Looking for suggestions...

This is where we place discussions and conversations about the Lakewood Observer Observation Deck.

Moderator: Jim DeVito

User avatar
Jim O'Bryan
Posts: 12022
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:12 pm
Location: Lakewood
Contact:

Looking for suggestions...

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:55 am

We are getting ready to clean up a couple loose ends, and have some real fun with the Deck in the weeks coming up to the election.

There is the David/Brian Conversations (Just got off the phone with David, it has a chance of happening)
Bad Government series
Rules for the Deck series
The Hospital posts that matter
Corey's Special Section
Brian's Special Section

Any ideas if or how to break these out, to make them accessible and easier to find?


.


Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
mjkuhns
Posts: 532
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:43 am
Contact:

Re: Looking for suggestions...

Postby mjkuhns » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:55 pm

Good questions. It probably depends on how traffic arrives on the Deck, and on how much tinkering is practical.

Most of the activity seems to be in "Lakewood General Discussions," so the simplest thing is probably pinning threads to the top of that.

The primary alternative is probably putting a new section under "General Discussions." I don't know how many people actually visit that page, though, or "Board Index." It may be that most people just directly bookmark "Lakewood General Discussions"--perhaps someone can check.

If a new section under "General Discussions" is considered, then highlighting it in some way, e.g. with a different color that stands out, will be the most efficient way to make them easier to find. But I don't know how much trouble that will be. (Choice of name may have an impact, also, but you've been hearing that from enough people.)


:: matt kuhns ::
User avatar
Jim O'Bryan
Posts: 12022
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:12 pm
Location: Lakewood
Contact:

Re: Looking for suggestions...

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:05 am

mjkuhns wrote:Good questions. It probably depends on how traffic arrives on the Deck, and on how much tinkering is practical.

Most of the activity seems to be in "Lakewood General Discussions," so the simplest thing is probably pinning threads to the top of that.

The primary alternative is probably putting a new section under "General Discussions." I don't know how many people actually visit that page, though, or "Board Index." It may be that most people just directly bookmark "Lakewood General Discussions"--perhaps someone can check.

If a new section under "General Discussions" is considered, then highlighting it in some way, e.g. with a different color that stands out, will be the most efficient way to make them easier to find. But I don't know how much trouble that will be. (Choice of name may have an impact, also, but you've been hearing that from enough people.)


mjkuhns

That would push newest topic pretty far down the list. The idea is to move the chaff out of the way of the substance.

I'll try it for the day.

On another note, who ever left Corey's Corral on my briefcase could be winner.

.


Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
User avatar
Jim O'Bryan
Posts: 12022
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:12 pm
Location: Lakewood
Contact:

Re: Looking for suggestions...

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:18 am

Let's see how this works out through October.

Jim


Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
mjkuhns
Posts: 532
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:43 am
Contact:

Re: Looking for suggestions...

Postby mjkuhns » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:25 am

That was my concern, too. When I'm looking at the General Discussions page, I can see about 6-7 items without scrolling down. Having 5-6 topics pinned at the top therefore has a clear downside.

This one's a tough question.


:: matt kuhns ::
Dan Alaimo
Posts: 1260
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:49 am

Re: Looking for suggestions...

Postby Dan Alaimo » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:54 am

When I pop onto the page, I want to see the latest, and if it isn't there, I move along. This makes it harder.
My suggestion:: Wait till the spike in posts from the election is over and then consider changes. I bet not many will be needed.


"When tyrants tremble, sick with fear,
And hear their death-knell ringing,
When friends rejoice both far and near,
How can I keep from singing?"
--from the Pete Seeger version of "How can I keep from singing?"
User avatar
Jim O'Bryan
Posts: 12022
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:12 pm
Location: Lakewood
Contact:

Re: Looking for suggestions...

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:23 pm

[quote="Dan Alaimo"
My suggestion:: Wait till the spike in posts from the election is over and then consider changes. I bet not many will be needed.[/quote]


Dan

Funny how this works out, huh?

We try change after change, and come back to the same old stuff again.

.


Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Dan Alaimo
Posts: 1260
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:49 am

Re: Looking for suggestions...

Postby Dan Alaimo » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:03 pm

Jim O'Bryan wrote:[quote="Dan Alaimo"
My suggestion:: Wait till the spike in posts from the election is over and then consider changes. I bet not many will be needed.



