Good place for bison steaks?

Cooking secrets, tips, recipes and discussions featuring The Lakewood Observer's head chef, Chef Geoff (Jeff Endress), conversations about food, and restaurants.

Moderator: Jim DeVito

Brad Hutchison

Good place for bison steaks?

Postby Brad Hutchison » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:07 am

I have a good-looking recipe for bison tenderloin. I know Heinen's at least sells ground bison, but I don't know about steaks.

What about TJ's Butcher Block? I've never been there, but I'd like to find somewhere in Lakewood.

Be the change you want to see in the world.

-Gandhi
Jeff Endress

Postby Jeff Endress » Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:27 pm

Not sure about TJ's.....but I'd certainly give a call. Doubtless they can get it for you.

Heinen's has Bison steak off and on. They had some nice looking strips on Saturday. But, I don't think I've ever seen tenderloin.

Or, try:

http://www.woodennickelbuffalo.com/

I've puchased from them before, both mail order and live. They do have tenderloin, but it is expensive....29.95/pound.

When cooking bison, the most important consideration is to not overcook it. It is very lean, and will dry out quickly.

Jeff

To wander this country and this world looking for the best barbecue â€â€
Valerie Molinski

Postby Valerie Molinski » Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:29 pm

I've had good luck with placing orders/special requests with K & K Meat Market.

3364 Warren Road Cleveland, OH 44111 Phone: 1-216-941-MEAT (6328)

ryan costa

stand

Postby ryan costa » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:04 pm

one or two of the stands at West Side Market sells buffalo meat.

A few years ago there was a farm in the county south of medina that sold buffalo meat. it was off state route 3 or 57. you pull in the driveway and and look at the bison in the pasture. then you walk into this outbuilding. There is a deep freezer full of bison meat, and someone comes up to the counter and sells it to you.

Brad Hutchison

Postby Brad Hutchison » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:18 am

Thanks all, these are great suggestions.

-Gandhi
Tim Liston

Postby Tim Liston » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:44 am

Yes, there is a stand at the West Side Market that sells bison, it's over by Kate's Fish. I've bought ground bison there before, my children like dad's "Buffalo Joes." I know they have other bison options too.

I believe Nature's Bin is starting to carry bison a little more often. You might call or visit.

Brad Hutchison

Postby Brad Hutchison » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:26 am

I did ultimately get bison from the West Side Market. The stand had sirloin, strip steak, and ribeye, as well as beef and bison bratwurst and hot dogs. The strip steaks were excellent.

I did also find out the Rego Market carries bison, at least the newer one in Westlake.

-Gandhi

Return to “Lakewood Food / Restaurants”