Example of how kids are scared into liberalism in college

Open and general public discussions about things outside of Lakewood.

Moderator: Jim DeVito

Ryan Salo

Example of how kids are scared into liberalism in college

Postby Ryan Salo » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:45 pm

A student at Tri-C west told me today that his Professor Geffert, a GEOGRAPHY prof asked all the kids to raise their hands who had voted. Then said that only TEABAGGERS vote for issue 2.

Kids are scared into the closed mindedness when these wack job liberal teachers abuse their positions in matters that are not even close to their expertise.

Could you imagine if a conservative teacher would have said something like that on the pro-marriage acts or similar laws?

Ryan Salo
Ivor Karabatkovic

Re: Example of how kids are scared into liberalism in colleg

Postby Ivor Karabatkovic » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:56 pm

could you imagine posting in the Lakewood General Discussion about topics that actually have to do with Lakewood, not Tri-C west (that's 25 minutes away)?

"Hey Kiddo....this topic is much more important than your football photos, so deal with it." - Mike Deneen
Ivor Karabatkovic

Postby Ivor Karabatkovic » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:07 pm

.....(just sayin').

I'm in the Central Time Zone now, so I have one more hour of hell raising opportunities.

Back to the discussion!

"Hey Kiddo....this topic is much more important than your football photos, so deal with it." - Mike Deneen
Thealexa Becker

Postby Thealexa Becker » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:41 pm

Ryan Salo wrote:A student at Tri-C west told me today that his Professor Geffert, a GEOGRAPHY prof asked all the kids to raise their hands who had voted. Then said that only TEABAGGERS vote for issue 2.

Kids are scared into the closed mindedness when these wack job liberal teachers abuse their positions in matters that are not even close to their expertise.

Could you imagine if a conservative teacher would have said something like that on the pro-marriage acts or similar laws?

One example does not make a rule.

You just honed in on one example of foolishness. No one should be making such sweeping political statements in what should be a politically neutral setting. That just shows ignorance of the speaker about their audience. You never know who is listening and words must be chosen carfully.

I'm reading about myself sitting in a laundromat, reading about myself sitting in a laundromat, reading about myself...my head hurts.
Grace O'Malley

Postby Grace O'Malley » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:12 pm

Unless you were in that classroom, you have no idea what was actually said.

Haven't you ever heard of that game called "Telephone?"

If each student in that room repeated what was said (if anything), I guarantee there would be several versions. By the time the story gets passed around from the students to the outside public, its likely unrecognizable.

I personally wouldn't get my panties in a bunch over what was supposedly said, but go ahead if you like.

Ryan Salo

Postby Ryan Salo » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:28 pm

Grace,

A student at Tri-C west told me today that his Professor Geffert

No telephone going on here, he was in the class and was shocked at what was said. Thankfully he is smart enough to tell people that can let the proper people know how foolish this teacher is.

Ryan Salo
ryan costa

Postby ryan costa » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:40 pm

college students are....some kind of adult.
hopefully...this was not too scary for them???

"shall we have peace" - Henry Charles Carey
Brian Pedaci

Postby Brian Pedaci » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:10 pm

Imagine a world where students could discern the difference between when a professor is speaking opinion and when they are conveying fact. Imagine a world where this offended student would have had the testicular fortitude and critical thinking skills to tell this professor exactly how and why he's wrong, right there in the classroom instead of running home and complaining on the internet (or wherever else) about it.

Ryan Salo

Postby Ryan Salo » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:42 pm

Brian,

I agree. The challenge is that this is where the fear comes into play. If he complains his grade may suffer, whether you believe that or not it is a reality now in most classes. Liberal free speech is viewed much different that conservative free speech in todays classrooms.

Ryan Salo
Thealexa Becker

Postby Thealexa Becker » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:08 pm

Ryan Salo wrote:Brian,

I agree. The challenge is that this is where the fear comes into play. If he complains his grade may suffer, whether you believe that or not it is a reality now in most classes. Liberal free speech is viewed much different that conservative free speech in todays classrooms.

Are you sure about that?

I think you are generalizing again.

You are aware that professors can get in trouble for messing with grades right?

I'm reading about myself sitting in a laundromat, reading about myself sitting in a laundromat, reading about myself...my head hurts.
Roy Pitchford

Postby Roy Pitchford » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:24 am

Thealexa Becker wrote:
Ryan Salo wrote:Brian,

Are you sure about that?

I think you are generalizing again.

You are aware that professors can get in trouble for messing with grades right?

You mean intentionally failing a student even if their scores were passing? I'm sure if the student had the graded papers to show, then yes, the professor would probably get in trouble.

However, if a teacher was smart, which they all must be since we look to them to educate the children, they could simply grade students they dislike (for whatever reason) harsher. It doesn't even have to be intentional.
"I'm sorry, you didn't explain that answer thoroughly enough."
3 points here, 5 points there, it all adds up. Maybe it doesn't end up with a failing grade, but it could for some.
Obviously, if we are talking about a history or political science class, it gets worse.

