The Kalamazoo Promise

Forum strictly about development, urban planning, community programs ideas, and discussions about cities around the world and what they are doing right.

Moderator: Jim DeVito

Ruthie Koenigsmark

The Kalamazoo Promise

Postby Ruthie Koenigsmark » Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:21 pm

Imagine Free College for every Lakewood Student--just like in Kalamazoo???

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/02/ ... 6212.shtml

it could happen with the right vision!

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. "
--Margaret Mead.
Holly C. Whisman

Postby Holly C. Whisman » Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:48 pm

Akron's Mayor has discussed something like this for Akron's students...although I believe his plan involved selling a city asset in order to finance it, which was understandably controversial.

Lakewood has a relatively small number of students, compared to bigger cities, making it more feasible than in other places. It would require serious funding, probably foundation support, perhaps donations from alumni, etc. This is not something that could come from the City itself.

College education is increasingly important for people and places to be successful in a global economy. I like the idea, Ruthie.

Rhonda loje

Postby Rhonda loje » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:01 pm

Ruthie,
This is a great idea!

Is this something that the Alumni Foundation could tackle? They already have the structure and a great donor list alumni!

This is a terrific idea!

Rhonda

Jim O'Bryan

Re: The Kalamazoo Promise

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:47 am

Ruthie Koenigsmark wrote:Imagine Free College for every Lakewood Student--just like in Kalamazoo???

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/02/ ... 6212.shtml

it could happen with the right vision!

Ruthie

A great link and idea.

I thought this was the guarantee Dr. Estrop was handing every student at graduation.

I believe at one time the VAL had this in it, along with working to bring in a university (Bejing) to Lakewood. Also on the drawing boards were ways to bring in Jesuit Univeristies and colleges to some of the every increasing number of vacant catholic schools to offer Lakewood students college prep courses.

As with many well meaning programs, it was started and handed off to others where it fell into mediocrity, lack of true vision, and fell apart. It is so important for groups to stay true to purpose.

Hige difference for Lakewood between "American home of Bejing University" and another satellite campus for CSU. While it might be easier to deal with CSU, one redevelops half of Lakewood as a college town, the other is 6 kids getting off the RTA.

Sorry to rant but delirious with fever this morning.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama

Return to “Urban Dynamics”