Lakewood's newest hotel

Forum strictly about development, urban planning, community programs ideas, and discussions about cities around the world and what they are doing right.

Moderator: Jim DeVito

Shawn Juris

Lakewood's newest hotel

Postby Shawn Juris » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:24 am

Any thoughts on a 75-100 room hotel in the middle of Lakewood on Detroit Ave? Pros, Cons? Good for Lakewood or not?

Bryan Schwegler

Postby Bryan Schwegler » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:53 am

What would be it's purpose? Who would be the target consumer?

Brad Hutchison

Postby Brad Hutchison » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:40 pm

There was a similar topic on here recently, about marketing Lakewood as a cool/fun/quiet/[insert adjective] place to stay for people visiting Cleveland. There would have to be regular, direct transportation from the hotel to Tower City and back for that to work. It would help if LAKEwood had any beachfront.

I just think this would have to be a YES!!!! project, meaning overwhelming support and interest to go forward. It's too expensive and would take up too much prime real estate to be worth the risk otherwise.

Be the change you want to see in the world.

-Gandhi
Shawn Juris

Postby Shawn Juris » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:10 pm

My thought would be to add the last peice to making Lakewood a prime location for Weddings. We've got most of it already; young residents, close to airport, churches, bars, restaurants, Brennan's and Beck Center for reception but why do it here if your guests have to stay downtown, in Westlake or at the 150th Marriott? This would be a key element.
Other events would be funerals which again we have plenty of funeral homes which would make it a convenient proximity.
High school tournaments or events at the soon to be renovated Winterhurst. Why have the event then allow the dollars to go to surrounding communities? I'm sure that a city that hosts the Olympics wouldn't want the guests to all stay in the neighboring city.
The other that came up was out of town guests. Parents visiting their kids wouldn't have to crash on their couch, they could check in at the local hotel and enjoy their weekend in a bit more comfort than clearing a spot at Billy's bachelor pad. Also, again the senior centers. Adult children coming in to visit relatives at one of the many retirement centers could stay close rather than checking in 5 miles away.
Weekly occupancy is the one I can't quite figure out. But considering that 60% occupancy seems the expectation for a hotel to remain profitable, it may have a chance.

INA building?

Bill Call

Postby Bill Call » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:22 pm

Brad Hutchison wrote:I just think this would have to be a YES!!!! project, meaning overwhelming support and interest to go forward. It's too expensive and would take up too much prime real estate to be worth the risk otherwise.

The orginal Lakewood Center plans included a space for a hotel North of the parking garage. Top levels of the hotel/condominum/office/apartment would have specacular city and lake views.

Jeff Endress

Postby Jeff Endress » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:27 pm

I thought that there was a plan for a hotel near the Cliffs.....I seem to remember the discussion during the Westend nightmare, but I don't think it was tied to that development.

Anybody know what happened to that idea? Or was it akin to the people movers and bridge to Canada?

Jeff

To wander this country and this world looking for the best barbecue â€â€
Shawn Juris

Postby Shawn Juris » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:18 pm

so would the plans for the hotel related to the cliffs project or the west end project help or hurt the informal proposal of opening a hotel in the center of Lakewood? If based on the research to that point it was a consideration, can't this continue forward as an idea? If it meant retrofitting the INA building wouldn't it be more feasible than a new build?

Corey Rossen

Postby Corey Rossen » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:06 am

...only if whatever hotel would consider Sweet Designs for their "mint on the pillow treatment." Mmmm, Sweet Designs.

Corey

Ruthie Koenigsmark

Postby Ruthie Koenigsmark » Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:57 pm

Having worked in the hospitality industry for a good part of my career, I have thought about this a great deal over the past ten years. My fav place for a boutique hotel is that tutor style funeral home on detroit that sits for sale--do you know the one? PERFECT! Long ago when there were hints that Cleveland would get an Intercontintental Hotel thought Lakewood would be a perfect home, right by the Lake --but no go. But a hotel of that caliber would be perfect for us, don't you think?

Think a Hotel or two should definately be in Lakewood's grand plan for the future. We just need to seek out Hoteliers that will share our vision.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. "
--Margaret Mead.
Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:20 am

Shawn Juris wrote:so would the plans for the hotel related to the cliffs project or the west end project help or hurt the informal proposal of opening a hotel in the center of Lakewood? If based on the research to that point it was a consideration, can't this continue forward as an idea? If it meant retrofitting the INA building wouldn't it be more feasible than a new build?

Shawn

The hotel from what I remember was 20 or more stories, north of the Cliffs, it was the three properties on each side of the underpass. Maybe you could ask ask the Chamber what happened to this imporant piece of economic development in Lakewood. It would have seen like something LakewoodAlive would be pushing very hard for.

As for the Cliffs, I did find the Sun article to be a little upsetting. The Foran Group has money to develop in Cleveland but has decided to let the Cliff project wait for a better housing market! 2010? 2015? 2025? 2050? 3000?

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Shawn Juris

Postby Shawn Juris » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:56 pm

But Jim you miss the point of the quote that you listed. I think you must have seen that there is a monumental difference between building a brand new building which as you said was proposed at 20 stories vs retrofitting a mostly vacant piece of property. Should we not look for other options and focus on what isn't working out?

Return to “Urban Dynamics”