Blair to announce British Pull Out of Iraq

Open and general public discussions about things outside of Lakewood.

Moderator: Jim DeVito

Grace O'Malley

Blair to announce British Pull Out of Iraq

Postby Grace O'Malley » Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:42 pm

From the main page at www.cnn.com

Britain will declare a timetable for the planned pull-out from Iraq.

Bush has lost his only ally.
Last edited by Grace O'Malley on Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ryan costa

volunteers

Postby ryan costa » Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:55 pm

Maybe Saudi Arabia will volunteer a few 10,000 troops...

Jeff Endress

Postby Jeff Endress » Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:16 pm

I wonder if it has anything to do with the Prince Harry going over to Iraq?

He's a freckle-faced royal rascal who has led a life of privilege. But Britain's Prince Harry is also an army officer - and he could soon be heading to Iraq to face the reality of combat.

No matter that royal officials have said no decision about a deployment has been made, or that the Ministry of Defense has dismissed such reports as "entirely speculative." Newspapers are filling their pages about the security headache that a war zone assignment for Harry - who is third in line to the throne - could bring for the British army.

http://www.cleveland.com/plaindealer/st ... xml&coll=2

Gee.....I wonder if the twins had graduated from the Point.......

To wander this country and this world looking for the best barbecue â€â€
Bret Callentine

Postby Bret Callentine » Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:53 am

It may be hard to imagine, but Blair has been under more pressure than Bush. So this move is not a suprise.

It will be interesting to see what reaction we see out of Washington.

It was a long shot to begin with, but Bush can definitely kiss his "surge" goodbye now.

David Boron

Postby David Boron » Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:21 am

It may be hard to imagine, but Blair has been under more pressure than Bush. So this move is not a suprise.

It will be interesting to see what reaction we see out of Washington.

It was a long shot to begin with, but Bush can definitely kiss his "surge" goodbye now.

I wonder if it has anything to do with the Prince Harry going over to Iraq?

Britain will declare a timetable for the planned pull-out from Iraq.

Bush has lost his only ally.

These stupid quotes, once again, proves that you on the left have no true knowledge of what is actually going on in Iraq, only what is being fed to you by the main stream, anti-American media.
Let me give y'all a little lesson. British forces are in southern Iraq. You didn't know this area existed; you never heard of it because it isn't Baghdad. It is a safe area, where attacks are low and and improvement is high, which means it is NOT to be covered by the anti-American media, which would prove the Bush policy is actually working. The British mission is winding down and their troops are not going to be needed in southern Iraq.

David C. Boron
I am tired of listening to those that are too chicken to pick up a rifle and defend their children let alone this nation, bitch about how the war is going. Grow a set and go over!
Mike Deneen

Postby Mike Deneen » Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:37 am

David....I agree that the prince has nothing to do with this (the queen has no actual power), but if the Brits did such a bang-up job cleaning up southern Iraq, why don't they send their boys into Baghdad to lend us a hand? They didn't leave early in WWII.

And where are those Australian troops? Their prime minister loves the war, so they should have a big presence, right?

Also, if this struggle is as important as your right-wing leaders claim, why is noone being asked to sacrifice? Why no rationing? Where is Rosie the Riveter?

Grace O'Malley

Postby Grace O'Malley » Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:26 am

Hmm...

Back in August the British abandoned Abu Naji in Amarah after heavy mortar and rocket fire. This was after repeated shelling over a period of time, The locals celebrated and looted the base.

Southern Iraq stable? Sounds more like the British finally recognized the futility and gave up there.

Can we say Vietnam?

Donald Farris

Postby Donald Farris » Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:54 am

Hi,
Here's another "stupid" quote:
"The Iraq war costs us (Americans) $ 10,000,000 an hour."

I am embarrassed when I think what a waste and how must bad is done with that money. I cry when I think of all the good that could be done with that amount of money.

We have accomplished many good things in Iraq as Jim Webb stated. It's time for us to leave and let the Iraqi determine their fate.

