Bland Grub at The Pub

Cooking secrets, tips, recipes and discussions featuring The Lakewood Observer's head chef, Chef Geoff (Jeff Endress), conversations about food, and restaurants.

Moderator: Jim DeVito

c. dawson

Bland Grub at The Pub

Postby c. dawson » Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:36 am

My wife and I tried The Pub in Rocky River's Beachcliff Market Square on New Year's Eve (early evening, prior to their advertised specials). And it's a nice environment, and does look very pub-like, but I'm afraid they've emphasized the pub look and environment so much, that the food doesn't quite measure up.

It's kind of Disneyized ... our waitress repeatedly let us know that we could buy any of the glasses that our drinks came in, or the Pub-brand Brown Sauce on the table, or even the t-shirts that the staff was wearing. And many of the staff seemed to be "acting" a bit like they were trying to be in an English pub.

But the food was frankly, bland. I had a burger, and it was decent, but nothing to write home about. My wife had the fish and chips, which was done fine, the fish was nice and moist, but pretty well tasteless.

The beer and drink menu is extensive, though a bit pricey to my tastes, and I'd certainly recommend the place as a good stop for drinks and appetizers, but the meals left quite a bit to be desired ... flavor being one of the things most desired.

Frankly, if you want to eat well in a publike atmosphere, I'd have to say go no further than Sullivans or the Rocky River Brewing Company. Both of them make sure the food matches the beer and the atmosphere. In the Pub, it's all about the look ... and not about the taste.

David Lay

Re: Bland Grub at The Pub

Postby David Lay » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:04 am

I have to disagree. When Jennie & I ate there a couple of weeks ago, we never had any of the 'upselling' from our waiter that you speak of, and the food was very good. Both of us were quite impressed at the portion sizes. I've eaten at many English/Scottish/Irish pubs, and I thought The Pub was just as good.

A coworker of mine (who is from England) said she thought it was pretty good as well.

New Website/Blog: dlayphoto.com

Return to “Lakewood Food / Restaurants”