The Continuing Rewrite of History - Challenged! Horray!

Open and general public discussions about things outside of Lakewood.

Moderator: Jim DeVito

Donald Farris

The Continuing Rewrite of History - Challenged! Horray!

Postby Donald Farris » Thu May 26, 2005 12:57 pm

Hi,
I read in another blog about an exchange between Helen Thomas and Scott McClellan during yesterday's daily Press Briefing that shocked me on 2 fronts. First I was shocked that someone from the Press Corps would have the guts to highlight the revision of history this White House Administration attempts regularly. Second, when slapped with it I was shocked that Mr. McClellan would continue the attempt.

For those of you that are not glued to CSpan here's the exchange"
(from: Press Briefing by Scott McClellan on May 25th, 2005)

"MR. McCLELLAN: That's all I have to update at this moment. And with that, I'll be glad to go to your questions.

Q The other day -- in fact, this week, you said that we, the United States, is in Afghanistan and Iraq by invitation. Would you like to correct that incredible distortion of American history --

MR. McCLELLAN: No, we are -- that's where we currently --

Q -- in view of your credibility is already mired? How can you say that?

MR. McCLELLAN: Helen, I think everyone in this room knows that you're taking that comment out of context. There are two democratically-elected governments in Iraq and --

Q We're we invited into Iraq?

MR. McCLELLAN: There are two democratically-elected governments now in Iraq and Afghanistan, and we are there at their invitation. They are sovereign governments, and we are there today --

Q You mean if they had asked us out, that we would have left?

MR. McCLELLAN: No, Helen, I'm talking about today. We are there at their invitation. They are sovereign governments --

Q I'm talking about today, too.

MR. McCLELLAN: -- and we are doing all we can to train and equip their security forces so that they can provide for their own security as they move forward on a free and democratic future.

Q Did we invade those countries?

MR. McCLELLAN: Go ahead, Steve. ..."

Stan Austin
Contributor

Postby Stan Austin » Thu May 26, 2005 2:44 pm

Don-- You might also recall that the Soviet Union always insisted that they were invited into Poland, Czecholsovakia, Hungary, etc.
That guy in his skivies sure didn't invite us in :wink:

Stephen Calhoun

Postby Stephen Calhoun » Fri May 27, 2005 10:45 am

Scotty's a good soldier. It makes for good theatre too. Maybe a white house press secretary retrospective could play on stage.

What level of mendacity convinces me someone is intentionally trying to bullsh*t me?

Hmmm, a very low level.

Rove's spin machine is Goebbelsesque. It plugs into the tried and true model without any slop.

Return to “Global Discussion”