Dan

Funny how this works out, huh?

We try change after change, and come back to the same old stuff again.

.[/quote]

You got it mostly right in the beginning.


"When tyrants tremble, sick with fear,
And hear their death-knell ringing,
When friends rejoice both far and near,
How can I keep from singing?"
--from the Pete Seeger version of "How can I keep from singing?"
Corey Rossen
Posts: 1663
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:09 pm

Re: Looking for suggestions...

Postby Corey Rossen » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:17 pm

I like how this new pinned way shows the one-sided mentality of the project and those who control the pins. You are either with us or you are the enemy. This bodes well for public media outlets, maybe it will catch on. Revolutionary!


Corey Rossen

"I have neither aligned myself with SLH, nor BL." ~ Jim O'Bryan

"I am not neutral." ~Jim O'Bryan

"I am not here to stir up anything." ~Jim O'Bryan
User avatar
Jim O'Bryan
Posts: 12022
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:12 pm
Location: Lakewood
Contact:

Re: Looking for suggestions...

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:32 pm

Corey Rossen wrote:I like how this new pinned way shows the one-sided mentality of the project and those who control the pins. You are either with us or you are the enemy. This bodes well for public media outlets, maybe it will catch on. Revolutionary!


I chose the pieces with Anderson and Essi, that is not fair? And late news stuff for a day.

No matter what we try, even when suggested by others you complain.

Seriously you complain when we do not censor, you complain when you think we censored.

No pleasing, you.

.


Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Corey Rossen
Posts: 1663
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:09 pm

Re: Looking for suggestions...

Postby Corey Rossen » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:05 pm

Jim O'Bryan wrote:
Corey Rossen wrote:I like how this new pinned way shows the one-sided mentality of the project and those who control the pins. You are either with us or you are the enemy. This bodes well for public media outlets, maybe it will catch on. Revolutionary!


I chose the pieces with Anderson and Essi, that is not fair? And late news stuff for a day.

No matter what we try, even when suggested by others you complain.

Seriously you complain when we do not censor, you complain when you think we censored.

No pleasing, you.

.


Nice try, but you only censor those you wish to censor and gift all those in your pocket. It is clear each and every day with every post.

It is your wand to wave, just funny how you choose to use it.

No matter, it is amusing to watch.


Corey Rossen

"I have neither aligned myself with SLH, nor BL." ~ Jim O'Bryan

"I am not neutral." ~Jim O'Bryan

"I am not here to stir up anything." ~Jim O'Bryan
User avatar
Jim O'Bryan
Posts: 12022
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:12 pm
Location: Lakewood
Contact:

Re: Looking for suggestions...

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:42 pm

Corey Rossen wrote:
Nice try, but you only censor those you wish to censor and gift all those in your pocket. It is clear each and every day with every post.

It is your wand to wave, just funny how you choose to use it.

No matter, it is amusing to watch.



Corey

No, Observe, get it? Get it? Did you finally get it?

.


Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Lori Allen _
Posts: 2550
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:37 pm

Re: Looking for suggestions...

Postby Lori Allen _ » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:49 pm

How about a "mayor asleep at the wheel" series? :D

In all seriousness, regardless of how the election turns out, recalls have been rumored to be in the works. A series like this would allow myself and others to post photos of how Summers & Council appear to be asleep at the wheel in regards to watching over the city.


cameron karslake
Posts: 605
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:35 am

Re: Looking for suggestions...

Postby cameron karslake » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:40 pm

Jim O'Bryan wrote:
Corey Rossen wrote:
Nice try, but you only censor those you wish to censor and gift all those in your pocket. It is clear each and every day with every post.

It is your wand to wave, just funny how you choose to use it.

No matter, it is amusing to watch.



Corey

No, Observe, get it? Get it? Did you finally get it?

.


I think not...he does not want to get anything. That is not his purpose.

So...stop feeding the troll!


Corey Rossen
Posts: 1663
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:09 pm

Re: Looking for suggestions...

Postby Corey Rossen » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:49 pm

Trolls.jpg
Trolls.jpg (125.7 KiB) Viewed 2740 times


Corey Rossen

"I have neither aligned myself with SLH, nor BL." ~ Jim O'Bryan

"I am not neutral." ~Jim O'Bryan

"I am not here to stir up anything." ~Jim O'Bryan

Return to “Discussions About The Deck”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests