America and Russia

Open and general public discussions about things outside of Lakewood.

Moderator: Jim DeVito

mjkuhns

America and Russia

Postby mjkuhns » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:01 pm

Sorry, nothing about Michael Flynn or ambassador Kislyak here. I'm actually just posting a footnote to Mr. Bentley's comments in another thread.
bentleymike wrote:We (the U.S.) stood with the Soviets during two World Wars, because we both knew it was in our best interests at the time.
The US only allied with the Soviet Union in the second world war. Russia was an ally of the Atlantic powers in WWI, but the Romanov government was on its way out by the time America really got involved. Russia's interim, parliamentary government tried to keep fighting, which probably contributed to its own eclipse by the Soviet revolutionaries. Upon taking over, they promptly quit the war.

To the extent that the Atlantic powers had any relations with Soviet government during the remainder of WWI, it was mostly an attempt to undermine them and restore a government that would resume fighting Germany.

I post this here because Mr. Bentley made a very reasonable complaint of thread drift… and because I'm possibly just getting carried away in any event. :wink:

:: matt kuhns ::

Return to “Global Discussion”