The Super Guppy Arrives With Artemis/Orion Spacecraft

Open and general public discussions about things outside of Lakewood.

Moderator: Jim DeVito

Jim O'Bryan

The Super Guppy Arrives With Artemis/Orion Spacecraft

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:22 pm

Sunday NASA's Super Guppy arrived at a very windy Mansfield Lahm Regional Airport, to deliver the Artemis/Orion Spacecraft which is on it's way to the Plum Brook Station just outside of Sandusky for environmental testing.

It is one of the oddest planes I have seen in my day.

The entire way to Mansfield they were expecting to cancel the arrival due to high winds, but they continued landing late in the day.

Deb asked one of the pilots of the Super Guppy about flying the odd shaped plane. She answered, "It flies like any other plane, except when it is windy, then things get interesting." Deb asked, "Well how was it landing here?" "Very,very interesting!" was the response with a smile.

Northern Ohio's favorite WKYC/NBC Weather Girl Betsy Kling takes a photo for her blog.

With the plane getting in late in the day, it was decided to unload it for the long trip to Sandusky at the crack of dawn.

As the sunsets on Mansfield Lahm Regional Airport and the Super Guppy.

5am next morning.

Instead of thousands only a small handful were there for the opening.

With sun just above the horizon, they open the Super Guppy for the first look at the cargo.

Before unloading the Artemis/Orion spacecraft, the crew meets for one last review of the plan. The special truck is brought in to remove the cargo. It has special wheels, suspension, steering and abilities. It has a track that lifts up to the cargo floor of the Super Guppy and matches a track there for the cargo. Then the cargo is brought out and locked in with over 32 bolts and devices to hold it in place. Then is it boltes in place for the 100 yard journey to the truck that will take in 62 miles north to Plum Brook Station.

A good look at the dashboard of the transfer vehicle. In the rear view mirror you see the eyes for the driver. A person standing next to him looking at the plane working with two people on the plane. I have to believe they work together often, because it took one try, and to me that was amazing.

Getting ready to unload the spacecraft. The entire lift can be regulated, the vehicle has multi-wheel steering and drive.

Artemis/Orion spacecraft on the transfer truck.

Side shot to show how it fit.

The nearly empty cargo bay.

The front.

Ladder to the cockpit.

Time for a group photo.

Spacecraft heads to the truck.

This is the truck that is taking it to Plum Brook Station. To get there it will avoid bridges and overpasses due to its height. Also wires will have to be manually lifted, and/or removed to get the cargo there. The 62 miles could take more than a day.

Nicole Smith's hard hat. Nicole is the project manager for the testing phase of this deal.

Why Mansfield Lahm Regional Airport? It has the longest runways in Northern Ohio as it is home to the Ohio National Guard C130s.

And when you have a cargo worth billions, you want a real long runway to stop if needed.

Thank you Jimi and Nicole at NASA, Mansfield Lahm Regional Airport, Mansfield Police, and all of the crew that was there, a great couple of days.

You can see all the photos at:
http://lakewoodobserver.com/photoblogs/jim-obryan/nasa-super-guppy-and-artemisorion-spacecraft

NASA Facts Sheets on Artemis/Orion: http://media.lakewoodobserver.com/media/docs_1575042937.pdf

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama

Return to “Global Discussion”