What I want from the Meeting - TWO THINGS

A store house of articles, facts and discussions related to the loss of Lakewood Hospital, LHA, LHF.

Moderator: Jim DeVito

Betsy Voinovich

What I want from the Meeting - TWO THINGS

Postby Betsy Voinovich » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:13 pm

Wow this is a lot of informative conversation. I think I have read all of it. It is a little overwhelming.

To sum up.

NUMBER ONE: We find having our own hospital valuable and would like to keep it, or update it, if possible. We would like this explored seriously.

NUMBER TWO: If we can't have the hospital, and it comes down to the Cleveland Clinic payout of 83 million dollars, we don't want the money going to a private foundation that has no accountability to the citizens of Lakewood.

Right now the contract (see http://www.lakewoodobserver.com/forum/v ... =7&t=13103 for actual wording) says that payments of $82 MILLION DOLLARS overall will be made to a "new, repurposed non-profit." This organization can't be private. If we do need a "fiscal agent" or a Foundation to see to the future of healthcare in Lakewood it would have to be constructed to be completely accountable to the citizens of Lakewood, with every expenditure, including salaries, vetted by the citizens, probably through our representatives on City Council.

Bill Call

Re: What I want from the Meeting - TWO THINGS

Postby Bill Call » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:34 pm

Nice summation.

You are not going to get either.

1. The Clinic needs Lakewood's business in Avon. They are not going to allow a major medical presence in Lakewood.

2. If the Clinic was interested in a real medical facility in Lakewood they would take that $125 million and invest it in modernization of the Hospital.

3. All you are going to get is a glorified minute clinic. For some reason a lot of people think that's a wonderful idea.

4. If the Hospital Board and Foundation were interested in saving Lakewood Hospital they wouldn't be falling all over themselves to dismantle it.

5. If it really is all about some people on the board getting their hands on $84 million they are not going to give up when they are only a few weeks from attaining their goal.

Yes, it would be great if all of that money and all of those assets were owned by the City but it's not going to happen. You want the City to have control because the use of those funds would be open to public debate. That is why it will never happen

It's all very odd. Brunswick, population 32,000, needs 2 emergency rooms, 300,000 square feet of modern medical facilities and a whole range of doctors and services but Lakewood, population 52,000, can get along just fine with a minute clinic.

Imagine for a moment the Cleveland Clinic and the University Hospital System announced they were closing their facilities in Brunswick. Do you suppose there would be any elected official or community leader in Brunswick who would come out and say:

"No big deal, Southwest General is only a few miles down the road!"

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:52 pm

Bill Call wrote:Nice summation.

You are not going to get either.

Yes, it would be great if all of that money and all of those assets were owned by the City but it's not going to happen. You want the City to have control because the use of those funds would be open to public debate. That is why it will never happen

Betsy, to answer your question and if Hennis Paynter are any good, they will demand that
the city tells the truth and come up with their vision of healthcare in Lakewood. I would
find it hard to argue, their honest assessment of what that would be, and that is the title
of the meeting, not "Come and Bitch..."

Bill is right about the quote I have pulled and it underlines exactly how we got here. I call
it "Ryan Demro Syndrome" it manifests itself as, "Well, I know more than everyone else in
the city, and oh my god! What if Ryan Demro got elected!!!!"

This crew obviously felt their had the cure to everything in Lakewood. I only say that as
they have run "deals" on every aspect of life in Lakewood.

So let's hear how they put this.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Bill Trentel

Postby Bill Trentel » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:46 am

"That is a conversation we (the community) will need to have."

Utter several times by the Mayor.

He's all about the community once we get this deal signed and delivered to the Clinic.

Bill

Bill Trentel

Postby Bill Trentel » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:09 am

Will we have another vacant grocery store?

One item I don't think anyone has brought up is that once this deal is signed and done. There is no guarantee or even a way of guaranteeing that the Clinic will establish or maintain any of the services or level or services being promised. But the Clinic gets a sweet no compete clause that prevents us (the city) from allowing the remaining space to be used by another provider. With the Clinic's past commitment to providing health care in Lakewood would we be surprised if this isn't how it will play out? They will need to keep Avon and Fairview busy.

It will be a private corporation on private land. Zero community over site or input.

But of course the Clinic would never miss lead us (lie). Right Mr. O'Bryan?

Bill

Return to “Hospital Archives 2014-2015”