Roundabouts And The Rocky River Freeway

Forum strictly about development, urban planning, community programs ideas, and discussions about cities around the world and what they are doing right.

Moderator: Jim DeVito

Bill Call

Roundabouts And The Rocky River Freeway

Postby Bill Call » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:22 pm

Why not roundabouts on Clifton instead of traffic lights?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roundabout

Cross walks for pedestrians could be added a five hundred foot intervals.

Jim DeVito

Re: Roundabouts And The Rocky River Freeway

Postby Jim DeVito » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:57 pm

Bill, in america we are about convenience. Nobody wants to enter that many roundabouts. One at "hip" intersections here and there is fine. But we can not replace all the traffic lights. Besides if you just go the speed limit and hit it at the right time you can pass all the way through Lakewood on green. Perhaps that is the part we need to change. ;-)

Stan Austin
Contributor

Re: Roundabouts And The Rocky River Freeway

Postby Stan Austin » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:01 pm

You friggin youngsters------------Clifton was straight through from the end of the Shoreway to Avon @ 30 mph in the 1960s. That was with mechanical systems.
I proposed, and it was implemented computerized traffic control in my 1973 campaign for council. That system is now worn out.
I see a new council candidate recognizes traffic control as an issue. I refer her to my campaign in 1975.
How so apropos as we watch remembrances of the Moon landing and wonder if we can get our act together to do what the old guys did 40 years ago.
Anybody presenting themselves as candidates for public office in Lakewood--------get your A** up to speed real quick if you want to be taken seriously.
Stan Austin

Return to “Urban Dynamics”