Book Store?

Businesses and consumers are encouraged to post and update information about any local business.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Charlie Page

Betsy Voinovich

Re: Book Store?

Postby Betsy Voinovich » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:52 am

Hi all, happy Sunday.

Jim, what's this VAL thing again?

I think I remember hearing it stands for Visionary Alignment for Lakewood--- I guess we are participating in it, if we are posting on the Deck, if the Observer project is part of it. It seems to be coming up in this thread and I'm not sure what it is in regard to this thread.

Thanks.

Betsy

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:30 am

Betsy Voinovich wrote:Hi all, happy Sunday.

Jim, what's this VAL thing again?

I think I remember hearing it stands for Visionary Alignment for Lakewood--- I guess we are participating in it, if we are posting on the Deck, if the Observer project is part of it. It seems to be coming up in this thread and I'm not sure what it is in regard to this thread.

Thanks.

Betsy

Betsy

The Visionary Alignment For Lakewood was a project started and headed by Lakewood Public Library Director Kenneth Warren. A group of professionals and academia that could
be called upon for unbiased input on various project that churned up from the bottom
of "the thought puddle."

A perfect example would be the Lakewood Observer, and projects that flowed out of it.

It was obvious that Lakewood was not being served by any of he media sources. The Sun
had almost no coverage of Lakewood, the PD showed up for crimes. So the wheels were
put into place. Over the course of many, many meetings the Observer sprung up. Designed
to not compete with any media project out there at the time, and certainly not compete
with Lakewood businesses. Also we knew there needed to be one seat at the table for
discussion for everyone. While we knew we could not make a horse drink the water, we
could make sure that they could never have an excuse for not participating in the discussion
of our city. Along the ways were cost, how, software, sustainability, green issues, etc. At the
end of the project was the community owned Lakewood Observer. As you know, there is
no more open or democratic project in the city.

Another of the 32 original projects was "Food Security." This took the form of Ken and Dan's LO Gourmet Food Security Network. A bunch of like minded people kicking in
studying, committing, and then executing. Through the project, more came on, LEAF
was chosen as a name, and they have grown. Again a long hard look at what was available
here, what was being asked for, and how could something be done that would add to the
landscape not compete with what is here. This is completely different from starting a
"farmer's market" to get even or control the process for personal gain.

Which brings us to Burgers. It is far different from a publicly funded group to work to bring
in businesses that compete with businesses here, and competitor showing up at our door.
The number one reason Lakewood is booming is the media the Melt is causing. Matt has
a media machine. It gets so much press that it attracts restaurants. When you check the
Melt out and their 2 hour+ wait, a restaurateur would want a piece of that. To me, no one
plays this better than Rozi's with their sign, "Waiting for a table at the Melt? Stop in, try
some wine and shop."

What the VAL would have done, is seen what is missing on the food spectrum, and decide
do we need it, do we need it now or at what point, how can it be funded in a sustainable
way, ie no grants, and how does it add to the landscape of the community?

Other interesting aspects of the VAL, is trying to do as much as possible with assets there,
trying to not use government or taxpayers resources, and really working towards no
negatives for the community. While it sounds idealistic, it is actually very, very easy to
do with the right people in place. It grinds to a halt, the second government, and control
get thrown into the mix.

I would say that the LO, and our board(s) Ken Warren included and members have
become a large chunk of The VAL 2025. Open to all, readily processing information, and
willing to work with all as long as they are willing to work as well. We have ZERO interest
in control of any project including the Lakewood Observer.

I hope that answers some of your questions. You have the added disadvantage of working
with me on many projects. So you can see and hear the VAL in many things we do. So
thank you for slowing me down to describe, what the VAL is.

Did I answer anything?

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Jill Jusko

Postby Jill Jusko » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:41 am

I'm confused about one thing mentioned in the VAL explanation and the LO. In the explanation Mr. O'Bryan just provided, the LO is identified as a community owned newspaper. Yet in other threads I thought I had read that Mr. O'Bryan owned the Observer. Can you clarify?

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:18 pm

Jill Jusko wrote:I'm confused about one thing mentioned in the VAL explanation and the LO. In the explanation Mr. O'Bryan just provided, the LO is identified as a community owned newspaper. Yet in other threads I thought I had read that Mr. O'Bryan owned the Observer. Can you clarify?

Jill

Every Observer is owned by someone in that community. A majority of the Collinwood
Observer, is owned by someone in Collinwood. We actually have gone through 3 publishers
there. It is one of the key components. Observers also have an advisory board that has
a say and interest in the paper. Recently we have put in a Community Board to guide the
project, and they are already making a difference in this paper. This would be different
from other projects we have worked on or are working on like The Ohio City Argus. Their
format does not have the same level of community input an Observer paper does.

