Come to the Drive-Thru meeting! This Thur 7 PM, City Hall

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Betsy Voinovich

Come to the Drive-Thru meeting! This Thur 7 PM, City Hall

Postby Betsy Voinovich » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:57 am

It would be kind of cool if it was a meeting you could participate in by driving through it in your car, with food, but no, this is at City Hall, probably in chairs.

Drive-thru Zoning Code Public Workshop, THUR, 7 PM City Hall

This is a public workshop being held by the Planning and Development Commission, at the request of Councilman David Anderson, to study and discuss the amount of/uses of/pluses and minuses in terms of the quality of life in Lakewood, value of homes near them, walkability, etc, of Drive-throughs in Lakewood. I think this came about as a result of McDonald's looking at the Detroit Theater.

Here is the notice from the Public Notices section of the City of Lakewood's website:

PLANNING COMMISSION WORK SHOP, THUR AUGUST 4th, 7 PM
Communication from Director Dru Siley Zoning Code Review of Drive-through Use Requirements:

Councilman David Anderson, Ward 1, submitted a request to Planning and Development and the Planning Commission to review the current zoning code standards for drive-through uses. The goal of this review would be to consider issues such as noise, traffic, light, trash and pedestrian safety, and whether the current code addresses best management practices.

Planning Development Staff recently inventoried all of the current drive-through uses in the City and compiled a summary of the language in the current zoning code addressing these uses. P&D staff will present the findings and the Planning Commission will facilitate a public discussion on this matter.

It seems like another good way to come up with a shared community vision. Thanks to Councilman David Anderson for requesting it and the Planning Commission following through and inviting the public.

Sounds like a party.

Betsy Voinovich

Grace O'Malley

Re: Come to the Drive-Thru meeting! This Thur 7 PM, City Hal

Postby Grace O'Malley » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:00 am

I heard that the theater owner and McDonalds have signed a purchase agreement. If so, then McDonalds is definitely going in. Can anyone confirm if this information is accurate?

David Anderson

Postby David Anderson » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:31 pm

Hello, Betsy and all.

I joined Council about the same time the McDonald's discussion was starting to take shape. I was and am still concerned about the potential over proliferation of quick serve restaurants and “drive-ins,” “up's” and “through’s” on Lakewood's commercial corridors.

After a couple months of research and meetings, on Tuesday, July 5, I submitted a letter to Council requesting assistance from the Director of Planning and Development and the Planning Commission in evaluating the current code with respect to drive-through facilities.

I established that the goal of this review would be to (1) consider issues such as noise, traffic, hours of operation, urban design, light, trash, pedestrian safety, the development review process and whether the current code provides Lakewood with the best development/management tools and (2) propose changes or alterations to the code to create the best development/management tools possible.

I thank the Office of Planning and Development and the Planning Commission for responding to this request and setting tomorrow’s meeting date and, in advance, for dedicating time throughout August on this issue.

I have to say, originally, I was going to offer a set of “conditional use” standards in the form of an ordinance. This is the way legislation is created, right? A public official sits and drafts something together - sometimes on an issue he/she knows little about -, advances it, has it probed and amended, then, ultimately voted upon.

However, I believe utilizing the Planning Commission’s expertise in this way will likely lead to more effective results. I very much look forward to tomorrow's session and subsequent meetings.

Yours in service,
David W. Anderson
Councilman, Ward 1
216-789-6463 (My phone has been acting a bit "squirrelly" lately and is being replaced, though, the number will stay the same.)

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:15 am

Next?

A Taco Bell next to our "World Class Baseball Facility"?

Artist concept of the hottest rumor out of City Hall. That would be everyone at City Hall,
knows of the project, but many think it is at a standstill.

The reason ranges from "I don't know" to the problems with the Detroit Theater made
them change their minds.

