Light Rail Through Lakewood - Panacea or Pinocchio's Nose?

Forum strictly about development, urban planning, community programs ideas, and discussions about cities around the world and what they are doing right.

Moderator: Jim DeVito

Brian Pedaci

Postby Brian Pedaci » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:53 pm

Has anyone made a legitimate proposal for light rail in Lakewood, or have you been reading the news for Lakewood, CO?

Bill Call

Postby Bill Call » Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:56 am

Brian Pedaci wrote:Has anyone made a legitimate proposal for light rail in Lakewood, or have you been reading the news for Lakewood, CO?

This link provides some detail on the proposal:

http://www.gcbl.org/transportation/pass ... muter-rail

All of the political muscle behind this proposal comes from Lorain County, Westlake and Downtown developers. I haven't been able to find any mention of Lakewood elected officials who are involved in or support this idea at this time.

The questions I have are:

How would another freeway through Lakewood enhance the liveablity desireablity of Lakewood?

If a new rail line runs through Lakewood to 10,000 empty acres in North Ridgeville and Avon what will fill those acres and where will the people come from?

Will a new I-90 interchange at Route 83 and a new tax payer subsidized rail system centered in Avon make Lakewood more desireable or less desireable?

The City has a lot of leverage before this project is built. It has none after it is built.

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:00 am

Bill

I know this is a subject near and dear to the hearts of Ed Favre and Tom Bullock. They make a great case for it, however I do wonder.

Light rail from Lorain to Cleveland?!

Sandusky to Geneva, now we are talking.

I will go back and dig up some of Ed's info, and maybe we can get him to jump in.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Bill Call

Postby Bill Call » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:22 am

Jim O'Bryan wrote:Sandusky to Geneva, now we are talking.

I will go back and dig up some of Ed's info, and maybe we can get him to jump in.

The idea has merit.

But if the line is built without an iron glad, legally binding, $500 million development plan for Lakewood the light rail line becomes just another freeway through the City.

Rockport, was it murder?

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:56 am

Bill Call wrote:
The idea has merit.

But if the line is built without an iron glad, legally binding, $500 million development plan for Lakewood the light rail line becomes just another freeway through the City.

Rockport, was it murder?

The idea does have merit, and Ed Favre can make great case for it. My only question is why anchor it with two dying cities. At best it would suck Lorainites into Bay, Avon, etc to work, maybe some from Cleveland.

Extend it and it makes financial sense for all. From Cedar Point to Geneva on the Lake gives everyone destinations, jobs, fun for low cost. Imagine being able to walk to the beautifully designed (by Lakewood High Students) train station on Belle, and get to the Ferry for a day at Put In Bay or Cedar Point, or Ashtabula for a cheap tattoo.

It would help Lakewood in more ways than one. They would have to buy rails from Fred Inc. largest supplier of continuous rails kind of based in Lakewood.

Was Rockport murdered?

Interesting, by who?

Lakewood? I could make a case.

Cleveland? I could make a case?

Regionalism? I could make a case?

Bad developers, no.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama

Return to “Urban Dynamics”