If you go back and look at the history of the Observer, and our projects(VAL) you will see
none are about ownership, but it is all about putting up. What I had was time and $$$$$
to get this going. I am currently the caretaker of this, nothing more. Myself and the AB
has been looking at way to give others ownership. Recently three different people have
looked seriously at taking the project over. All three found it took more effort then they
were prepared to give. In the end, a publisher has to accept the responsibility of paying
the bills, and legal issues and the time needed.

We want publishers that live in community to make them "real community" papers. If
a non-profit cannot afford an ad, we still run it. If a business cannot afford an ad, let's
see how many different ways we can get their information out. EVERY civic group is
guaranteed space in the paper and/or online. City, Schools, Library, or others.

If the Book store makes it. It will be a group/person that will have the most invested,
moving it into a form they see fit. Maybe a co-op, maybe a S-corp, I would hope not
a non-profit, or flat venture. But that is not for me to decide.

Thanks for asking.

Thought you stopped reading. :wink:

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

Werner Heisenberg

Jill Jusko

Postby Jill Jusko » Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:01 pm

I try to keep up with all of the various outlets of Lakewood information.

Thanks for the ownership clarification.

Kristine Pagsuyoin

Postby Kristine Pagsuyoin » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:53 pm

Kristine, an international/independent newsstand is desperately needed. I think too much of our information is spoonfed. Discussion groups and lectures would certainly add to the richness of a place like this.

I was thinking...I don't remember posting about this. Then I remember, I laid out the whole crazy plan to you last summer-ish...keep the name to yourself. :lol:

Christopher Bindel

Postby Christopher Bindel » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:50 pm

It sounds like you all have a very student union like idea you are talking about, which is fitting since colleges were started on the idea of having a place for people to meet and share ideas and be educated. I think it could be a good project to bring together many aspects of the community. I am interested to see where this discussion goes.

If a non-profit cannot afford an ad, we still run it. If a business cannot afford an ad, let's see how many different ways we can get their information out. EVERY civic group is guaranteed space in the paper and/or online.

If this is a case then why were several articles by a non-profit organization trying to educate people about different restaurants that Lakewood has to offer, and announcing their next events never printed? And that the reason given for them not being printed was because the restaurants that the organization was was discussing were not add sponsors.

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:34 am

Christopher Bindel wrote:If this is a case then why were several articles by a non-profit organization trying to educate people about different restaurants that Lakewood has to offer, and announcing their next events never printed? And that the reason given for them not being printed was because the restaurants that the organization was was discussing were not add sponsors.

Christopher

Well for a start EOL is not a 501C3, while it does not make a profit(debatable) it is not a
non-profit serving the needs of the community. Also the non-profits coming in for "free
ads" and articles have sat down with management so that the Observer could evaluate if
they are real or just a club which would still allow them to submit. (Still waiting for that
meeting.) I think you mean ad sponsors, and I believe we have run some. So Chris do I
pull the "Go Green" article, the H20 article, maybe the House Tour which the LO has a long
history of working together with or the what?

Please note that we run many articles about non-advertisers. Just this week we ran Tess'
Tender Touch, who is not an advertiser. This spring we ran Lakewood Gardens, another
non-advertiser. Ask both the word "ad" never came up. When we ran the review for 2
Dads Diner he was not at advertiser but saw the amazing response for the article and
became an advertiser. But at no point did 2 Dads know they were getting a review. It
was not I will write this review and get it in the paper for an ad. That just does not happen.
You reason why they did not run is an out right lie, which might be why you are not willing
to meet.

As for "that organization" please call and make that meeting you promised. I will tell you
that the LO Board generally takes a dim view of people using our registered logo on ads
and posters that were never approved by anyone at the LO, and when that person, not
really a group makes promises that were never made by the LO and strong arms local
businesses and those business call and write the offices it...

This paper has a long history of supporting those trying to help this community. Even when
that form of help goes against many of the things, myself, the editor or the board agrees
with. However, "feed the children" or "feed Chris Bindel" the kids will win every time.

As we have always promised. Every article submitted will run in the paper and/or online.
Your announcement not only appeared in the calendar but in the center page spread of the
Street Walk. So how can you even say they do not appear?

Jim O'Bryan
Publisher
The Lakewood Observer
(damn I hate getting all official)

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

Werner Heisenberg

Christopher Bindel

Postby Christopher Bindel » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:28 am

The articles are not promised to the restaurant, they are just a part of what we do, which is why since you stopped running them we have put them on our FB instead. And it is more the fact that no one ever told us they weren’t going to run, rather just didn’t, and when we inquired about them you mad it sound like they would, but alas, no.

I have not called to schedule a meeting with you because my life has been pretty hectic as of late and have not had the time to sit down with you for an extremely long conversation where we talk circles at each other and accomplish nothing like the last 3 we have had. When I can I will. I have vacation coming up and might be able to fit a meeting in then.

