Restaurants

Open and general public discussions about things outside of Lakewood.

Moderator: Jim DeVito

jackie f taylor

Restaurants

Postby jackie f taylor » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:03 pm

I sure wish there were more buffet type restaurants, like the Oriental Palace, in the Warren Village Shopping Plaza, or the Indian Garden, in western Lakewood on Detroit. where I could select and pick what looks good, fill my container, and enjoy it for dinner at home later. Guess they are not successful. I went to Aladdin's tonight, got some dish called "Aladdin's Favorite Combo", I got a little skinny piece of grilled chicken breast, (dry) a little sausage, like a breakfast sausage, and 4 or 5 pieces of grilled meat, cut in 1" cubes, and a salad, (salad was in the same container as the rice, it wilted from the heat), served over a big bed of rice, $14.00. oh yes, and came with pita bread. I guess this is now the norm. I wasn't impressed. You can get a great burger at many local spots in Lakewood, but if you don't eat it there, by the time you get home, it's a dried beef patty. So many processed foods, all delivered from a plastic container, reheated when ordered, I may as well shop at Gordon Food Service.

Giant Eagle, Bob Evans, nothing is made from scratch, everything is made in a big kitchen, generic, and delivered to the establishment, in plastic containers, portions are reheated and served. I always feel like I'm at a nursing home or in the hospital or still in high school. Is there an older grandma out there who enjoys cooking and can serve up some good grub? I used to visit "A Taste of Europe" on Madison, I tried there stuffed cabbage, it had more rice than cheap ground beef, when you cut into it, it fell apart, not enough beef to hold it together? No flavor, she should call it, "rice stuffed cabbage", I would gladly pay extra, why not make it the best you can instead of the most you can make, $$$$. Breakfast is the one meal which has to be made from scratch, almost, when ordered, eggs, bacon, home fries, pancakes, toast. Do I have to settle for breakfast all day long? At least at a buffet, I can select what I want, instead of taking what they offer on the menu, a hit and miss experience.

I know Bob, I like Bob, but when I went to the "Beer Engine" I ordered a naked burger with grilled onions, $7.50 and 1.00 for the onion, it arrived with a single slice of grilled onion, A SINGLE SLICE? for a $1.00, it wasn't even big enough to cover the patty, I can buy a pound of onions for 99 cents, I got one slice of onion,? really? Cheese was an extra $34.00 dollars, just kidding. But how much would it cost Bob to load up on grilled onions? .50 cents? He's charging a dollar for one slice?, I'm starving and have no decent, reasonable place to eat. I don't care if you know who I am or not, this is my review. I don't know if I should post this or not. I'm not condemning anyone, just making a point. my opinion.

Jim O'Bryan

Re: Restaurants

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:53 pm

jackie

Have you tried the buffet at Indian Garden, most days it is one of the best meals and values in town at lunch.
Pier W, has a pretty good lunch menu, some dinner favorites at half the price.
Coffee Pot, won best burger in town a couple years back and it is still damn good. $5.75 with fries.
The Stew at Woodstock is a taste treat, it opens after 4 is $5.00 and will fill you up.
Greek Village, a great deal.
Barrio $3.00 tacos

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
jackie f taylor

Postby jackie f taylor » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:31 pm

Jim, thanks for all the recommendations, I'll check them out, we need a post featuring just restaurants, reviews, suggestions, deal of the day. I love Indian Garden, fill up your take out container, enough for two days. The Oriental Palace, that's a hit & miss, I do enjoy there soup, I get a nice container and add to it when I get home. A quart is just about $4.00. Any reviews about the Wood Stock? Or the Porky Pig on Detroit? I used to enjoy the cafeteria at Lakewood Hospital, breakfast, lunch & dinner, how good can hospital food be?

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:12 am

jackie f taylor wrote:Jim, thanks for all the recommendations, I'll check them out, we need a post featuring just restaurants, reviews, suggestions, deal of the day. I love Indian Garden, fill up your take out container, enough for two days. The Oriental Palace, that's a hit & miss, I do enjoy there soup, I get a nice container and add to it when I get home. A quart is just about $4.00. Any reviews about the Wood Stock? Or the Porky Pig on Detroit? I used to enjoy the cafeteria at Lakewood Hospital, breakfast, lunch & dinner, how good can hospital food be?

The Oriental Palace is a favorite of Gary Rice.

The hospital cafeteria was good food at a good price, now that also have moved to Fairview Hospital.

I reviewed Woodstock, and Southern Cafe, both great food. Doug Tratnor of Cleveland Magazine called Woodstock best BBQ in Cleveland.

http://lakewoodobserver.com/read/2016/09/13/woodstock-brings-smoking-good-bbq-to-lakewood

http://lakewoodobserver.com/read/2016/09/13/southern-cafe-damn-was-that-good

jackie, the essence of the Observer is, "you write the review."

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
jackie f taylor

Postby jackie f taylor » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:43 pm

Soup is one of my favorite foods, excellent for take out, tastes just as good reheated anytime. (hamburger or steaks, not so much) Most times the soups are filled with every nutrient you need all day, vegetables, pasta, rice, noodles, beans, potatoes, and protein, sometimes creamy, sometimes a broth like base, I've been visiting the Winking Lizard" lately, they promise their soups are homemade, every day a different soup, most I like, which then of course, I look when they're having it again, and some of the soups, maybe not so much. bust mostly a good deal, a good meal. The Tick Tock also has some real tasty soups, surprised? me too. What I like about the Winking Lizard is they print out a place mat, like a menu sheet, which features the whole months of lunch & soups specials, take the menu home, keep it in your car, your all set, the Tick Tock, I have to call every day to see what the soup is. Taste of Europe has a "Chicken Lemon Rice" soup, I give that a big 10 on taste, delish and different. Any suggestions out there for soup at our local spots?

jackie f taylor

Re: Miller's Restaurant

Postby jackie f taylor » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:26 pm

Remember them? any night of the week that was such a treat, going out for dinner, dining with mom, servers walking around with trays of "honey buns, dinner rolls, bread, butter, all tables, no booths, why doesn't someone open something like that again. why didn't someone buy it and let it live on? A landmark, a true Lakewood tradition. gone, the Detroit theater, gone, if it weren't for Madison Avenue, I wouldn't know I was in Lakewood, the Hillard Theater, will be gone. They should have saved and restored the façade of The Lakewood High School, and built around it.

The bOSTON mARKET, in Marc's Plaza, a Stouffers wanna be, in your freezer section, a drive inn, park, go in, take home, ready to eat. generic, So many restaurants are like that anymore. Where do you take your mom today? Bob Evans? No better than any other, a Gordon Food Service like factory, just a chain of restaurants. I'm starving.

jackie f taylor

Postby jackie f taylor » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:17 pm

we need to remember, the "India Garden, that great little restaurant on the "west end" of Detroit, they have a lunch buffet, all you can eat, $10.99, or take out, you get a Styrofoam container, fill it up, plus bread, plus soup, plus condiments. Everyday, different offerings, but always soup, bread, condiments. pts? 10. Wonderful. Also our very own "Taste of Europe" was on Fox 8 today, New Day in Cleveland featured middle eastern foods, there she was, very nice spot,

Return to “Global Discussion”