“Unacceptable behavior,” by Councilman Shawn Juris

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Peter Grossetti

Re: “Unacceptable behavior,” by Councilman Shawn Juris

Postby Peter Grossetti » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:03 am

"According to the city’s codified ordinances, those charges are classified as first-degree misdemeanors."

Wanna start a betting pool? The crux of the bet: At which upcoming Council meeting will legislation/ordinance be introduced to change this from a misdemeanor to a felony?

Secondary bet: Does it get sent to any committee for discussion/review or is it voted on immediately, as is, with suspension of all parlimentary rules?

"So, let's make the most of this beautiful day.
Since we're together we might as well say:
Would you be mine? Could you be mine?
Won't you be my neighbor?"

~ Fred (Mr. Rogers) Rogers
Mike Zannoni

Postby Mike Zannoni » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:45 am

Will Brown wrote:I would hope that the police have something better to do than to investigate what doesn't appear to be a crime.

I couldn’t disagree more.

Abuse of official power is of the most serious crimes, in my opinion. Few things make people as angry. Few things make people more hopeless. Few things destroy people's trust in government at all levels.

Similarly, if we're to take this idea seriously, few things are as frightening and disabling as the prospect that our identities can be stolen, and our reputations or financial security threatened.

If either happened to you, would you so easily have the same opinion?

If I was bullied improperly by a mayor, councilperson, police officer, etc, threatening my job, avocation or civil rights, and I had proof, I'd report it and have it investigated.

If I had my identity stolen such that I was being framed for making unethical or possibly illegal threats, I'd report it and have it investigated. Period.

And if police had "something better to do" than follow up, I certainly wouldn't say that's all well and good. I don't want to live in Mexico or Afghanistan, where that's part of the expectation.

Mike Zannoni
Lakewoodite
stephen davis

Postby stephen davis » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:51 am

To update all interested parties, I want it known that I went to the Lakewood Police Department, on my own volition, to offer any and all evidence related to the Shawn Juris e-mail for their investigation. It is now in their hands.

Steve

Nothin' shakin' on Shakedown Street.
Used to be the heart of town.
Don't tell me this town ain't got no heart.
You just gotta poke around.

Robert Hunter/Sometimes attributed to Ezra Pound.
Grace O'Malley

Postby Grace O'Malley » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:55 am

Thanks for the update Steve.

And the brouhaha hits the Cleve Scene. Look at K. Swenson's piece:

http://www.clevescene.com/scene-and-heard/archives/2012/06/29/lakewood-coucilman-caught-up-in-hacking-kerfuffle

He seems to think the old "I didn't do it" routine has been used once again.

Joe McClain

Postby Joe McClain » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:07 pm

Grace O'Malley wrote:Scenario 2 doesnt work. How could Steve alter the email AFTER Shawn disavowed it when he posted it in the opening post?

You are absolutely correct, Grace. A revised Scenario 2 would be that Steve fabricated both message and proof for the initial post.

Mike Zannoni

Postby Mike Zannoni » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:22 pm

Missy Limkemann wrote:I do remember, maybe about a year ago someone else had their personal email hacked and emails were sent out that they were visiting another country, got mugged and needed money sent so they could get home. Everything was stolen etc.

Yes, but the "sender" in these cases never know anything truly specific about you, your life or your associates, except things that are true for almost anyone: "there are people you care about, some of whom are in your address book". Or "people like money, and you do also".

Unscrupulous schemers angle that someone will bite on a con story sent out through email by the thousands, knowing that some will believe it's from a friend or trustable source, and these emails are ALWAYS fishing for some unearned cash. This is not like that at all.

Technically it can be done, but WHY? It defies reasonableness, especially in the face of something more probable, the motivations and emotions for which are far more understandable, and even predictable. People lose their cool, hit Send, then it's uh-oh time.

I've done it! I'll do it again, I'm sure. But I have no position of authority, and I haven't made any threats to use it.

Mike Zannoni
Lakewoodite
Justine Cooper

Postby Justine Cooper » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:31 pm

Corey,
With all due respect, if President Obama sent an email from a private account saying he would use "full power" to get rid of a Fox News Anchorman, would it be safe to assume full power meant personal, business and political? Full means all inclusive. The only "point of view" that seems to be relevant here is that those who support the LO Board support that the email was genuinely from Shawn Juris and those that vehemently band together and oppose the LO continue to do so on this thread regardless of the implications of this email. Will those people stand corrected if the email is proven legit from Shawn or will there be a number of excuses, such as "did he mean his personal or political power?" Semantics.

Full power is everything we have to use in life for good or for revenge.

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive" Dalai Lama
Corey Rossen

Postby Corey Rossen » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:36 pm

Justine Cooper wrote:Corey,
With all due respect, if President Obama sent an email from a private account saying he would use "full power" to get rid of a Fox News Anchorman, would it be safe to assume full power meant personal, business and political? Full means all inclusive. The only "point of view" that seems to be relevant here is that those who support the LO Board support that the email was genuinely from Shawn Juris and those that vehemently band together and oppose the LO continue to do so on this thread regardless of the implications of this email. Will those people stand corrected if the email is proven legit from Shawn or will there be a number of excuses, such as "did he mean his personal or political power?" Semantics.

