It's Over Now, Dead And Gone...A Hospital Commentary And Reflection...

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Bill Call

Re: It's Over Now, Dead And Gone...A Hospital Commentary And Reflection...

Postby Bill Call » Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:40 am

Patrick Wadden wrote:I find it crazy that people in Lakewood(SLH) think that there wasn't an up and down vote on the hospital. EVERY SINGLE AD THAT SKINDELL MAILED/or put out on social media prior to the election was SAVE THE HOSPITAL. Every single thing that Summers mailed or said was "Build Lakewood".

That's the kind of statement I like to call true but not accurate. :wink:

The Mayor used Lakewood Hospital Association money to lie about the Hospital issue.
The Mayor used Cleveland Clinic money to lie about the Hospital issue.
The Mayor used Water Department money to lie about the Hospital issue.
The Mayor used secret funding of a fake newspaper to lie about the Hospital issue.
The Mayor used the power of the police to harass and intimidate his political opponents.
The Mayor outspent Hospital supporters nearly 10 to 1.

The Mayor lied about seeking other offers.
The Mayor lied about the existence of other offers.
The Mayor lied about the profitability of the Hospital.
The Mayor lied about the decanting of the Hospital.
The Mayor lied the new Medical Office Building.
The Mayor lied about the transfer facility.
The Mayor lied about $125 million in new investment.
The Mayor lied about the purpose and control of the "new Foundation".
The Mayor lied about the recreation center.

And then he won re-election.
And then he defeated issue 64.

I'm sure during the upcoming campaign the Mayor will lie even more.
I'm sure the Clinic and the Hospital Foundation and Lakewood Hospital Association will do their best to misinform the voters. If the truth is so great why the need for all of the lies?

It will be difficult to cut through the lies. But we will give it a try.

What's to be gained? Well for starters, the $34 million in Foundation money and the $50 million + in Lakewood Hospital Association assets ARE THE PROPERTY OF THE CITY OF LAKEWOOD.

At the very least those monies should remain City assets and not be transferred to some new Secret Foundation controlled by the Cleveland Clinic.

At the very least the Clinic's immunity should be removed.

At the very least the Cleveland Clinic should not be granted a monopoly on health care in Lakewood.

At the very least the Board members who failed their fiduciary duty should be held accountable.

At the very least the truth should be told.

The whole Hospital decanting process was a simple conspiracy to misappropriate millions of dollars in City assets. The should be an accounting.

Michael Deneen

Postby Michael Deneen » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:09 am

Wadden wants to pretend that the Mayoral campaign was a hospital vote.
The numbers belie that...the percentages of the votes were different for Issue 64 and the Mayor's race.

Many people voted for Summers but wanted to keep the hospital.
That's why many Summers voters voted for 64...they thought they could keep "that nice Summers" and keep their hospital.

As mentioned, Team Summers did an extraordinary amount of lying in both their campaigns.
In addition, Skindell was limited by a much smaller budget, and by the fact that he kept working as a State Rep throughout the campaign, travelling back and forth to Columbus.
Rather than respecting him for fulfilling his duties (unlike most candidates such as Rubio, who has long since left the Senate but still gets paid), guys like Wadden attack Skindell for having a "bad campaign".

Lori Allen _

Postby Lori Allen _ » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:37 am

As I have said here on the Deck before, repeating the same information over and over again does nothing for where we are now in the battle. Remember, proactive, not reactive. The hospital issue is a local issue, not a national one. If we are going to use Rubio as an example, why not also use Sanders? National politics should be left out of this. It serves no purpose.

Dan Alaimo

Postby Dan Alaimo » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:08 am

Michael Deneen wrote:Wadden wants to pretend that the Mayoral campaign was a hospital vote.
The numbers belie that...the percentages of the votes were different for Issue 64 and the Mayor's race.

Many people voted for Summers but wanted to keep the hospital.
That's why many Summers voters voted for 64...they thought they could keep "that nice Summers" and keep their hospital.

As mentioned, Team Summers did an extraordinary amount of lying in both their campaigns.
In addition, Skindell was limited by a much smaller budget, and by the fact that he kept working as a State Rep throughout the campaign, travelling back and forth to Columbus.
Rather than respecting him for fulfilling his duties (unlike most candidates such as Rubio, who has long since left the Senate but still gets paid), guys like Wadden attack Skindell for having a "bad campaign".

