Lack of Copy Reading

For notices from Observer staff & volunteers. Discussions, questions, and suggestions from readers about The Lakewood Observer, proud member of the Observer Media Family.

Moderator: Jim DeVito

sharon kinsella

Lack of Copy Reading

Postby sharon kinsella » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:10 pm

For Instance - Front page article when you come on the website - the one about council. There are multiple misspellings and grammatical errors. Does anyone read copy. Sloppy editing takes away from credibility.

"When I dare to be powerful -- to use my strength in the service of my vision, then it becomes less and less important whether I am afraid." - Audre Lorde
Jim O'Bryan

Re: Lack of Copy Reading

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:21 pm

sharon kinsella wrote:For Instance - Front page article when you come on the website - the one about council. There are multiple misspellings and grammatical errors. Does anyone read copy. Sloppy editing takes away from credibility.

Sharon

As always thank you for the kind words and help in making this project better.

The article I believe you are looking at did not come through the editorial staff, but
directly from "news releases." This service allows for the news to get out faster than any
other service out there, but does have some issues I suppose.

As you know a majority of the staff is volunteer, we can always use more volunteers to
help with proofing, editing, and fact checking. It is as easy as by send an email to us, or
through the suggestion box.

We will discuss it at our weekly meetings, and encourage you to bring it up at one of our
many public conferences this year around the city.

If anyone thinks I run this, I would like to point out I have zero idea what this section is
how it got started and what it is for. But if some asks a question, or has a suggestion I
will try to answer or see if we can do it.

Sharon, as always thanks for the support.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
sharon kinsella

Postby sharon kinsella » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:29 am

Jimmy I would be happy to help but I am without a vehicle now and pretty much without any motivation, too many health problems.

"When I dare to be powerful -- to use my strength in the service of my vision, then it becomes less and less important whether I am afraid." - Audre Lorde
Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:38 am

sharon kinsella wrote:Jimmy I would be happy to help but I am without a vehicle now and pretty much without any motivation, too many health problems.

Sharon

No problem, you do not need to drive anywhere, we can get it to you.

Why sit on the sidelines and complain, when you can fix the problem.

Thanks for the note.

peace

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
sharon kinsella

Postby sharon kinsella » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:20 pm

Send it or bring it. It will be on an as can basis. You know I'm not a sidelines person but my can do is sometimes can dumped.

Heather Ramsey

Postby Heather Ramsey » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:28 pm

I've been trying to get us to have an official copy editor for...3 years or something now? I also have been wanting to make a style guide so those who are editing can have a quick reference for what they should most be looking for.

Back when Dan was editor he was supposed to call me to come copy edit on Sunday evenings, but it never ended up coming together.

Return to “Lakewood Observer Newspaper & Website”