Hotlinking to photos from LO posts....

Open and general public discussions about things outside of Lakewood.

Moderator: Jim DeVito

Tim Liston

Hotlinking to photos from LO posts....

Postby Tim Liston » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:53 am

OK so how are you all linking to photos from cloud-based sources? By which I mean using the [img](photoURL)[/img] capability.

I used to use Photobucket, but they started charging money for hotlinking. And I've already started paying for Dropbox for file storage and other capabilities, but I can't seem to make it work for hotlinking, despite reading in places that it does. I just get a "cannot determine the dimensions of this image" error message. I really don't want to pay for and maintain another storage option like Photobucket just to get the hotlinking. I really like Dropbox so far and plan to use it for a ton of things.

I'm also presuming that all my previous LO posts with photos, the photos no longer appear. But I haven't looked to see. And Photobucket is pummeling my in-box trying to get me to buy. (Use promo code "HOSTNOW" for 10% off!)

Help me out....

Jim O'Bryan

Re: Hotlinking to photos from LO posts....

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:36 pm

Tim

Speaking for myself, I post to an LO photo blog, that way I know the image will stay with the same links, then go to the photogallery, click on image with "option" held down, a message comes up, copy image location and take that to the Deck and past then hit [img].

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Tim Liston

Re: Hotlinking to photos from LO posts....

Postby Tim Liston » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:38 pm

Hey I figured out how to hotlink images (.jpg, .png, .gif, etc.) from a Dropbox cloud folder. I feel happy of myself!

As an example I’m going to use a picture I have stored in my Dropbox (http://www.dropbox.com), an image of Cleveland Browns fans at their finest. Seems fitting the way this season is going. Of course I can just copy and paste the link from the file explorer, which you can then easily click on, to view the picture, but within the context of my Dropbox account. It will also let you download it but it doesn’t give you access to the rest of my Dropbox files without my permission.

Click to view: https://www.dropbox.com/s/22enujvfphnf1 ... D.png?dl=0

But “dropbox.com” (above) is the public shared link path. I found out that the actual link path uses “dl.dropboxusercontent.com” and if I replace “dropbox.com” with “dl.dropboxusercontent.com” in the URL above it will also display the picture, but within the default photo viewer you use and without all the Dropbox hoo-hah….

Click to view: https://www.dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s ... D.png?dl=0

But, and this is what I wanted to accomplish, I can also embed the actual link right above, now that I know it, between the [img]and[/img] tags and it will “hotlink,” which is to say it will display the picture without having to click on it. The [img]and[/img] tags take the place of some cumbersome HTML markup, making it easy as long as you know the actual URL….

The above picture is stored on a server somewhere by Dropbox, where I keep about 50Gb of business and personal files. It is NOT also stored locally in an LO photoblog or someplace where I have to replicate it. The image syntax in my post looks like this:

[img](the-actual-dl.dropboxusercontent.com-URL-link-above)[/img]

(Hey by the way I heard a friend say how thrilled he was that the Browns were headed to London this week. Then he heard they were coming back. Oh well….)

I like Dropbox a LOT. It kind of backs up your files automatically (but beware, it’s not an idiot-proof backup solution) and it permits access to those files (to view or download) from any device including a smartphone. It’s also super-easy to use. I wanted something for cloud file storage instead of Microsoft OneDrive or Google Drive. Getting hotlinking working with Dropbox is nice. I can get off Photobucket. Now I’m going to start exploring (as time permits) using cloud-based apps inside Dropbox. Like for backing up my cellphone, for password management, vehicle maintenance records, stuff like that. And I’d like to be able to work more effectively away from my office. If you call what I do “work”….

So yeah I figured it out. And like I said, I feel happy of myself! (celebrate with the very short, fun video below)

Return to “Global Discussion”