French Press Coffee

Cooking secrets, tips, recipes and discussions featuring The Lakewood Observer's head chef, Chef Geoff (Jeff Endress), conversations about food, and restaurants.

Moderator: Jim DeVito

David Lay

French Press Coffee

Postby David Lay » Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:58 am

Jennie bought me a french press for Christmas, and I've been dying to try it out, so I ventured out yesterday to pick up a burr grinder.

I quickly went home, unpacked the newly-acquired grinder, tossed in some Phoenix beans, boiled some water and brewed my first pot of french press coffee.

One word describes it: WOW! I've never tasted coffee so rich and flavorful. Regular drip coffee will never taste the same again.

There is definitely an artform to making french press coffee, and it does require a bit more work, but it is totally worth it, especially if you're a coffee lover, always searching for the 'perfect' cup of coffee.

My french press will definitely get plenty of use as I study for my Cisco certification exam!

New Website/Blog: dlayphoto.com
Jim DeVito

Postby Jim DeVito » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:31 am

David,

The French Press is the way to go for a super good cup of coffee. It took me a bit to get it just right it is sort of a guess and drink kind of thing. But man is it good. I get up 15 min. before I have to before work just to put on a pot of water. It also makes killer teas!!

David Lay

Postby David Lay » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:33 am

Jim DeVito wrote:It also makes killer teas!!

Really? Do you just put in loose leaf tea?

Jim DeVito

Postby Jim DeVito » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:36 am

David Lay wrote:Really? Do you just put in loose leaf tea?

You got it!! You can look online for plenty of options as to how much leaf to put in. As with the coffee you shant leave it steep to long as it will get bitter quick.

David Lay

Postby David Lay » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:55 am

I found this one:

http://www.ehow.com/how_2152412_tea-french-press.html

How much tea would you use for an 8-cup press?

Jim DeVito

Postby Jim DeVito » Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:07 am

Little bit less than half a cup. One more trick pre measure the water before you boil and add 1/4 cup more to allow for boil off.

dl meckes

Postby dl meckes » Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:11 am

David-

Try a "Cambodian coffee". Make some super, nuclear strength French Roast coffee and add a layer of (sweetened) condensed milk to your coffee cup.

It's incredible.

David Lay

Postby David Lay » Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:32 am

I'll give that a shot once I get some condensed milk. Thanks for the suggestions, DL & Jim!

Rhonda loje

Postby Rhonda loje » Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:48 pm

DL is right..that is the best cup of coffee I have ever had. We had it in a Vietnamese restaurant...it's the best..but I have never tried it at home. How did you do it DL?

Rhonda

David Lay

Postby David Lay » Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:53 pm

I think it would require some really strong coffee, probably from a french press...they really extract the oils and flavor from the beans.

Bryan Schwegler

Postby Bryan Schwegler » Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:58 pm

dl meckes wrote:David-

Try a "Cambodian coffee". Make some super, nuclear strength French Roast coffee and add a layer of (sweetened) condensed milk to your coffee cup.

It's incredible.

That sounds absolutely amazing!

dl meckes

Postby dl meckes » Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:01 pm

Find the darkest, strongest French Roast beans you can. Grind them for the french press. Put enough coffee into the french press for at least a few cups of coffee. Pour in the water for one cup of coffee.

Cambodian or Vietnamese coffee is usually served in a glass cup. The cup with the layer of sweetened condensed milk is warmed by putting it on top of the french press as the coffee brews.

The service in the glass cup is to showcase the white and black layers of the coffee and condensed milk, although it's ok to just pour the coffee into the cup, usually you pour the hot coffee in slowly.

When you make it iced, it's always mixed when it's served.

Hot or cold, it's amazing and addictive.

J Hrlec

Postby J Hrlec » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:44 am

I bought my french press here: http://www.bodumusa.com/shop/home.asp?CHK=1288

Is one of the best ways to make coffee for a bold taste.

Jeff Endress

Postby Jeff Endress » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:46 am

There's also a nice french press in stainless, double walled, to give insulation.

http://www.kitchenkapers.com/nci-1000.html

I've used this for years camping. Works well, not as pretty as some, but have the insulation is a real plus.

To add to the discussion, it is best to grind your own beans. Grind should be coarse enough that the mesh screen catches most of the grounds when to push the plunger

Jeff

To wander this country and this world looking for the best barbecue â€â€
Brad Hutchison

Postby Brad Hutchison » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:31 pm

How about burr grinders? Anyone know of a good one at a good price? I've wanted one for a while, but they're so expensive compared to blade grinders.

Be the change you want to see in the world.

-Gandhi

Return to “Lakewood Food / Restaurants”