Math-related courses would be the only place where I think this wouldn't work since its pretty cut-and-dry when you work out an answer.

Thealexa Becker

Postby Thealexa Becker » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:46 am

Unless the professor did something TO the student, I don't understand how this is any different that some random person expressing an opinion. I certainly don't understand the comments about them being afraid. I am assuming the student in question is an adult. Why one adult would be afraid of a professor making a comment like that, which is unrealted to material and not directed specifically at them is beyond me. Annoyed? Yeah I could see that. Upset? Maybe. But afraid? That's a little extreme.

Should the professor have made the comment? No, probably not.

Is this an indication of some mass gross misconduct in higher education facilities? No.

What I am trying to say is that a single, isolated incident does not constitute a rule for either side. And if the student was really so bothered, they should have mentioned it anonymously to the head of the department. What scares me is that this student seems crippled because of one comment and doesn't realize there are discrete ways of expressing discontent with a professor's conduct without being inflamatory yourself.

Roy Pitchford

Postby Roy Pitchford » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:29 am

Thealexa Becker wrote:Unless the professor did something TO the student, I don't understand how this is any different that some random person expressing an opinion. I certainly don't understand the comments about them being afraid. I am assuming the student in question is an adult. Why one adult would be afraid of a professor making a comment like that, which is unrealted to material and not directed specifically at them is beyond me. Annoyed? Yeah I could see that. Upset? Maybe. But afraid? That's a little extreme.

Should the professor have made the comment? No, probably not.

Is this an indication of some mass gross misconduct in higher education facilities? No.

What I am trying to say is that a single, isolated incident does not constitute a rule for either side. And if the student was really so bothered, they should have mentioned it anonymously to the head of the department. What scares me is that this student seems crippled because of one comment and doesn't realize there are discrete ways of expressing discontent with a professor's conduct without being inflamatory yourself.

1. Professors have a unique position of authority over their students, regardless of their respective ages. They are responsible for your grades, as previously stated, but there is also that air of superiority because, well, they are the teacher and you are the student. You are there to learn from them, they must be better than you.

2. Teachers shouldn't be there to express their opinions any more than the newscaster on the 10PM news. Give me the facts.
If this teacher wanted to have any intellectual debate about the merits of issue 2, hey, that's great, but to insult students in the process is the wrong way to do it. So, on that point we agree.

3. This is not widespread, I will agree, but nor is it an isolated incident. What worries me is the institutionalization of partisan or opinionated subjects.
For example:
A Tucson school is teaching a "Mexican-American Studies" curriculum which promotes the idea that Mexico should retake the lands that were won and paid for by the United States in the Mexican War. It also states that the white man is the oppressor of Hispanics.
In a Georgia middle school, when teaching about the pros and cons of school uniforms, a lesson plan included a "letter" promoting sharia law.
In Oklahoma, we find "Flocabulary" which teaches through music that "White men getting richer than Enron. They stepping on Indians, women and blacks. Era of Good Feeling doesn’t come with the facts."
In addition to New York's rubber rooms (whole other debate there), we find the 2-hour long "Speak Truth to Power" program created by Van Jones and brought to the state's schools by the Robert F. Kennedy Center for Justice and Human Rights.

ryan costa

Postby ryan costa » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:44 pm

it is possible...the professor who made the joke about teabaggers...was a conservative.
Conservatives can have low opinions of the present TeaParty movement too.
For example, I am pretty conservative, and I have a low opinion of the Tea Party Movement.

as for your list of examples Roy...they seem like the usual sixth-hand information you distend to a seventh hand of contextlessness and inaccuracy. especially items 3.

As for SHARIA...that is a conservative idea. Once we overthrew the Hussein regime...the liberated Iraqis voted to reinstate SHARIA. this is also something the Liberated Libyans have expressed enthusiasm about. the liberated conservatives of Iraq and Libya...are taking their country back. I'd CHALK this up as a FAILURE of U.S.policy....if the U.S. had any clear policies to begin with.

"shall we have peace" - Henry Charles Carey
Gaby Smith

Postby Gaby Smith » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:56 pm

I know this is an old post, but I have a relevant reply. I am a student at Tri-C and had a similar experience as the one you described only the instructor I had abused his platform to spout out conservative ideals such as global warming is a "myth" and a "hoax". Either way, announcing political ideals in a classroom and abusing the platform of instructor is wrong regardless of which end of the spectrum they fall. I think a more relevant discussion is the lack of professionalism amongst instructors at this Tri-C rather than a generalization that "kids are scared into liberalism in college." I earned my previous degree from a liberal arts college and I can tell you that not one of my professers there ever divulged their political leanings let alone openly asked students to divulge theirs.

Return to “Global Discussion”