AT&T

Open and general public discussions about things outside of Lakewood.

Moderator: Jim DeVito

jackie f taylor

AT&T

Postby jackie f taylor » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:09 pm

Installed a wireless modem in my apartment about 1 yr ago. lets say my apartment is 100 ft. long, front to back, and has five rooms. The technician installed the modem at one end of the place, and in the farthest 2 rooms, my connection is weak or not at all. I called Dell computer, Microsoft, McAfee, Hewlett Packard, they all said my signal was too weak, too far from the modem.

I called AT&T and told them, the technician installed the modem where it was most convenient for him, (time spent in and out) not the most convenient for me. I need the modem relocated to a central room. She said, "we can do that jack, for $149.00". what? your going to charge me to correct your technicians error? Who do you think I am? Mayor Summers?

She is looking into fixing the problem, maybe sending a technician out here to relocate the modem. Now consider this, it's second floor, drilling thru brick, patching the old hole, (that would be me). Running more wire, I said, just give me a Wi-Fi extender, free, (what about $20.00 bucks, your cost), problem solved, I'm happy. She never heard of a WI-FI extender. Staples, Amazon sells them every day. AT&T does not have WI-FI extenders.
They're sending out a technician, to move the modem, NC thank you AT&T.

jackie f taylor

Re: AT&T

Postby jackie f taylor » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:17 pm

Jack, I agree with you, AT&T should have provided you with a simple WI-FI extender, plug it in anywhere, issue gone, no technician, no ladders, no drill, no wire, no hassle. Who is running AT&T ? Trump ?

fi

jackie f taylor

Postby jackie f taylor » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:42 pm

well, my call with AT&T got disconnected, they appointment for the technician was never made, I called back today and they have no record of the proposed solution, I had to start all over again, they told me, it would cost $150.00 for the technician to move the modem. In the kitchen, next to the modem I have 3 bars of connectivity. In each room that I move to, further from the modem, the bars decrease. In the front room, I get more bars from Barrio's Wi-Fi, than I do mine, which is from AT&T, and I pay them $60.00 a month for nothing. I guess I'll just visit Barrio's, get their WI-FI password and connect to their WI_FI, problem solved. Thanks AT&T for screwing me.

jackie f taylor

Postby jackie f taylor » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:39 pm

The technician is coming Thursday. 8:30. I will let you know what happens. I have 3 bars in the kitchen, right next to the modem, it's good, I have one or no bars in my bedroom, office. No bars in the front room or on the porch. wtf. I get better reception from Barrio's.

Tim Liston

Postby Tim Liston » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:47 pm

Jackie how did your latest encounter with AT&T go?

Do you know the difference between a modem and a router? The modem converts the signal coming in from your cable wire to something your computer will understand. It should be located at the cable entry point, which yes is usually not central. The router is plugged into the modem and distributes the modem's signal throughout your apartment. Sometimes. Your modem probably has both functions (modem and router) built into the same unit. And yes, another router can usually be configured as a repeater. You put it halfway away from your modem, a room or two over, and it will cover the rest of your apartment. I have the same issue in my house, big thick lathe/plaster walls and I use an additional router as a repeater. And the far end of my house still suffers.

But my old 802.11g routers are getting long in the tooth. I'm starting to look into "mesh" networks which have been out for 2-3 years now. I have a pretty good idea what I need and I have an advantage, a guy who works at my company who knows this stuff cold. I'll probably get Google mesh wifi because the additional access points all have an Ethernet port, so I can plug my laser printer into one. Plus it's relatively inexpensive. If I don't get the Google mesh wifi I'll probably go with Eero. No ethernet port on the access points but it supports more wireless protocols, including Thread. And the access points simply plug into the wall like a nightlight. I want to be able to use the same network for home automation. My guy tells me to stay away from Orbi (Netgear) and Linksys mesh wifi.

How did you fare?

jackie f taylor

Postby jackie f taylor » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:26 pm

At&T came this morning at 8:30 am, the technician looked around and said, "the first installer took the easy route, the most and quickest place for him, to install the modem, but not the best for you", he should have installed the modem in a center location. He gave me and installed a Wi-Fi extender, now I have a good connection to the front balcony. Thank you AT&T, it was a painful long drawn out war, but so far, I'm finally getting what I was paying for. Now you will hear more from me than ever.

jackie f taylor

Postby jackie f taylor » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:52 pm

Thanks Tim, great info, Seems everytime I called AT&T, I had to explain everything the problem, (as if they don't know already), to them all over again, every agent was new, they had to misplace my customer experiences, but it's over. thank you AT&T.

Return to “Global Discussion”