BOARD BEGINS PROCESS TO OK LHS INDOOR TRACK

For anything related to schools and education in Lakewood. Includes discussions, announcements, and schedules.

Moderator: Jim DeVito

Edward Favre

BOARD BEGINS PROCESS TO OK LHS INDOOR TRACK

Postby Edward Favre » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:14 am

District administrators and Board of Education members conducted a planning session while in Columbus on Nov. 14 for the annual Ohio School Boards Association conference. As part of the successful session, the Board introduced a resolution to approve a change order for construction at Lakewood High to include an indoor elevated track. The track, which will cost approximately $1 million, will be paid for mostly with a generous donation made by First Federal Lakewood, will be built atop the current gym under construction in the new athletic wing of the high school at the corner of Bunts and Franklin. The track should be open to the community in October 2017. The Board is scheduled to vote on approval of the resolution at its Nov. 21 meeting. Also while in Columbus for the conference, Superintendent Jeff Patterson joined about 300 other superintendents from across the state at a rally outside the Statehouse (photo below). The rally was intended to get the attention of state legislatures and send them the message that district leaders want to be included in the decision-making when it comes to critical issues that affect students such as testing and graduation requirements. The State Board of Education is currently considering changes to the requirements for Ohio graduation thanks to proactive communication by superintendents regarding challenges for many students in meeting the new requirements. - See more at: http://www.lakewoodcityschools.org/News ... RXopE.dpuf

mjkuhns

Re: BOARD BEGINS PROCESS TO OK LHS INDOOR TRACK

Postby mjkuhns » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:57 am

Edward Favre wrote:Superintendent Jeff Patterson joined about 300 other superintendents from across the state at a rally outside the Statehouse (photo below). The rally was intended to get the attention of state legislatures and send them the message that district leaders want to be included in the decision-making…
I'm not the foremost admirer of Superintendent Patterson, but I sincerely wish him and his colleagues the best here.

It does feel like there's an irony, in light of similar efforts here in Lakewood, but I'm going to resist the temptation to snark. Regardless of the odds, I hope that he meets with success in achieving further, genuine participation which he and his colleagues judge to be lacking at present.

If, meanwhile, any office-holders in Lakewood read about this, and decide that being the change they want to see in the world is admirable, that would be a bonus.

:: matt kuhns ::

Return to “Schools & Education in Lakewood”