“Unacceptable behavior,” by Councilman Shawn Juris

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Will Brown

Re: “Unacceptable behavior,” by Councilman Shawn Juris

Postby Will Brown » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:57 am

If an idiot calls you an idiot, does that mean you are not an idiot? One advantage of requiring consistent screen names is that one can form an opinion of the qualities of each poster, and discount the posts of those you think are not playing with a full deck.

I would be very surprised if the one who runs the Observer changed the title of the thread to eliminate the recurrent publication of an apparent assertion of misbehavior by Mr. Juris. His animosity is patent, and honesty and objectivity does not seem to be important to him. One is reminded of political hit men, who lurk in the mud and create a story to defame an enemy, then do all they can to help the item get legs.

Society in every state is a blessing, but the Government even in its best state is but a necessary evil...
Betsy Voinovich

Postby Betsy Voinovich » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:47 am

Hi all,

This is from the Mission Statement thread, back in April, it is well said and seems appropriate here.

Justine Cooper said:

...Why this matters on this thread is when I saw this, all I could think about was "I have to write an article to let people know about this!" It brought me right back to why I wrote the "Secret Shopper" and how these hard-working businesses deserve an article to allow people to know what wonderful things they are bringing to the city. I see this as a family-friendly hip and unique hangout and all I could think about was how we could let people know though the LO. NO other paper ever cared about doing that for small businesses, but the LO project is ALL about that, preserving what is fantastic about this city.

The city politics, not so fantastic, but the fact that there is a forum where people have to identify themselves and own their comments, which does lead to transparency (and some people do not like that part) is amazing and needed. People aren't always going to get along and you certainly can't hold the founders responsible for that. But what is here is real, fact or opinion. The fact that you are still contributing, Shawn, says a lot, that you give it more merit than you acknowledge.

As far as the "jerk" comment, well it brought it to a very juvenile level and obviously more a personal thing than professional. I certainly have my disagreements with Jim but to outright start a post on the LO mission statement and in that post call someone a jerk is more a testimony to your character than to his. He has done more for this city, with his board and volunteers, than any single person I know in any city in an UNPAID position and including many people paid. I don't always agree with him politically or on other issues but as far as the mission statement, he (they) have gone above and beyond for consumers and businesses in too many ways to list.

Justine, thanks for the big picture.

Betsy Voinovich

J Hrlec

Postby J Hrlec » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:53 am

Stephen Eisel wrote:
The status of Shawn Juris's predicament is not at the top of my "to do" list.
But again, thanks for your concern. I'm flattered.
14 post in this thread and counting... Maybe not at the top of your "to do list" but certainly in the top 5.. just sayin...

The email clearly shows it came from the Juris Agency, which I believe is Shawn's business. It did not come from an anonymous Yahoo or Gmail account. If it is true that he did not send that message, then I would think he would be VERY concerned that the security of his business was breached.

Well Shawn, if you are claiming that you did not send that email and someone is "manipulating" your account, that is YOUR responsibility to investigate if there is an alleged breach of YOUR email security. Have you contacted the police? Has a report been made? But, if you did send it and y...

Since Shawn is a politician, I'll assume he realizes not everyone likes him

You were clearly wrong.... definitley ignorant on the topic being discussed... or maybe just so filled with hate that you could not think straight..

http://www.clevescene.com/scene-and-hea ... -kerfuffle

Seems so to me as well, but at least some people may have learned it is best to not jump to conclusions.

Mike Zannoni

Postby Mike Zannoni » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:17 pm

Will Brown wrote:I would be very surprised if the one who runs the Observer changed the title of the thread to eliminate the recurrent publication of an apparent assertion of misbehavior by Mr. Juris.

The title is part of the thread and should not be revised for PC.

I'm not in support of the whitewashing of history, and changing the name of the thread would be just that. Maybe in the spirit of this idea, somebody who feels this way should start a new thread and invite further discussion there. The title of this current thread, even if ironically titled from our perspective today, is of a piece with its reason for being, including the starting assumtions of its Author.

Among those who see the thread's title every day, which Deck participants aren't up to date on the status of "emailgate" and actually need to have this thread title revised so as not to get the wrong idea at this point?

Mike Zannoni
Lakewoodite
Mike Zannoni

Postby Mike Zannoni » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:09 pm

Will Brown wrote: . . .the one who runs the Observer . . .One is reminded of political hit men, who lurk in the mud and create a story to defame an enemy, then do all they can to help the item get legs.

Jim did not create this thread. Steve did, and he had a credible reason, being as fooled as many of us were by it. Publishing it on this deck was maybe naive to the significant possibility of its being spoofed, but as Betsy said, putting it out in public can be a form of protection when it seems like "official" power may be against you.

Jim did not really help this topic "get legs", either, if you look back on this entire post. You have as many posts as Jim. I believe Jim has posted on this thread 4 times, as have you. And Jim's posts were all close to the end, clearly after the thread had a life of its own without any of his input.

If anyone gets credit for keeping this thread going, it's many of us here, not Jim. Second to me, Stephen Eisel has been this thread's 2nd biggest contributor, with 14 posts total, and it doesn't seem from the content of his posts like they were made to help any political cause of Jim's. As for me, I was not trying to give it "legs", but to shed what light I thought I could, and to solicit more information about what genuinely seemed to me an abuse of official power. True, I didn't want it to fall through cracks and get swept under the rug, but that was on behalf of myself, as a citizen.

