Open letter to the current candidates

Send in your thoughts or notes to the editor of The Lakewood Observer. These letters might be used in the printed version of the Observer, so please leave contact information.

Moderator: Jim DeVito

Charyn Compeau

Open letter to the current candidates

Postby Charyn Compeau » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:15 am

While I understand it is early in the running, I want to express my thoughts to and about our current candidates running for mayor.

Demro:
Mr. Demro, I think you are very bright articulate man, who may have a wonderful future in politics. While I do not subscribe to the same political leanings as you, I find your willingness to stand before your words refreshing and your willingness to put yourself before the firing squad repeatedly a nice chance of pace from those that will back away from their convictions for political advancement.

Unfortunately, I believe that there is more required of this job than smarts and convictions. Right now, you lack experience and that lack of experience shows in some of the comments and actions you choose to take. In my opinion, it appears as thought you would be prone to rash decision making and/or unduly affected by conflicts with other. While this leads me to say that I do not believe I can vote for you now, I do hope that you stay on council and continue to build experience and understanding as I will be watching you as someone who very well might be a future leader in Lakewood.

Fitzgerald:
You are to me a consummate politician. You are also quite sharp and very often I believe you are spot on in your evaluations; however, I find your current and past behaviors lead me to believe that your desire for political growth would outweigh any desire to help the city of Lakewood grow. For this reason, I will not vote for you. We started many of our current troubles with a mayor (Cain) whose political ambitions conflicted with the needs and desires of Lakewood. I don't care to go there again.

George: Mayor, I have a deep understanding of just how hard you really do work to the benefit of the citizens of Lakewood. In truth, very few really realize how their lives are bettered by having you in office.

But that is my problem and why as of today I wouldn't vote for you: We, as citizens, need you to be our leader as well as our hard working administrative official. We need to be able to look to you for guidance, reassurance, comfort and security. Your silence is deafening and has many people doubting your abilities. It is so important for you to realize that all of the hard work you do will mean nothing if the citizens dont feel confident in your leadership.

And without a doubt Lakewood will have a harder time moving forward unless we feel confident in our council and our administration.

So the question is: who is left?

I would also ask that everyone realize (before I get flamed) that these are my perceptions. If I perceive things incorrectly it is their job to review their PR to understand why their messages are not being conveyed effectively. As a member of the voting public, I am the consumer of information. As a candidate they are the producers and distributors of information - it is incumbent upon them to produce a product that is received as they intend it to be received.

And of course, I understand that we have a ways to go and that my opinion might change over the next several months. Mayor might start speaking out more, Demro might calm down and at less divisive, and Fitzgerald might become less 'political'.

Or they might not. One of these people might be exactly what Lakewood wants, and thats ok. I just thought I'd share my thoughts and concerns as they stand at this time.

Always,
Charyn

Charyn Compeau

Postby Charyn Compeau » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:15 pm

Only from the tax man, Doug... only from the tax man

<g>

Suzanne Metelko

Postby Suzanne Metelko » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:56 pm

Charyn,

I appreciate your thoughtful post. I have one question: For the past fifteen years we've had "age and experience", how's that working for you?

I have two candidates with the same baggage, the same politics and the same perspective on planning. Those same candidates talk, talk, talk, but action never quite materializes.

I have one candidate with the still small voice, saying: The emperor has no clothes! For three years the young candidate with no experience has managed to execute more projects for the good of the entire community, and in the face of what looked like insurmountable odds than both the others. This candidate has been thoughtfully looking at the issues and has developed plans and strategies that the other two refused to consider because they had "age and experience". The young candidate has been trying to get the other two to focus on long range and financial planning. "Age and experience" are on the record about how they feel about planning. And their "age and experience" have led us to this:
we're in a serious financial situation because of the arrogance of "age and experience". As a 53 year old voter - I'll take my chances with "young leadership" who has exhibited energy, ability and listens to his community's concerns. As for Councilman Demro's "rash" comments, take the time to meet him and talk to him. In the past year, he has matured and I believe become the representative we can be proud of.

Suzanne Metelko

“The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter.â€
Charyn Compeau

Postby Charyn Compeau » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:38 pm

Suzanne,

I can absolutely understand your decision and I have no agenda to try to change your mind.

I do think, however, that equating experience with failure based upon the public perceptions of the last two administrations is a mistake. The issues are not due to age and experience - they are the results of the politics of the individuals in question. And I am certain that every person in this run IS a politician. Each with the a slightly different political style - but politicians all the same.

Like I said - Ill wait it out and see how each develops (or if others join the ring) - its a long, long time until November.

Always,
Charyn

Return to “Letters to the Editor”