Lakewood's 5th Ward

Forum strictly about development, urban planning, community programs ideas, and discussions about cities around the world and what they are doing right.

Moderator: Jim DeVito

Jim O'Bryan

Lakewood's 5th Ward

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:58 am

Over the past 4 years I have mentioned and even joked with other about liberating Ward 18 and a little more from the city of Cleveland and making

Jay Westbrook, Councilman for Lakewood's Ward 5.

The plan as it is drawn out in backrooms and on movie scrips, is we grab W45th to the lake and south to 5 lots south Madison Avenue.

As Cleveland is trying to manage decline, and as Lakewood is in desperate need of more space, and for some reason unwilling to take a good look at the Peninsula, let's grab Ward 18.

Here is what was written in the Atlantic back in 1995.
http://www.theatlantic.com/issues/95oct/rybczyns.htm

Found while cleaning computer.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
chris richards

Postby chris richards » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:00 pm

Why does Lakewood need more space? What would we do with it? As I see it, we already have many vacant store fronts, plenty of houses for sale and in foreclosure.

I'd like to know what hypothetical good adding that land to Lakewood would do.

As for the Peninsula, while it's nice to look at on paper, I think the costs would be too great to actually produce it. Not only that, but the environmental disturbance it would cause in our area of Lake Erie. Here's a nice article http://audubonmagazine.org/incite/incite0711.html

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:01 pm

Chris

One reason is we need to build a new jail, that some are saying could take up a block or more.

Also the "need" for big box stores, access to the lake, water rights etc.

As for the peninsula, it would cost far less to build than it is worth. Cost estimates from the Army Corp of Engineers was under $50 million, and Bob Stark said the property would easily be worth $250-$300 million. He did suggest more acres, would be better.

Also some funding was available at the time for building and the study.

I will read the Link in a bit, it would be interesting to see what they say.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

Werner Heisenberg

chris richards

Postby chris richards » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:20 pm

Huh, I thought there would be more discussion about this topic. It's really intriguing, even though I don't think the city of Cleveland would go for it since they continue to push toward regionalism.

As for the peninsula, I would want to see a study on the possible environmental impact it would make. If it is as financially feasible as you say, then it should seriously be looked at.

I was struck off guard this election season, not realizing underwater private property rights (issue 3) was going to be on the ballot. I'm a little disappointed that I didn't hear more about it, and surprised there were not activist groups speak against it.

And I'll leave this post by restating that I don't believe Lakewood needs big box stores within it's boundaries. Especially when there are already plenty all around us. But that's just me. :)

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:06 am

chris richards wrote:Huh, I thought there would be more discussion about this topic. It's really intriguing, even though I don't think the city of Cleveland would go for it since they continue to push toward regionalism.

Of course Cleveland pushes for regionalism, it saves their ass a little.

Check this piece out.

http://www.slate.com/id/2129636/?nav=navoa

You will be shocked to see Cleveland mentioned as a prime example of a city that needs to shed land space.

For art's sake i think it should be more dramatic, a small war and border skirmish by the Rockport Militia.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

Werner Heisenberg

dl meckes

Postby dl meckes » Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:12 pm

Are we taking Gordon Square?

“One of they key problems today is that politics is such a disgrace. Good people don’t go into government.”- 45
Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:22 pm

dl meckes wrote:Are we taking Gordon Square?

you bet.

Villa Zapata's

and the water treatment plant too!

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

Werner Heisenberg

Ruthie Koenigsmark

Postby Ruthie Koenigsmark » Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:13 am

slightly off course...........

I think we need to reconfigure our wards for better representation for our neighborhoods. Lets take bird town instance, wouldn't it be great for them to have someone who lived in the neighborhood representing their interests??? I dunno know...just a thought...

R

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. "
--Margaret Mead.

Return to “Urban Dynamics”