable behavior,” by Councilman Shawn Juris

Postby Brian Pedaci » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:22 pm

Mr. Davis, do you see anywhere on the screen, either in a link under the message or under 'Options', an option for "View Full Headers"? The full headers can include useful information about the actual domain an email was sent from. Email headers can be spoofed but not as easily as a "from" address.

In the meanwhile, think about all the times a politician or celebrity has responded to a report of an embarrassing email by claiming they were hacked. Now think about all the times that claim turned out to be the truth.

Seems to me if I was going to go through the trouble of spoofing someone's email address, I'd set them up for something a bit more damning, but that's just me...

Mike Zannoni

Postby Mike Zannoni » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:11 pm

Shawn Juris wrote: . . . That message that was posted did not come from me.

Well now I'm very, very concerned. If someone has hacked the email of a public official in order to impersonate and also intimidate others, then we are definitely in the area of illegality on several fronts. Mr. Juris, the Observer and the public are all, then, the victims of a crime (identity theft, intimidation, First Ammendment violation and possibly other crimes), and I'm sure civil damages could be pursued as well as prosecution.

It is fortunate that ALL electronic messages are tagged with IP addresses, which means that the physical location of the internet connection used to transmit emails, instant messages, forum postings, etc. are knowable. All it takes is a subpoena from an appropriate law enforcement agency to trace it all the way back to the home, library, cafe, etc, where the author was when it was sent. It's completely routine these days.

That's how and why the Ohio Supreme Court removed Cuyahoga County Common Pleas Judge Shirley Strickland Saffold from the Anthony Sowell case: it was a simple matter to prove she did in fact (or most likely) author the messages in question. She continued, however, to blame her daughter, with whom she claimed to share an online account, even though some were written from her chambers (apparently). There was no way for her or her lawyers to blame total strangers, political rivals or the media, as that would have been simply impossible given the electronic trail.

Depending on how this threatening message was sent to Steve Davis, AT&T Yahoo!, The Observer and the ISP for the originating sender would happily supply the information needed to find out who may have impersonated our Councilman in such a horribly negative light, and/or is seeking to intimidate Mr. Davis and Mr. O'Bryan by this impersonation and threat.

Mike Zannoni
Lakewoodite
Jeff Dreger

Postby Jeff Dreger » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:07 pm

This seems to me extremely serious. Whether it is from the councilman or someone impersonating him. Who has legal standing here? Who can initiate an investigation? I can't think of a reason why the councilman wouldn't if he believes this is the result of hacking or impersonating but is the recipient or subject of the email also able to get the ball rolling? I will be following this one and looking for the police report.

Grace O'Malley

Postby Grace O'Malley » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:38 pm

The email clearly shows it came from the Juris Agency, which I believe is Shawn's business. It did not come from an anonymous Yahoo or Gmail account. If it is true that he did not send that message, then I would think he would be VERY concerned that the security of his business was breached.

marklingm

Postby marklingm » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:41 pm

Shawn,

As a former elected official, I can appreciate how this attack on your email system is very serious.

I strongly encourage you to take your all computers into the police and make a police report.

The police can then scan all your computer systems - including deleted emails - to prove your innocence.

Matt

Mike Zannoni

Postby Mike Zannoni » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:24 pm

Jeff Dreger wrote:This seems to me extremely serious.

I agree, this is extremely serious. It's actually a matter for the authorities.

Grace O'Malley wrote:The email clearly shows it came from the Juris Agency, which I believe is Shawn's business. It did not come from an anonymous Yahoo or Gmail account. If it is true that he did not send that message, then I would think he would be VERY concerned that the security of his business was breached.

Exactly. If Mr. Juris' email account was hacked, then someone could send emails and it would apprear that they came from him/his agency. This is a form of identity theft.

Jeff Dreger wrote:Who has legal standing here? Who can initiate an investigation?.

Anyone who believes a crime has been committed can and maybe should report this to the proper authorities. Certainly Mr. Juris ought to, if indeed his email was hacked and some party is now making threats in his name as a public official, but he doesn't need to be the one to initiate a report.

But I'm not exactly sure whose jurisdiction this is. There are many possible jurisdictions, it seems. I'd start here:

FBI Cleveland Office
216-394-0409

Ohio Attorney General's Office
800-282-0515

Mike Zannoni
Lakewoodite
marklingm

Postby marklingm » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:52 am

Shawn Juris wrote:I had not sent you anything through email and I'm incredibly concerned about whoever is manipulating my business account in such a way. I trust that you and the rest of the Observer staff will correct this false information and do what is necessary to correct this error.

