Attracting creative engaged citizens

Forum strictly about development, urban planning, community programs ideas, and discussions about cities around the world and what they are doing right.

Moderator: Jim DeVito

Jim O'Bryan

Attracting creative engaged citizens

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:29 am

Back when we first started the Lakewood Observer Project, some of us had hopes of attracting people that could define and/or redefine Lakewood as a placed that accepted, and even rejoiced in intelligence. This came from many different levels, but we ended up speaking in terms of civic and artistic intelligence.

As we took a step back and looked at every different community, and what they offered it became clearer and clearer that not only was this pretty easy with what we had to work with, but would also set Lakewood aside from everyone else in the county. We then imagined what people that are engaged, and creative would need would be clean, safe, fun, good schools, engaged citizens, and location, location, location.

Many other ideas flowed into this conversation, that has gone on to be decribed in many, many different terms.

Another thing that was also identified was a respect for intellectual property. I mean how can you attract the best, the brightest if all you do is co-op their ideas, deny credit, or even outright steal them. For trust to be built in a community, the community must earn trust through its actions.

In my many years in the arts, I have seen far too many artists kicked around, and cheated. i have seen far too many creative people shut down, and disenfranchised by many who have never had an original idea, so they steal other people's ideas claiming them as their own.

The problem with this is many. You just do not disenfranchise creative people with good ideas, you also create a storm of ill feelings in that community. This ends up feeding on itself and becomes a nightmare if you ever hope to attract big idea people. It was also an idea that kept so many down and in the dark for decades. Another problem is that people co-op ideas strictly to save money, or get credit and rarely do they have the passion or ability to do carry it out.

I would hope this never happens in Lakewood, as some real inroads have been made in empowering many, finding many creative types, and building solid bridges into the "creative" communities in other cities. We have seen an influx of people that want to live in Lakewood for the engagement, and respect creative people get.

FWIW

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Dustin James

Re: Attracting creative engaged citizens

Postby Dustin James » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:30 pm

I would hope this never happens in Lakewood, as some real inroads have been made in empowering many, finding many creative types, and building solid bridges into the "creative" communities in other cities. We have seen an influx of people that want to live in Lakewood for the engagement, and respect creative people get.

FWIW

Jim, I'm just an occasional observer here, so please forgive. I visit vicariously to these posts. However, I have no idea what this particular post means.

Maybe it's just a generic rant. I grew up as an exploited creative type and I suspect it will continue for another 4 or 5 thousand years. Artists have to grow thick skin like everybody else. I agree that I hope it doesn't happen, but it's such a wide open request and too whom? I'm sorry, but is there a more specific request to this that I'm missing reading between the lines? Just trying to understand. :?

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:20 am

Dustin James wrote:Jim, I'm just an occasional observer here, so please forgive. I visit vicariously to these posts. However, I have no idea what this particular post means.

Maybe it's just a generic rant. I grew up as an exploited creative type and I suspect it will continue for another 4 or 5 thousand years. Artists have to grow thick skin like everybody else. I agree that I hope it doesn't happen, but it's such a wide open request and too whom? I'm sorry, but is there a more specific request to this that I'm missing reading between the lines? Just trying to understand. :?

Dustin

Let's call it a generic post, today. Tomorrow it might be a prophecy.

I like you have watched extremely creative people get ripped off by some of the least creative people in the world. I remember a very talented artist getting ripped off by a very slick hair salon, not in Lakewood. And the devastating fallout that followed for that young artist.

It does seem that possibly ass early as the first cave drawings, a less talented scheming cave person, asked if they decorate their cave, for a dino burger on tuesday. The art goes up and the dino burger never came.

Of course in the world today it is much more difficult. One could forge something like "Walk and Roll" only to find out, their "partners" in brand and event building turns their back for a lame version "Roll and Walk." This is merely an easy random example, not based on facts. Never mind the discussions, the coopting of success, one claiming the "huge success" only to sell out their partners for a few scheckles.

Recently we have seen a few, co-opt and rip off good ideas only to manage them into mediocrity. I fear that as some of these groups with national and international get burned, the "brand" of Lakewood gets tarnished, for attracting the civic and artistic intelligent residents and businesses.

Dustin, you know exactly what I am speaking of. Creative an environment that rewards, and protects intelligence, and it will come and flourish. Create the opposite, and you will stifle it for decades, if not forever.

Just thinking out loud about how to keep the civic minded people coming to Lakewood.

FWIW

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Dustin James

Postby Dustin James » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:44 am

Let's call it a generic post, today. Tomorrow it might be a prophecy.

Okay, that clears the path a little. Thanks.

If I may, it seems like a few issues are at work here. I think where you are going, spans two areas of the creative arena.

1) For-profit assignments, where a budget, statement of work and contract for hire get two parties working for a mutual design solution. Each party knows their responsibility and intellectual property gets transferred legally for hire to the employing party. The designer or studio can specify usage rights, as is often done with photography, which states that the assignment and subsequent creative material is for a specific usage, but can’t be resold or extended without further compensation or “by out.â€

Return to “Urban Dynamics”