David

Great that you put this meeting together. It would seem for now, we are getting into the
food business, and betting the farm, er families on it. It will be interesting to see what
comes out of this.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
michael gill

Postby michael gill » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:19 am

"According to McDonalds own statements, nearly 70 percent of the company’s business is done through the drive-thru window. Imagine the numbers of people who leave the fast food parking lot with fries in their lap, a drink in the cup holder and a burger—with a curl of onion dripping ketchup—sliding out the back. As that person drives down Detroit, he has to use the brake. Clutch. Shift. Change lanes. Put the sandwich down. Watch out for the RTA bus. Sip.

Is that safe?"

http://gyroscopethattakesyouplaces.word ... hway-exit/

Please join me at the Drive Thru meeting tonight at city hall. Thanks to Councilman Anderson for calling attention to the issue, and attempting to set some standards. Here's hoping they mean something.

Stan Austin
Contributor

Postby Stan Austin » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:00 pm

Mike--- Back in the day we used to do all that AND----------- roll a joint, smoke it, make a snarfer, AND--------work the old push button radio!
These kids now days have it so easy
Stan

David Anderson

Postby David Anderson » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:32 am

I am quite appreciative of the effort of the administration and Dru Siley and his team in the reaction to my request to have the Planning Commission take a serious look at our zoning codes.

The attached document, developed by Dru Siley’s team, shows 13 drive-throughs and drive-ins currently on Detroit between Warren and Riverside. Among the concerns/questions I shared at the Planning Commission meeting last night is whether this is an over proliferation on a less than two mile stretch of road. How many is too many?

The Planning Commission meeting showed overwhelming consensus last night in the need to review the codes with the goal of creating the best development/management tool possible with respect to this issue. (This, coupled with the Architectural Board of Review meeting last month make me feel we are all well represented.)

My objective as councilman is to work with the Commission to develop amendments/changes in the form of an ordinance which I will introduce in September.

However, such a process needs an opening draft. As such, I have developed a draft set of conditional use requirements which I am reworking with the Law Department. This will be forwarded to Commission and Council members and act as the initial working draft.

Please post, call or email at any time.

Yours in service,
David W. Anderson
Councilman, Ward 1
216-789-6463
Attachments
Map and Listing of Drive-throughs and Drive-ins.pdf
(1.22 MiB) Downloaded 154 times

Betsy Voinovich

Postby Betsy Voinovich » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:42 am

David Anderson wrote:The Planning Commission meeting showed overwhelming consensus last night in the need to review the codes with the goal of creating the best development/management tool possible with respect to this issue. (This, coupled with the Architectural Board of Review meeting last month make me feel we are all well represented.)

My objective as councilman is to work with the Commission to develop amendments/changes in the form of an ordinance which I will introduce in September.

However, such a process needs an opening draft. As such, I have developed a draft set of conditional use requirements which I am reworking with the Law Department. This will be forwarded to Commission and Council members and act as the initial working draft.

Please post, call or email at any time.

Yours in service,
David W. Anderson
Councilman, Ward 1
216-789-6463

David,

This is great news. I like the sound of development/management tool, because it sounds like a forward-thinking process is taking place. Yes, we want and need Lakewood to grow into the 21st century in terms of meeting the needs of its citizens. We don't want empty store fronts and we don't want to feel like we live on Center Ridge Rd. We love walking and riding our bikes and being able to live in Lakewood in terms of shopping and eating and going to school and having fun. So a "tool for development management" sounds perfect.

An actual ordnance that spells out what we need and how we need it, and don't need it, based on issues you describe like:noise, traffic, hours of operation, urban design, light, trash, pedestrian safety, the development review process and whether the current code provides Lakewood with the best development/management tools. An ordinance is a solid, encouraging step into our own future.

A lot of voices have come together on this, and you have been a wonderful responsive creative leader and team member, in your short time as councilman.

Thank you for continually reaching out to citizens and reaching in? I guess would be a new phrase to coin? reaching your fellow council people and City administrators in an effort to get everyone communicating and on the same page. Your faith in this city and in this process is contagious.