Mankind must put an end to war or
war will put an end to mankind.
--John F. Kennedy

Stability and peace in our land will not come from the barrel of a gun, because peace without justice is an impossibility.
--Desmond Tutu
Grace O'Malley

Postby Grace O'Malley » Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:00 am

Yeah, mavbe they could spend some of that money at Walter Reed.

Donald Farris

Postby Donald Farris » Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:08 am

Hi,
true, or provide health care for all Americans.

Just read Denmark is pulling their troops out by August.

There are many people recently elected to federal office to get us out too. I hope they find the courage to do what they've been elected to do.

Mankind must put an end to war or

war will put an end to mankind.

--John F. Kennedy

Stability and peace in our land will not come from the barrel of a gun, because peace without justice is an impossibility.

--Desmond Tutu
ryan costa

our great allies

Postby ryan costa » Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:40 pm

We have Great Allies in the Global War on terror. Saudi Arabians speak the same language as Iraqis. They have a 14 to 25 percent unemployment rate amongst men between the age of 18 and 64, while the median age of Males is 22.9 years. They presumably work for much less than American or European Soldiers.

America's on successful entry into World War II was in part possible because we had very high unemployment before entering.

So, why aren't the Saudis or Jordanians or other Allies doing the dirty work of Footpatrols in Iraq? They can speak the same language, that's a plus for being able to tell who is cool and who is not cool. That is a plus for building public support for the government/military leadership(usually). I don't know the exact answers, but I'm pretty sure those answers are an explanation of why our MIddle East policies are futile.

David Boron

Postby David Boron » Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:07 pm

Also, if this struggle is as important as your right-wing leaders claim, why is noone being asked to sacrifice? Why no rationing? Where is Rosie the Riveter?

To have Rosie the Riveter would mean YOU would have to be over in Iraq so YOUR wife could work on the production line.

David C. Boron

I am tired of listening to those that are too chicken to pick up a rifle and defend their children let alone this nation, bitch about how the war is going. Grow a set and go over!
David Boron

Postby David Boron » Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:12 pm

Back in August the British abandoned Abu Naji in Amarah after heavy mortar and rocket fire. This was after repeated shelling over a period of time, The locals celebrated and looted the base.

Southern Iraq stable? Sounds more like the British finally recognized the futility and gave up there.

You are talking of one attack in almost 4 years. Were the Brits in the process of leaving that base anyway? I do not know. I am not a British General Officer, and I am NOT going to believe what the press spits at us as to any reason why somebody or something reacts a certain way.
Oh, by the way, southern Iraq is quite stable.

David C. Boron

David Boron

Postby David Boron » Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:13 pm

I am embarrassed when I think what a waste and how must bad is done with that money. I cry when I think of all the good that could be done with that amount of money.

I am not embarrassed. Where would you have spent it, on some entitlement program? That is a waste.

David C. Boron

ryan costa

oh

Postby ryan costa » Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:29 pm

um...with this shining success in Southern Iraq, it might make more sense for these British Troops to join American Troops in places needing more troops. We're we are aiming the "surge" for. It's cool. They already speak English.

Rosie the riveter is already working somewhere or other. In the running-to-stand still global economy both parents usually work. Team George will support replacing their factory or mill jobs with imports, and the truck drivers with Mexican truckers driving trucks paid for by Americans who buy out Mexican trucking companies. Team George will ramp up Sprawl Subsidies: every American is entitled to a new sprawl house. If you can't keep up, and your old house is devalued by the new "Urbanity", that is just tough luck. Buy a house in the new sprawl. Your kids can pay for it in the next oil war.

In the good old days of the colonial past soldiers were paid mostly in alcohol, pork fat, and horsemeat. Sometimes they got some coupons for land on the frontier. Maybe we can go back to that, only soldiers can be paid with coupons towards foreclosed mortgages what had been bought with federally insured loans.

Return to “Global Discussion”