And, as we all recall, Mike Summers ran away from the hospital issue during the campaign. He rarely mentioned it.

“Never let a good crisis go to waste." - Winston Churchill (Quote later appropriated by Rahm Emanuel)
Lori Allen _

Postby Lori Allen _ » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:17 am

Come on everybody. Peat and repeat sat on a fence, who was left? I have posted many outlets here on the Deck that, if people chose to, they could file complaints, etc. Instead of re-hashing, over and over and over again. Be proactive, not reactive. Actions speak louder than words!

m buckley

Postby m buckley » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:44 pm

Gary Rice wrote:For all you well-meaning do-ers, dreamers, doubters, and 'Deckers...

Just letting you know. It's over now. Dead and gone.

Funeral services have yet to be announced.

I'm referring to the once and honorable fight to save our hospital from the wrecking ball.

I can also tell you the exact moment that the nails were finally driven into the hospital's coffin. I was there. It was right after the Mayor's State of the City address last night, when the applause erupted. Virtually everyone was there too, from the Lakewood School Board, to City Council, to many interested salt-of-the-earth Lakewoodites...we who were there all witnessed it.

Being a musical entertainer, back in the day, I've always been very sensitive to the meaning behind applause. There's polite applause, such as you might hear when a young violin student squeaks her way through her first recital. Then, there's "glad it's over" applause, that you might hear when some boring long-winded speaker finally finishes...

...and then you have the applause that we heard last night.

It was full-blown, utterly enthusiastic, virtually unanimous rock-star-like applause for the mayor, and while it was not accompanied by screaming, shouts, or the like, it was nonetheless long lasting, enthusiastic, and very sincere. In no uncertain terms, it was letting those of us who have marched and supported saving our hospital know that our dream was finally over.

I personally did everything in my power to try to be an active part in saving Lakewood Hospital. I wrote columns about saving our hospital, I marched in the streets for nearly a mile on my unsteady crooked legs with hundreds of hospital supporters, while playing my banjo with the Dixieland band that accompanied the group...In short, I was utterly opposed to losing what was arguably one of our community's finest assets. I know full well that the loss of this hospital could well mean the loss of some lives too, and for that reason alone, I was absolutely driven to try to save it. My mother had died there. My dad's and my own lives were both saved there. My grandmother fought her long and losing battle with a dreaded illness there, and countless other times, my family and friends have gone there to get patched up for one thing or another. Emotionally, that hospital has been a big part of my life, and I would suspect, many of yours, as well.

Every day of our lives, things and people die, and things and people are born. That's just the way it goes. We rejoice in births and lament deaths. Both are complex events, and yet, utterly simple in their nature. Lately, however, there are many who prefer to celebrate the life of the deceased, rather than mourn. Perhaps that's just another way to deal with loss, I don't know. What I do know is that the loss of something or someone hurts very badly. It tears at the very fiber of our beings. It goes so counter to our American live-forever culture that values acquisition so much, and loss, so little. Yet there it is....loss....death....as perpetual as the falling of leaves, and as much a part of our lives, as gain and birth are.

While there will, no doubt, be many here who will continue, (perhaps like some Confederate revisionists) to want to hold onto the past, (and yes, the past can be a wonderful place to visit) the simple fact of the matter is that we cannot live in the past. You cannot live with people or things no longer with us. That's just not the way things work. It is for the living that we must live.

I am related to a platoon or more of Mom's ancestors who fought under the flag of the Confederacy. In my heart of hearts, I honor their memory, and I think about the Stars and Bars that was sometimes etched into their gravestones. At the same time, I have seen the gravestones of my father's ancestors who fought with the Grand Army of the Republic, and I've seen and placed the little American flags on their graves. Heroes all.

At the 50th anniversary of the Battle of Gettysburg, many of those still-living ancestors of yours and mine again met on that field, only this time, for pot-luck dinners, cane-assisted walks together up the side of Little Round Top, and for sharing the bond that only brothers who have borne the battle can do. See, soldiers care little about the bigger issues of such a war. Slavery? States' Rights? Naw, all they cared about back then was the person standing next to them.