Betsy Voinovich

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:14 am

Traffic!

It occurred to me yesterday, while waiting to get out of Burger King for two exchanges of lights before I finally
said screw it and forced my way into turning right not left into a crease barely large enough for the front left corner of the car. The city of Lakewood should really figure out traffic on Detroit in Downtown, before adding
any more drive-throughs.

To turn left, was but a dream at 3pm on a Sunday.

Should we widen Detroit? Kill the turning lane in the middle, and put turning lanes on the outside of the road
so that people could get in and out easier.

Just a thought.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Thealexa Becker

Postby Thealexa Becker » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:45 am

Forget fixing traffic before adding another drive-thru, they should just fix that traffic pattern PERIOD.

That area of Detroit, from Andrews to St. Charles, is the WORST area of Lakewood to drive in. The traffic patterns are horrible, and the road doesn't have enough traveling lanes.

I think this is a bigger problem than any potential drive thru issues farther down the street. I actually avoid that part of Detroit when I'm in my car for that very reason.

I'm reading about myself sitting in a laundromat, reading about myself sitting in a laundromat, reading about myself...my head hurts.
Betsy Voinovich

Postby Betsy Voinovich » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:04 pm

Thealexa Becker wrote:Forget fixing traffic before adding another drive-thru, they should just fix that traffic pattern PERIOD.

That area of Detroit, from Andrews to St. Charles, is the WORST area of Lakewood to drive in. The traffic patterns are horrible, and the road doesn't have enough traveling lanes.

I think this is a bigger problem than any potential drive thru issues farther down the street. I actually avoid that part of Detroit when I'm in my car for that very reason.

Wow, Thealexa, this post brought up an avalanche of complaints and ideas from the people I was sitting with when I read this. One of the most ingenious (I guess) was pulling into the Board of Education overflow lot, parking illegally, crossing the lot and going through the fence on foot to get to Burger King, getting your food in the store, then pulling out, through the lot onto Warren and turning right. Many laws broken here and a savings of time of up to fifteen minutes I hear.

Some were talking about the death defying exit at the foot of the Drug Mart Plaza exit hill onto whatever that street is, is that Andrews? Where you can't see the traffic coming at you from the left? And the driveway is so narrow that there is always an unintentional game of chicken to be played with cars coming at you, either entering or leaving.

Turning right out of Dairy Queen because you will NEVER be able to turn left, turning right out of UDF, which is not a drive-thru but is right next to the Detroit Theater, and NEVER being able to turn left. Well, that depends on the time of day. We have yet to see what the Super CVS drive thru window will do to the already interesting situation that occurs when you leave the library. One is tempted to break the law (the sign when you leave the library onto Arthur says you must turn right) and turn left onto Arthur to avoid Detroit, one will be much more tempted to do this after CVS opens, I guess, unless the new place to be avoided is Lakeland.

Your post really clarifies the need for a traffic study, period, which I think will happen in order to evaluate this drive-thru situation.

Betsy Voinovich

Paul Schrimpf

Postby Paul Schrimpf » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:54 am

She's right ... we live on the east end, and to get to anything downtown beyond Marlowe I head for Franklin and approach from the south. Detroit at Burger King/Marc's Plaza is a mess, and I would be hard pressed to provide a solution.

Bret Callentine

Postby Bret Callentine » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:10 pm

here's an idea (not mine, I've heard it from dozens of people)...

move the north entrance into the Marc's plaza over so it aligns with Cook then you can get rid of the extra stop light there.

Actually, I have another idea as well...

If they're going to demolish the Detroit Theatre anyway, then why can't the city claim eminent domain to the land in order to correct a traffic issue : re-route Woodward ave to the west so that it intersects Detroit at the same point as Hall. with the new layout, there probably won't be enough land east of the new intersection to put much of anything other than perhaps a park.

just a thought.

"I met with Bret one on one and found him impossible to deal with." - S.K.

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”