How many people actually look at the DECK?

This is where we place discussions and conversations about the Lakewood Observer Observation Deck.

Moderator: Jim DeVito

Gary Rice

Re: How many people actually look at the DECK?

Postby Gary Rice » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:43 am

Before I get out my detention pad and start assigning some of you to clean the erasers after school, there's a question that perhaps some of our attorney friends could answer...

I learned back in a pre-law class (never did become an attorney though) that the reasonable expectation of privacy normally enjoyed by private citizens tends to diminish if they become "public persons".

For example, being a school teacher, I had to be more careful than the average person on the street regarding the expression of my personal opinions in a classroom.

In retrospect, that was probably not a bad idea. :lol:

I wonder at what point, in this internet age, a citizen surrenders a right to at least some privacy, if they decide to become a "public person" in a chat room? That's a question that we should all think about. :shock:

Now regarding the use of initials in names here....While I fully agree that in a perfect world, ALL people on the 'Deck should be required to use their full names, this world is sadly not perfect. Let's say a person would have a good reason for not doing so, like perhaps not wanting to disclose their gender, for reasons ranging from a desire to be treated fairly by all, or perhaps in order to avoid former partners or harassers from finding them on the 'net. These people should be able to post here without fear, as much as any other people who do not happen to share the same issue. :D

I trust the Observer to have vetted those "initial people" before allowing them to post. They have their reasons, and I would simply leave it at that.

Then too, initials usages are not for everyone....

Look, as a banjo player, I'm not sure that my initials would reflect my personality anyway... :roll:

GRR :mrgreen:

Back to the banjo... :D

Bridget Conant

Postby Bridget Conant » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:58 am

And when the lawsuit falters, they send in Corey to malign the Deck, with even more nonsensical and fantastical, delusionary crap to misdirect from real and important issues.

Dan Alaimo

Postby Dan Alaimo » Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:21 am

Dan Alaimo wrote:I don't think there's a rule that covers this discussion, but it doesn't feel right to me. "Creepy" was a word used here. I agree.

In case anyone was confused by this comment, it pertained to the sharing of personal information here about others.

“Never let a good crisis go to waste." - Winston Churchill (Quote later appropriated by Rahm Emanuel)
todd vainisi

Postby todd vainisi » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:16 am

I trust the Observer to have vetted those "initial people" before allowing them to post. They have their reasons, and I would simply leave it at that.

Gary, we all have good reason not to want our identity revealed, but we were required to reveal it to be on this board (and our statements with our names are revealed even to people who are not signed up but just looking).

I would suggest the Deck go through and truncate the first name of everyone on the board. As AT&T found out, any argument used to get out of revealing an identity by one person can be used by everybody else. Might as well just make the switch for all users. Why do we need to know everyone's first names anyway?

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:21 am

todd vainisi wrote:I would suggest the Deck go through and truncate the first name of everyone on the board. As AT&T found out, any argument used to get out of revealing an identity by one person can be used by everybody else. Might as well just make the switch for all users. Why do we need to know everyone's first names anyway?

Todd

After the election, seems not right to change before, we are looking at various forms to take. Even starting a second site.

One is "nicknames" once you are verified. That way we can make sure, of one seat at the table. If you re a member you have access to their real name, outside looking in, a nickname.

People have asked for changes, and gotten them. You can ask for TVainisi, and after showing ID get the change.

It has been this way, since Day 3, when we realized the moderator was using her initials.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
todd vainisi

Postby todd vainisi » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:08 am

Todd

After the election, seems not right to change before, we are looking at various forms to take. Even starting a second site.

One is "nicknames" once you are verified. That way we can make sure, of one seat at the table. If you re a member you have access to their real name, outside looking in, a nickname.

People have asked for changes, and gotten them. You can ask for TVainisi, and after showing ID get the change.

It has been this way, since Day 3, when we realized the moderator was using her initials.

Jim, this is a great response. I will stop into the offices so you can verify my existence and true identity and then I can switch to initials as well.

I don't know why cmager or m buckley didn't just respond that we all have this option instead of mocking me for asking how/why they got around the rules and branding me part of Build Lakewood (which I heard doesn't even exist).

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:50 pm

todd vainisi wrote:I don't know why cmager or m buckley didn't just respond that we all have this option instead of mocking me for asking how/why they got around the rules and branding me part of Build Lakewood (which I heard doesn't even exist).

Todd

Many, people have signed up like that. All were vetted by whoever was vetting at the time.

Todd, no one gets around the rules, by favoritism. Mistakes happen, but we try to track them down and correct them.

At the end of the day, it centers on community norms, and what the complainant is.

Pam Smith assured me Build Lakewood still exists, as of a month ago.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

Werner Heisenberg

Patrick Wadden

Postby Patrick Wadden » Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:51 pm

Dan Alaimo wrote:
Dan Alaimo wrote:I don't think there's a rule that covers this discussion, but it doesn't feel right to me. "Creepy" was a word used here. I agree.

In case anyone was confused by this comment, it pertained to the sharing of personal information here about others.

Dan, you have problem with people sharing others personal information? Really?? Because I don't recall you mentioning this when Lori Allan posts the county property profiles of homeowners. Which include the persons legal full name and their actual address! (Unless of course if it is not owner occupied).

Patrick Wadden

Dan Alaimo

Postby Dan Alaimo » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:41 pm

Patrick Wadden wrote:
Dan Alaimo wrote:

Dan, you have problem with people sharing others personal information? Really?? Because I don't recall you mentioning this when Lori Allan posts the county property profiles of homeowners. Which include the persons legal full name and their actual address! (Unless of course if it is not owner occupied).