The Stars and Bars and the Rebel Yell were seen and heard again on that day, as were the colors and calls of the Union Forces. On that day however, the Stars and Bars flew together with Stars and Stripes. Grown men cried like babies, and the healing began over fried chicken.

Our century-old hospital is finished. Those of us who fought for her are tired, perhaps bitter, and perhaps at times disillusioned. Many of us may still cling to the hope of a last minute reprieve, either through the ballot box or the courts. Political opportunists and conspiracy theorists will no doubt continue to use our Dear Old Lady for whatever ends they can think of, but in the end, it's just time for us to let her go.

Let's face it, miles of rotting wiring, leaky corroded lead pipes, asbestos-laden plaster and insulation, lead paint, and other out-dated building materials that seemed to make sense a hundred years ago have no place in a modern medical center. Indeed, even though much of the above was likely either abated, or painted over, or whatever, during the numerous remodeling efforts that have transpired over the years, you can only try to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear so many times. Eventually, there's just nothing left to stitch to.

For those who remember, there was great controversy and emotion as well, when we began to tear down those old school buildings that were also once so much a part and parcel of the pulse of our city. Lincoln, Madison, the old Harding, the high school.....all of those met the wrecking ball, and our children are (or soon will be) in much more modern up-to-date facilities with much safer electricity, water, heat, and lighting.

For that matter, (as even those who advocated for saving our hospital would freely admit) the medical facilities that we have close by to us are either beautifully new, or have been nicely updated, and that is a blessing, at least.

Last night, Mayor Michael P. Summers laid out the rationale for his decision to be proactive regarding the Lakewood Hospital Crisis. That his decision was widely approved of by community leaders was patently obvious. Whether it was the "right" decision or not will be a subjective call for history to answer, but one thing was quite certain in my mind as I reflected on the minutes-long applause. The fight for Lakewood Hospital... was over.

Perhaps one day soon, we can all gather together for a pot-luck dinner down by the Solstice Steps. If the soldiers at Gettysburg were able to put aside their differences, so too can we all. All of us on all sides of this issue, engaged in the good fight. Perhaps one day soon, we can all begin to engage in the good peace.

All, just my opinion here, and I may be wrong...but...

Back to the banjo... :D

Mr. Rice,
I always enjoy a good Sunday story.
Especially when contrasted against the 'usual politics or persuasions' on The Deck.

" City Council is a 7-member communications army." Colin McEwen December 10, 2015.
Gary Rice

Postby Gary Rice » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:03 am

Mr. Buckley and Everyone:

Good Morning. :D

Gee, what did Faulkner write about the past not being past? :lol:

Looking back on this thread from years ago from the perspective of time and distance reminds me of the significant price that one can pay for speaking out in the public arena. :D

As nearly everyone knows, all this started for me when I innocently decided to attend that meeting almost at the last minute and was absolutely amazed at how many influential people were supporting the closing of our hospital. I reported on it too, and I probably should have stopped there, but while CLEARLY telling everyone in that posting that I was NOT in agreement with closing the hospital, I did however add my opinions, and yes, I concluded that the fight for the hospital was over; and guess what?

While admittedly and deservedly, the hospital supporters indeed fought on for a bit...

Essentially, I was correct. :shock:

The only things left on Belle and Detroit right now are ruins, and perhaps, an ancient riverbed that seems to want to come back. :shock:

Mr. Buckley, look, I know what happened on your own street. I feel, and deeply understand your point of view. I also truly understand the reasons that people will be sensitive about wanting to make postings about "the usual politics and persuasions", and yes, many of us have done precisely that over the years, and that's OK. That's what this country is all about. My comment about "politics and persuasions" on the other thread was certainly NOT intended to criticise those posts, but rather to suggest a Sunday alternative to those sorts of things. Indeed, even if I HAD intended it to be critical, that would have been my right too. :shock:

Let's get real here. The Observation Deck is supposed to be a place for all sorts of Lakewood discussions, opinions, and beliefs to be expressed. Even if I had been a full blown supporter of the hospital closing, I still should have been able to do that without fear of threats, intimidation, put downs, or verbal abuse, and no, I am NOT accusing anyone of that here. :D

Still, you all can see the intense heat I took for expressing my opinions in this thread. Look, I am a writer, and I know a few things about taking the heat, but many people dislike having their words subjected to the bright light of scrutiny.

People need to feel comfortable enough to come here and know that they can share their thoughts, concerns, and ideas about all things Lakewood. :D

The Great Old Book promises that peacemakers will be blessed. Everyone who knows me knows that's also what has driven my primary intentions in writing here for the last decade or so. I still yearn for that virtual Lakewood campfire where lions and lambs lie peacefully together. :D

Back to the banjo. :D

J Hrlec

Postby J Hrlec » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:51 am

james fitzgibbons wrote:You have wasted your time putting all of your words on this site.

Pretty much the case for any words posted in this forum though.

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:01 am

J Hrlec wrote:
james fitzgibbons wrote:You have wasted your time putting all of your words on this site.

Pretty much the case for any words posted in this forum though.

Because if it is positive, J Hrlec will come in with negative nothing to add to it?

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Bridget Conant

Postby Bridget Conant » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:09 am

Oh come on Jim, J Hrlec adds so much to the conversation. He’s a fountain of wit, intellect, and comedy! :lol:

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:21 am

Bridget Conant wrote:Oh come on Jim, J Hrlec adds so much to the conversation. He’s a fountain of wit, intellect, and comedy! :lol:

I will never stop being amused when negative people come in and call everything negative, ADD ZERO to any conversation, then slides out.

I think it has been proven conclusively, who the negative people were and most have their own little cesspool of mediocrity and hate.

Here, we like City Hall to be honest. I guess for many that is way to much burden for elected officials.

Also I would like to point out that the LO was first to talk about their proposed Rec Center. The LO followed them through the steps, and the walk thrus of Fairview, Westlake and Seven Hills. OF COURSE, The Mayor and his pet Jay said, all lies. Then we found the documents of their plans, and published them back in 2014 and 2015. J. Hrelc, You are welcome.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Gary Rice

Postby Gary Rice » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:49 pm

I for one, would LOVE to see MORE people come on the 'Deck and explain why they support whatEVER they support. Sure, they may have to roll with a few verbal thrusts, but GEESH, look at all these interactions, and see how this sort of thing plays out. :D

Through a give-and-take process, many good points can come out, and many people can interact with each other....and we all can learn together. :D

Yes, I do love peacemaking, and yes, I do yearn for that Lakewood mythical all-together sing-a-long someday, but I'm also a realist. In order to get anywhere NEAR that goal, people have to talk, discuss, compromise at times, organize at times, and always STAND UP for what they believe in.

Of course, a few here have felt that I should have been even more proactive myself with this particular issue, but truth be told, I fight for MANY issues, and I pick my battles for those, both tactically and strategically. :D

Trust me, when I start kickin' and pickin', you'll know it. :wink:

Meanwhile, yay for 'Deck diversity! :D

Back to the banjo... :lol:

Bill Call

Postby Bill Call » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:19 pm

Gary Rice wrote:I for one, would LOVE to see MORE people come on the 'Deck and explain why they support whatEVER they support. Sure, they may have to roll with a few verbal thrusts, but GEESH, look at all these interactions, and see how this sort of thing plays out. :D

Most people miss that point.

What really bothers some people is that the existence of the Observer denied them the opportunity to " control the narrative".

The short version is that the Mayor and his supporters lied about every aspect of the deal. They used threats and intimidation. They filed false police reports. They fought open records requests.

What really bothers them is that Jim O'Bryan and others sought the truth.

The dirty deal is done. All we can do now is clean out City Hall. A clean sweep won't guarantee honesty, integrity or competence but it's a start.

Stan Austin
Contributor

Postby Stan Austin » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:36 pm

A simple test when a candidate for Lakewood office comes to your door in the coming weeks (woops, first test is Does the candidate or a volunteer come to your door) then "are you in favor of open and transparent government in Lakewood?

Dan Alaimo

Postby Dan Alaimo » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:13 pm

Stan Austin wrote:A simple test when a candidate for Lakewood office comes to your door in the coming weeks (woops, first test is Does the candidate or a volunteer come to your door) then "are you in favor of open and transparent government in Lakewood?

Seems to me everyone is in favor of "open and transparent government government." The question for me is how they define it and what is their track record if they have one. "Open and transparent" is easy to say, but not so easy to do.

“Never let a good crisis go to waste." - Winston Churchill (Quote later appropriated by Rahm Emanuel)

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”