Full power is everything we have to use in life for good or for revenge.
Justine - I can appreciate your subtle leap to the leader of the free world and commander of the finest and most powerful military in the world but I also wonder what has happened in the involved parties storied past that has lead to this. Will the history of the personal vendettas ever be revealed? Is there really bullying going on? Are there shenanigans? What would have had to happen to make a person of Juris's stature resort to such an act? Is the Lakewood Observer at fault, or guilty of any wrongdoings that has lead to this? Would the Lakewood Observer ever be considered guilty before proven innocent on its own Deck?

I support the LO Board but I also see the faults and I see the intimidations and running off of the opposers. If you look at the majority of the posts they are calling for guilty before a trial of innocence, these are the Board supporters you speak of? I also have noticed over the years the deteriorating of the masses posting on the Deck for fear of being run off for opposing ideas and voicing their collective opinions. I do not stand alone in this as you can look back over numerous (and then some) threads that have at least one or two people deciding to "take a break" from posting on the Deck because of the abusive retorts that are fired back by "supporters of the LO Board." These one or two people each thread add up to the point where you can now count the different people who feel safe enough to post on the Deck on two hands.

Will the "supporters of the LO Board" stand corrected should this turn out to be less than what is being hyped? I do think it is a serious matter. I also see this bringing to light some of the flaws of the Lakewood Observer being in control of the media, its own media, with its own moderators, authors and "supporters of the Board."

Like the Lakewood Observer or not (and I do, on many levels) but there are definitely times when it crosses my moral boundaries of decency.

I do like semantics, Justine, especially on a Presidential level.

Corey

Corey Rossen

"I have neither aligned myself with SLH, nor BL." ~ Jim O'Bryan

"I am not neutral." ~Jim O'Bryan

"I am not here to stir up anything." ~Jim O'Bryan
russell dunn

Postby russell dunn » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:14 pm

This seems to be falling into the " Oxen Goring " category.
Guess it depends... ...well, you know about that...

kate e parker

Postby kate e parker » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:14 pm

Justine Cooper wrote:The only "point of view" that seems to be relevant here is that those who support the LO Board support that the email was genuinely from Shawn Juris and those that vehemently band together and oppose the LO

those who support.

those that vehemently band together and oppose.

very telling quotes. semantically, of course.

kate e parker

Postby kate e parker » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:34 pm

all the huff n puff of this.

the fake outrage. the phony moral indignation.

great p.r. for lkwd.

and i thought the city was doomed cuz parks be closin' early.

Bob Mehosky

Postby Bob Mehosky » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:49 am

Are we planning on discussing whether the moon landing was a hoax next?

It's pitifully easy to send an email like that. You don't need to hack an account.

1) Go to a website that will block your IP information, such as http://anon.me.

2) Use an anonymous emailing service, such as http://anonymailer.net/

3) Punch in the fake name and email you'd like to use and send it.

The email shows up with the fake senders name and address and it can't be traced back to you.

I doesn't take a rocket scientist - it just takes one person with a grudge.

While I'm all for a good public crucifixion, maybe we might want to catch our collective breath here?

Justine Cooper

Postby Justine Cooper » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:27 am

Corey,

I don't have a dog in this fight any more than you do and I don't have an opinion one way or the other on whether this was a legit email or not and fortunately that is in the hands of the law now. But the hypocrisy that goes around here is blinding. Isn't it fair to say there is bullying on the deck on all sides? I have been off far more than on the deck in the last few years because of the fighting and because when positive threads on Lakewood are posted they get far less attention. As you know when I do get on I do try to shout out to the people, businesses, schools and educators doing well. Many of those posters have stopped posting because of the fighting too. I have only met Steve Davis a few times but I was shocked that some would accuse him of falsifying this email and posting it. His reputation is far more respectable than that. Accusing Shawn without proof or accusing Steve with no proof, both can be outrageous and unfair. I don't wish anything negative on anyone involved here and hope there is a resolution that brings some sort of peace and community.

Yes Kate very telling statements that an outsider can plainly see by reading a few weeks of the deck. The same group of people come out on threads to oppose the same group of people. That is no secret to anyone. Blogs are all about different viewpoints and disagreeing but there is an anger here that continues to divide people who would normally get along fine. I think that is sad.

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive" Dalai Lama
Peter Grossetti

Postby Peter Grossetti » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:28 am

@Bob - I sure as heck don't want to discredit what you describe here, (I'm just seeking information with a civil question) ... but if this WAS an instance of what you propose, can you tell me/us if there is equally slick software/program out there used by law enforcement agencies to determine that the email in question was - at the very least - bogus? And that piece of information, while not pointing the finger at the guilty party, would take someone (in this case, Mr Juris) off the hook. Given the public nature of this case, wouldn't LPD (or FBI or whoever) want that made public?

"So, let's make the most of this beautiful day.
Since we're together we might as well say:
Would you be mine? Could you be mine?
Won't you be my neighbor?"

~ Fred (Mr. Rogers) Rogers
Bob Mehosky

Postby Bob Mehosky » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:52 am

Peter,

I'm not an IT guy, but it should be possible to see the route the email took via its header (which wasn't provided).

The police won't be able to do anything without the email, which the councilman wouldn't be able to provide if he didn't send it.

Frankly, I doubt one rogue email is going to get any law enforcement group interested, but I'm sure someone here with a modicum of knowledge and a quick google search could settle this once and for all.

Sort of like this:

http://www.online-tech-tips.com/compute ... p-address/

I'm not saying he did it, I'm not saying he didn't. As the poster above me said, I don't have a dog in this fight. But I am kinda partial to reasoned analysis.

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”