Patrick Wadden

Patrick,
Considering you were one of the "victims" here...
But it's a good point worth considering whenever it is we gather to discuss such things.
Mainly I was concerned with members of the Deck going after each other using personal information. Not quite attacks, but "creepy" pretty well captures it.

Actually I'd like to know more about the people who were evicted/foreclosed on, but I don't think it needs to be on the Deck. I didn't think about it at the time - it's public information, but I don't know how appropriate it is to put it up here. IF there is a case to be made against the land bankers, their testimony would be essential, but their identities should remain anonymous until there is a compelling reason to reveal them.
Dan

“Never let a good crisis go to waste." - Winston Churchill (Quote later appropriated by Rahm Emanuel)
Patrick Wadden

Postby Patrick Wadden » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:39 pm

Dan Alaimo wrote:
Patrick Wadden wrote:
Dan Alaimo wrote:

Patrick Wadden

Patrick,
Considering you were one of the "victims" here...
But it's a good point worth considering whenever it is we gather to discuss such things.
Mainly I was concerned with members of the Deck going after each other using personal information. Not quite attacks, but "creepy" pretty well captures it.

Actually I'd like to know more about the people who were evicted/foreclosed on, but I don't think it needs to be on the Deck. I didn't think about it at the time - it's public information, but I don't know how appropriate it is to put it up here. IF there is a case to be made against the land bankers, their testimony would be essential, but their identities should remain anonymous until there is a compelling reason to reveal them.
Dan

She can dig all she wants, that's her thing. Go nuts Lori. GO get em.

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:00 pm

Dan/Patrick

Public records are public records. Other sites in town have dumped mine often, not much there. School records gone through picture of the folder posted on the net.

It makes me sick, but they are public records.

One site is well known for posting police reports including not just convicted criminals but victims SS# and addressees. Patrick, it's a Lakewood site have you every complained to them? Just curious.

When you step in, as Dan is speaking of, who is going to do it? for what reason? etc. We are looking to give as much latitude to discussions as possible. Rules that can be enforced are worthless. This is Corey's complaint, and it is not an unfair comment. I would say the most important thing is to TRY to be fair. I have been working with Vince Frantz longtime friend and one of the admin and creators at Lakewood Neighborhoods always friendly site. He is on our board, has been for years. "Just delete it" "Delete the post, or edit it." Wat would you say Patrick, if I edited your posts? Would you think it is favoritism, that I am picking on you? Heck I move Corey's attacks on us to a section where we might actually be able to fix some things, nothing deleted, everything preserved and I am evil? What if I edited and deleted at will?

Which is why Corey's comments don't matter, he complains no matter what.

If someone has a way to do it better, and can do it, let's hear it.

Dan was one of our biggest critics years ago now an Admin. Jim DeVito was a critic of this project, and was given an admin role.

Threats, especially those of getting equal outside of words, threats of actions, and harassment that can be proven will not be tolerated and will result in a ban.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

Werner Heisenberg

Corey Rossen

Postby Corey Rossen » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:05 pm

Actually, I complain about the same thing repeatedly because it doesn't change.

Imagine my shock when you write on here that you agree with my complaints....and have yet to do anything about fixing the problem.

At least you agree with me that there is a problem. Baby steps.

Sounds like I will be an Admin in the very near future. Finally, changes for the betterment of readership.

Corey Rossen

"I have neither aligned myself with SLH, nor BL." ~ Jim O'Bryan

"I am not neutral." ~Jim O'Bryan

"I am not here to stir up anything." ~Jim O'Bryan
Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:39 am

Corey Rossen wrote:Actually, I complain about the same thing repeatedly because it doesn't change.

Imagine my shock when you write on here that you agree with my complaints....and have yet to do anything about fixing the problem.

Sounds like I will be an Admin in the very near future. Finally, changes for the betterment of readership.

Corey

You are missing the issue. You are fixated on proving me wrong or this wrong,

Let's talk about names, The very first name on the Deck was D. L. Meckes, who moderated for 5 years or more. So to say you were unaware of intiials, is BS. She approved you.

Which gets us to the fabulous Double Dutch problem. In the middle of a heated election, when do you jump in?

You have already proven many times, no matter what we try, you hate it. So gave up years ago. This forum is exactly what you asked for and were excited about along with Corey's Corral, warned you, did it, and you complained.

What's the point?

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

Werner Heisenberg

Corey Rossen

Postby Corey Rossen » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:05 pm

Jim O'Bryan wrote:
Corey Rossen wrote:Actually, I complain about the same thing repeatedly because it doesn't change.

Corey

You are missing the issue. You are fixated on proving me wrong or this wrong,

Let's talk about names, The very first name on the Deck was D. L. Meckes, who moderated for 5 years or more. So to say you were unaware of intiials, is BS. She approved you.

Which gets us to the fabulous Double Dutch problem. In the middle of a heated election, when do you jump in?

You have already proven many times, no matter what we try, you hate it. So gave up years ago. This forum is exactly what you asked for and were excited about along with Corey's Corral, warned you, did it, and you complained.

What's the point?

Self fulfilling lies.

I never asked for anything, but you insist I have. Tell me what I have asked for. Show me.

I take that back - I have, in fact, asked that you follow the rules you have written on the Deck. Maybe you should learn them, or at least review them.

Just saw the last person to sign up used initials...have you changed the Policies section yet to reflect your new rules? Or are you still breaking the previous rules?

When did I jump in? I have been here for years, many years. When did your cronies jump in, that is the real question. At least you did your recruiting well and had them all come in around election time.

Control the message by controlling the board. Too obvious.

Corey Rossen

"I have neither aligned myself with SLH, nor BL." ~ Jim O'Bryan

"I am not neutral." ~Jim O'Bryan

"I am not here to stir up anything." ~Jim O'Bryan

Return to “Discussions About The Deck”