Glorify War????

Open and general public discussions about things outside of Lakewood.

Moderator: Jim DeVito

Tim Liston

Glorify War????

Postby Tim Liston » Sun May 25, 2014 7:25 pm

I posted a similar post here almost exactly a year ago. Probably will do so every year at this time, as a reminder to all….

There is a thread in another LO forum about a ceremony during which little impressionable uniformed know-nothing Boy Scouts and others mourned (but yet celebrated) the loss of military men and women that took place during numerous past wars, goaded by alleged grown-ups..

I’m finding it incredulous and frankly reprehensible that we are teaching our children to glorify war. Maybe if those little boys saw a strapping adult ripped apart down to their skeleton they might have second thoughts....

My cousin Ted “fought” for barely more than a month in Vietnam, and on May 8, 1969 his body was severely carved up, after which he was brought home in a wood box. Ted was 20 years old when he was killed. TWENTY…. My God he’s really still a boy! I bet they told him that silly helmet would save his life. Image

Ted was a few years older than me but because we were cousins and because we lived next door to each other growing up, we were very close. Caught snakes together, stuff like that. Ted is buried in Berlin Heights, Ohio and I will travel there tomorrow like I do every year to miss and remember him.

I can’t believe we are glorifying war to ten-year-old ignorant Boy Scouts. That SICKENS me. If you’ve never witnessed a military funeral, the 21-gun salute, the flag removed from the casket then smartly folded and handed to a sobbing mom, and of course taps, I can tell you it just rips you apart! Ted was his parents’ only son. His family was never EVER the same. But they do give you a little sticker you can put in a window that indicates that your offspring died needlessly. Woo-hoo!

I could say something to the effect that I will never understand why we continue to go to war, but I think I understand why. I just don’t agree with the reasons….

Happy Memorial Day all. The weather tomorrow will be beautiful. Too bad the holiday cause is so misguided…..

Gary Rice

Re: Glorify War????

Postby Gary Rice » Mon May 26, 2014 5:12 pm

Tim, my friend,

You and I have greatly agreed, and greatly disagreed from time to time.

Regarding your post here, I think that I feel both ways. I cannot preach to you, console you, or criticize you for your views, for that is your right as an American. Nor, in many ways, would I wish to disagree with your feelings, for many of them are indeed similar to my own.

Still, Friday's assembly at Garfield was in no way an infomercial for the glorification of war or militarism. I was there... and at no time did I hear anything uttered to that effect. To the contrary, it was what it was, a recognition for the service of those who did not return while serving their country, and a statement of appreciation for the service of those veterans in attendance, as well as a special remembrance held for those missing in action or who are/were prisoners of war.

It was indeed presented for the principal reason of honoring your cousin, and all others fallen while in the service of their country.

I identify deeply with your grief, and while I cannot know your personal pain, I do know my own very well. Mom lost a close cousin on D-Day, and often told me about him, and how much I was like him. Just a few years back, I stood over the casket of a former student who had lost his life in Iraq, and I wept beyond consolation. While I am not a veteran, I have been close to many, including my own father.

Please know that you are not alone in your grief. A Lakewood friend's brother died in Vietnam. Another dear friend of mine came back nearly destroyed by that war, and still struggles each and every day.

The Boy Scouts and their leaders, (of whom Dad and I are both registered Scouters too) and indeed the students and staff and veterans who attended and participated at the Garfield remembrance understood very well that the ceremonies were not about the glorification of war or militarism. Scouting, by the way, is not a para-military organization either, for those who may wonder.

At the risk of redundancy, I will here again reiterate that at no time was there an attempt to glorify either war or militarism. Indeed what glory, what possible sense of glory could be added to the unselfish service and heroic deeds of people like your cousin?

Do you revile war? So do I, and so does every, EVERY veteran with whom I've ever spoken.

Do you seek it's end? So do I, and so does every, EVERY veteran with whom I've spoken.

Would you instead prefer that NO public remembrance be held, whether in schools, or in communities to honor the fallen soldiers as you yourself are doing privately today? There is indeed private grief, but then, there is a communal grief as well.

I, and indeed every American, all grieve for your cousin and all those fallen in the service of our country, and we honored their memories on Friday at Garfield. I hope that, in some small way, you will find some small consolation in this fact.

By the way, relatives of the fallen are always welcome at this remembrance.

Tim Liston

Postby Tim Liston » Wed May 08, 2019 6:00 pm

My cousin Ted was killed in Vietnam 50 years ago today.

A few days back I saw this article (click here). Its six prescriptions for curbing our military mania seem like a good start to me.

When are we going to wise up?

ryan costa

Postby ryan costa » Fri May 10, 2019 4:57 am

This William Astore fellow is very pessimistic.
If it is any consolation, most of the refugees from our Middle East policies end up in Europe.

"shall we have peace" - Henry Charles Carey

Return to “Global Discussion”