I know you have article printed about non advertisers that make it in, it just seems that anytime I’m behind one it either doesn’t get printed or takes forever. I love Lakewood, and love our small businesses here. When I see one that not many people know about, could use some exposure, or think people who read the LO might be interested in I like trying to share that. However there are a businesses I have seen recently where I have just kinda let it go because it is not worth the effort of the people doing the research and writing the article if it wont make it in.

As far as using your logo, I only put it on posters telling people were they could find our articles when they were making it in and you never took issue. In fact each time it was there it was accompanied with a statement saying that. It was never on there as any sort of endorsement, only informational. As soon as you stopped printing them, I stopped putting it on my flyers and posters. In fact if I remember correctly, you not only didn’t have a problem with me putting it on the posters initially, but liked the extra exposure.

I’ve been letting go for now because I know I don’t have time to do something about it and was going to wait until we could meet, but seeing that statement there just kinda irked me a bit. I will message you in a week or two and let you know if or when I can meet.

Kristine Pagsuyoin

Postby Kristine Pagsuyoin » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:20 pm

Not meaning to change the subject...but I thought I'd ask when everyone wants to get together to plan our bookstore, gathering place, pet patio, art gallery, an international news stand with an education center.

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:10 pm

Kristine Pagsuyoin wrote:Not meaning to change the subject...but I thought I'd ask when everyone wants to get together to plan our bookstore, gathering place, pet patio, art gallery, an international news stand with an education center.

bless you

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

Werner Heisenberg

Betsy Voinovich

Postby Betsy Voinovich » Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:42 pm

Jim O'Bryan wrote:
Other interesting aspects of the VAL, is trying to do as much as possible with assets there,
trying to not use government or taxpayers resources, and really working towards no
negatives for the community. While it sounds idealistic, it is actually very, very easy to
do with the right people in place. It grinds to a halt, the second government, and control
get thrown into the mix.

I would say that the LO, and our board(s) Ken Warren included and members have
become a large chunk of The VAL 2025. Open to all, readily processing information, and
willing to work with all as long as they are willing to work as well. We have ZERO interest
in control of any project including the Lakewood Observer.

I hope that answers some of your questions. You have the added disadvantage of working
with me on many projects. So you can see and hear the VAL in many things we do. So
thank you for slowing me down to describe, what the VAL is.

Did I answer anything?

Kristine--

Thanks for bringing this discussion back around to the bookstore. Are you going to be in charge of getting everybody together? (Can you give us the name in code?)

Jim--

I have a better understanding of VAL after reading your description, and you're right, working on different Observer projects with you is clearly already working from the inside of it. Some parts of your description caused me to have more questions.

What is VAL 2025? Is 2025 a goal year for this vision's full embodiment in Lakewood?

Am I and my compadres on the Deck already a part of it because we are an active real-time real-named self-selected multi-membered think tank (thought puddle) in action as we toss ideas back and forth and attempt to sort them out and actually do something?

And specifically is there already info assembled by VAL regarding a bookstore? Are there ideas that have been kicked around and info that has already been gathered that could help us here, or again, is that what we're doing right now? Or both?

Thanks.

Betsy

sharon kinsella

Postby sharon kinsella » Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:22 pm

It would be wonderful to have a place like Loganberry Books on Larchmere. They have a bindery, music and readings on weekends and it is one of the most beautiful places I've ever been.

Books, beauty and community.

"When I dare to be powerful -- to use my strength in the service of my vision, then it becomes less and less important whether I am afraid." - Audre Lorde
Aaron Milenski

Postby Aaron Milenski » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:46 pm

It's one of the truly sad things about modern society that I have two minds on this:
1) There's nothing I would rather see in Lakewood than a bookstore, preferably one that has both new and used books.
2) I can't imagine a scenario in which it could possibly be profitable.
I often lament the way chains have taken over America, but there is nowhere where it's more of a tragedy than bookstores. It's sad that my kids have to grow up without the kinds of stores that were such a huge part of my youth. When I first moved to Lakewood there were two bookstores, the small one in the Marc's plaza that sold new books, and the used bookstore on Bonnieview. I made a point of shopping regularly at both (I don't care if the prices are higher--I would buy from an independent store anyway), but neither one was long for this world. I don't know how other people feel, but I think we've all been cheated by Half Price Books replacing real used bookstores.
Someone mentioned Loganberry, and that's a very special and unique place that I can't imagine working in two places in the same city. I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing they do a good part of their business on the internet.

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:21 pm

Aaron

Coventry has two bookstores within 100 yards of each other. Not only are they doing OK,
but they work together!

I am happy to say both are consulting on this Lakewood project.

Do not give up hope, though I think new books are out of the question in the form of a
bookstore. No one can touch Amazon, even the chains are failing.

Good things take time, but every week a modicum of progress is made.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

Werner Heisenberg

Return to “Lakewood Businesses”