Shawn,

While I am not sure how The Lakewood Observer staff can help you resolve this problem, this is certainly something that both Law Director Kevin M. Butler and Mayor/Public Safety Director Michael P. Summers should be addressing at a fast a furious pace. I hope that you have already contacted law enforcement agencies as well.

Not only is this email debacle an attack on you as a public official (i.e., Ward 3 Lakewood City Councilman), it is also an attack on you as the owner of a local business (i.e., The Juris Agency). The Juris Agency specializes in property and casualty insurance for both personal and commercial clients. Now you may have been put in the unfortunate position of having to contact all your clients and inform them that their confidential information may have been breached. I can only imagine the turmoil caused by this email-gate situation.

Matt

Missy Limkemann

Postby Missy Limkemann » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:04 am

There seems to have been a recent rash of email account "hacking" lately. My friends and even my mom have fallen victim. I know that LinkedIn was recently hacked and a lot of information was stolen from there. I would first recommend filing a police report, and then go to every account you have that requires a password and change every single password. I myself have created a "yahoo" email account for all those other sites such a LinkedIn, Facebook etc etc.

As for heated arguments, I say AWESOME!!! It is good to get in to disagreements with people, keeps the world moving. If everyone got along and we all held hands and sang fun "lovey" songs the world would get boring fast. It is human nature to disagree, and I am sure there are MANY people out there who disagree with me on many things. BUT during these disagreeements we must always remember to stay civil. You may disagree with a person on "item A" but you might need that person again to back you up on "item B" or vice versa.

Good luck Shawn and remember CHANGE ALL YOUR PASSWORDS and create a new email account for all your "public postings!!!" (did I just sound like a mom there or what???)

Time is precious, waste is wisely
Shawn Juris

Postby Shawn Juris » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:53 am

At this point I'll leave it to the Police to investigate. I sincerely appreciate that few that actually took a moment to contact me directly and ask me about this matter.

Grace O'Malley

Postby Grace O'Malley » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:12 am

So Shawn, did you contact the police? Did you make a report?

Steve Davis, have you been contacted by the police? If there is a report, I would think they would need to see the email you received.

kate e parker

Postby kate e parker » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:28 am

after reading this thread so far, it is my belief that mr. juris will still be to blame no matter what the outcome.

J Hrlec

Postby J Hrlec » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:11 am

Matthew John Markling wrote:The police can then scan all your computer systems - including deleted emails - to prove your innocence. Matt

Hmm... just a little comment on the snippet above. We live in the good ole' USA, so I believe he is presumed innocent unless he is proven guilty. It seems folks here are often ready to torch people they don't agree with in other 'areas' prior to proof, and Shawn already openly stated he did not send the email.

He doesn't need to prove his innocence but I hope he definitely follows through to stop whoever may be using his address wrongly or otherwise.

Kristen Bindel

Postby Kristen Bindel » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:24 am

J Hrlec wrote:We live in the good ole' USA, so I believe he is presumed innocent unless he is proven guilty. It seems folks here are often ready to torch people they don't agree with in other 'areas' prior to proof, and Shawn already openly stated he did not send the email.

He doesn't need to prove his innocence but I hope he definitely follows through to stop whoever may be using his address wrongly or otherwise.

Absolutely J. I have always viewed your comments as a voice of reason.

Corey Rossen

Postby Corey Rossen » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:29 am

This kind of nonsense on the Observer is over the top frustrating and should be seen as embarrassing by the LO. The bullying and scare tactics that are happening on all sides seems childish and petty. Take your vendettas elsewhere.

I have met Shawn Juris and do not have an opinion of him, not bad, not good, but indifferent. It appears to me that the banter on the Deck, both seemingly private matters (i.e. vendettas) and public matters, has gone too far. It is ridiculous.

Now you have people chomping at the bit when blood is in the water. Go get 'em Davis and Markling, show 'em all how tough you can be on the keypad. The keepers of the Deck need to grow up and look at the big picture - you are more and more appearing to be the bullies and flame throwers. Cute tactics by Davis and Markling are very transparent, so at least the LO is getting the transparency it seeks so badly.

Enough already.
Corey Rossen

Corey Rossen

"I have neither aligned myself with SLH, nor BL." ~ Jim O'Bryan

"I am not neutral." ~Jim O'Bryan

"I am not here to stir up anything." ~Jim O'Bryan
Grace O'Malley

Postby Grace O'Malley » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:31 am

It's not a matter of guilty or innocent. Steve Davis presented an email that certainly looks like it came from Shawn Juris. The content of that email is disturbing, on many levels. Now Shawn claims he was not the sender of that email. Since it is Shawn's word against Steve Davis's tangible evidence, I think it does behoove Mr Juris to follow up on his claim that he did not send that email. Until then, we only have a verbal claim that he did not send it.

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”