I feel a little manipulated myself at this point, and not by Jim, or Steve or Shawn, but by whomever created that email and stimulated all of this bad feeling. I feel all three of them, and many of us too, have been victims of the email.

I would hope, at this point, we can just ease up with the insinuations about Jim or Steve or Shawn, when there is really nothing in evidence to support them. If there's anything to be learned here, I hope it would be that.

Mike Zannoni
Lakewoodite
kate e parker

Postby kate e parker » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:07 pm

i'll say it out loud....several people who posted in this thread owe juris an apology. period.

instead of looking for ways and loopholes for juris to still be found guilty several of you need to bite it and apologize. i'm not naming names...you all know who you are.

this whole thread has been another fine example of those who jump to conclusions and those who don't and those who plea for civility (but only when civility applies to one side) and those who plea for common sense.

i can already envision, though, another ten pages of "shawn could still be guilty and here's why" or "why i will NOT apologize to shawn" or "why i will look like i'm apologizing to shawn but yet am being apologetic to the Observer and wasnt this something that should have been taken seriously and don't you and me and everyone else want to see a conclusive end to all of this and and and!!" GASP! deep breath...

it looks like the damage was done. juris hasnt posted here in a while and who could blame him if ever does again after this thread? i'll bet money that i don't have that alot of peeps in this thread could care a less if a voice that they don't agree with bothers to jump in on another one of these conversations...i've seen many who have been run off the digital fence.

shawn doesnt need to post on this site. he's swimming with sharks here. yet he does (did) in spite of the massive opposition that he found here...something that i thought the digital fence was about. more like the digital lynch mob.

not looking good, lakewood.

you can all go back to puppy dogs and kitty cats now

Christopher Bindel

Postby Christopher Bindel » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:22 am

I posted my next response to this thread in a new one below. I agree with Mike that we should not cover up history, but since we now know the email was fake I started a new thread to concentrate on the aftermath, please consider posting your responses there. The link follows:

http://lakewoodobserver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=11104

J Hrlec

Postby J Hrlec » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:30 am

Christopher Bindel wrote:I posted my next response to this thread in a new one below. I agree with Mike that we should not cover up history, but since we now know the email was fake I started a new thread to concentrate on the aftermath, please consider posting your responses there. The link follows:

http://lakewoodobserver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=11104

Good idea. :idea:

Peter Grossetti

Postby Peter Grossetti » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:35 am

I don't want to sound nitpicky, but the email was, in fact, real. We just don't know its origin.

"So, let's make the most of this beautiful day.
Since we're together we might as well say:
Would you be mine? Could you be mine?
Won't you be my neighbor?"

~ Fred (Mr. Rogers) Rogers
J Hrlec

Postby J Hrlec » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:58 am

Peter Grossetti wrote:I don't want to sound nitpicky, but the email was, in fact, real. We just don't know its origin.

LOL ...you are right it was a real email. It also was real shame it was posted without a single bit of verification.

:(

Stephen Eisel

Postby Stephen Eisel » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:32 pm

J Hrlec wrote:
Peter Grossetti wrote:I don't want to sound nitpicky, but the email was, in fact, real. We just don't know its origin.

LOL ...you are right it was a real email. It also was real shame it was posted without a single bit of verification.

:(

I asked the same thing :) Did Steve reach out to Shawn before posting the e-mail....? But I am just a hata :)

Peter Grossetti

Postby Peter Grossetti » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:37 pm

I am dismayed that my post ... "I don't want to sound nitpicky, but the email was, in fact, real. We just don't know its origin" ... might be construed as "taking sides" or trying to "insinuate something."

I just want to know who DID sent it. I realize that I have no RIGHT demanding to know ... but I guess that I am just bothered that few here seem concerned about finding out who actually DID send the email. (at least that is my perception of what I have read lately. Am I wrong?) As I have posted here before, that person is a ratfink (I'm being kind).

And as I have previously posted on The Deck, I have told both Shawn and Jim -- both of whom I know and respect for their respective service to Our City -- to their faces that playing out this long-standing "feud" (fill in whatever word you want) in this forum is, at best "childish."

"So, let's make the most of this beautiful day.
Since we're together we might as well say:
Would you be mine? Could you be mine?
Won't you be my neighbor?"

~ Fred (Mr. Rogers) Rogers
marklingm

Postby marklingm » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:11 am

Lakewood should never forget June 21, 2012 - i.e., the day the Czech Republic declared war on City Hall.

See, also, http://www.lakewoodobserver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12915.

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:18 am

Strange things happen, in strange ways.

Out of nowhere... I got a note ent to me anonymously, or so it would seem and it said.

I believe this is the computer that was used in the Czech Republic attack on Shawn Juris'
good name, and attack the Observer. At the time I was not in a position to talk about the
terrible attack until I moved, for fear of retaliation. This computer was mentioned, by
someone in the building and moved to the basement of a building I had access to. It
appeared suddenly and for no reason. I cannot say it was used in the letter, but the people
who owned it, talked about it, and seemed worried when the investigation was started.
Sorry I cannot speak up publicly.

We will never know, Council really didn't care enough about people using their
stationary and email addresses to look into it.

Just kind of weird how things appear...

Life has gone on, but, thank you concerned citizen.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”