Black Bird Bakery - AAAA+ for Customer Appreciation

Businesses and consumers are encouraged to post and update information about any local business.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Charlie Page

sharon kinsella

Black Bird Bakery - AAAA+ for Customer Appreciation

Postby sharon kinsella » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:39 pm

I tend to be quite vigilant about my meager balance in my checking account, the last overdraw was 8 years ago when I was letting my ex handle the money. That was the end of that.

Anyhow - I stopped into Blackbird Bakery yesterday on my way back from another doctor's appointment. I wanted two chocolate chip cookies (too die for people). I gave the clerk my debit card and it was refused. She tried again and it was refused again. I was horribly embarrassed. I saw her look to the baking room when I tried to give her back the bag, while I was apologizing profusely.

She handed it back to me and said "Don't worry, catch us next time". I was floored. The last time I heard something like that was from a friend.

I guess they are friends.

As I was leaving, two young women had also walked out, they were grinning "That's why you should always shop local merchants" the one said to me. I told her I do and the three of us had a wonderful discussion about the importance of buying local and food quality, local food etc.

Yesterday evening I had a big grin on my face, not just from eating a glorious salt bottomed chocolate chip cookie, but from the great encounter.

Yep, I do love me some Lakewood.

"When I dare to be powerful -- to use my strength in the service of my vision, then it becomes less and less important whether I am afraid." - Audre Lorde
Ed Dickson

Re: Black Bird Bakery - AAAA+ for Customer Appreciation

Postby Ed Dickson » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:42 pm

Great story and I'll second the support for this bakery. Customer service is a lost art. They say hello and look you in the eye when they do. You feel like they genuinly care.

Compare and contrast. Go here and then head on down the road to El Tango. Tell me if you see a difference!

Rhonda loje

Postby Rhonda loje » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:39 pm

I love the bread too!!

"Dont it always seem to go
That you dont know what youve got
Till its gone
They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot"
Joni Mitchell
Kristine Pagsuyoin

Postby Kristine Pagsuyoin » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:20 am

Compare and contrast. Go here and then head on down the road to El Tango. Tell me if you see a difference!

You didn't get good service at El Tango? That's too bad. I have been there a handful of times, but every time I have eaten there the guys behind the counter have been great! They bent over backwards to make us comfortable when they opened the patio. I have always eaten in with friends & had a good time.

Kristine

Ed Dickson

Postby Ed Dickson » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:02 am

Maybe it's changed. My wife and I vowed off it about two years ago. We really tried because we LOVED the food but became really tired of being treated like a nuisance when we went. Just comletely rude and flat out horrible customer service. Really, we gave it many, many chances at that time. Maybe it's time to give them another chance. It's good to hear and thanks for letting me know.

Ken Lipka

Postby Ken Lipka » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:59 pm

If your are looking for customer service stay away from El Tango. It hasn't changed and is pathetic. I am sure the owner would agree. If you need your fix order your food "to go" and enjoy it in the comfort of your own home or Lakewood Park.

Ed Dickson

Postby Ed Dickson » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:46 pm

See,we tried that order it to go thing thinking maybe that would fix it. We called in to place an order and were told we didn't need to call in. The next time we didn't call in and got yelled at (yes, yelled at) saying we needed to call in orders for pick up. It was crazy.

As far as the owner knowing, I'm assuming that is the guy with the cowboy hat and he was the worst offender every time. It's sad to me because the food is really good.

Jim DeVito

Postby Jim DeVito » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:29 pm

I agree with there customer service skills, I will disagree with the food. It was not that good. That said my family as recently started started eating a lot of bread. I mean almost 2 loves a day. Time to check out Blackbird!!

Return to “Lakewood Businesses”