Specially moderated?

Forum strictly about development, urban planning, community programs ideas, and discussions about cities around the world and what they are doing right.

Moderator: Jim DeVito

Jim O'Bryan

Re: Specially moderated?

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:08 pm

Shawn Juris wrote:How so?

Shawn, to get rid of the "Jim O'Bryan" Factor. We are still working out the details but the thought is. TOPIC ONLY, anything else is watched and deleted.

As this would seem to be a very serious subject, we are looking for as many as 5 moderators to keep it on topic. I wanted it to be know from the very beginning.

Also thinking of a formate where FACTS are in bold. Number of business it generated, if it has attracted whatever, $$$$ to the city, etc,

OPINION would be in italic.

This way when I say, Shawn's Pants Store it should be moderated down to Pants Store

This is merely a test, years ago we had a place we referred to as the "Thought Puddle" and it worked alright as an idea incubator.

What are you thoughts. Care to have a set of the keys to the Urban Kingdom. Moderators will be needed. or maybe not.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Shawn Juris

Postby Shawn Juris » Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:33 pm

I like the direction and look forward to a more reasoned, fact based discussion vs the usual banter of my opinion is better than your opinion that many past experiences broke down to. So will the moderator be responsible to fact check claims or will posters be required to provide back up?
Have the students who are involved in local debate clubs or the faculty advisors been consulted?

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:51 pm

Shawn Juris wrote:I like the direction and look forward to a more reasoned, fact based discussion vs the usual banter of my opinion is better than your opinion that many past experiences broke down to. So will the moderator be responsible to fact check claims or will posters be required to provide back up?
Have the students who are involved in local debate clubs or the faculty advisors been consulted?

Shawn

I think we work this one on the fly, and fine tune as we go.

At this time we have to throw ourselves on the mercy of self centering fact checking. The section will be watched for anything off thread topic.

Bryan has already signed on to help moderate and I have always known him to be fair and caring. Maybe he has some ideas for serious discussion about the future of Lakewood.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

Werner Heisenberg

Bryan Schwegler

Postby Bryan Schwegler » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:15 pm

Shawn Juris wrote: So will the moderator be responsible to fact check claims or will posters be required to provide back up?

Hi Shawn,
I think the preference would be for the poster to supply the context and sources. Just like the rest of the board, you own your words and your name is attached so it's your responsibility to uphold the integrity of your facts.

Intriguing idea. How would you see their involvement?

Dee Martinez

Postby Dee Martinez » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:17 pm

Bryan Schwegler wrote:Hi Shawn,
I think the preference would be for the poster to supply the context and sources. Just like the rest of the board, you own your words and your name is attached so it's your responsibility to uphold the integrity of your facts

As my kid would say, this one "stinks on ice"
As we have all heard, "there are lies, damn lies, and then there are statistics."
Good luck with this one.

Bryan Schwegler

Postby Bryan Schwegler » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:22 pm

Dee Martinez wrote:As my kid would say, this one "stinks on ice"
As we have all heard, "there are lies, damn lies, and then there are statistics."
Good luck with this one.

So basically we're just dealing with the same struggle online that the real world has to deal with haha.

What kind of alternative would you consider? I'm all ears here. But as you pointed out, statistics are often misleading so I'm hoping that at least if we require the source of the "fact", the readers can judge the validity for themselves.

Dee Martinez

Postby Dee Martinez » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:25 pm

Come on Bryan. Were hashing things out and having some fun on an internet board. I didnt realize I was writing MASTERS THESIS!! What format should the footnotes be in??

Its also very curious to me that one of the most active discussions on the Deck in some time, but one that very obviously flies in the face of the proprietor's personal prejudice, gets shot off into a new side pocket called "Urban Dynamics" Was this a "board" decision?

I believe in the Golden Rule....He who has the gold makes the rules. If Im so smart why didnt I start a forum? but this one seems a little blatant.

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:32 pm

Dee Martinez wrote:Its also very curious to me that one of the most active discussions on the Deck in some time, but one that very obviously flies in the face of the proprietor's personal prejudice, gets shot off into a new side pocket called "Urban Dynamics" Was this a "board" decision?

I believe in the Golden Rule....He who has the gold makes the rules. If Im so smart why didnt I start a forum? but this one seems a little blatant.

Dee

No I over stepped my bounds moving the thread. I had posted in it that it would be moved. I psyed that it was moved in the Lakewood Discussion. I was going to shadow it. I posted in that thread so everyone that had posted in it was notified.

There was no thought of covering anything up.

The opposite was true, I was hoping to underline this discussion, and other similar discussions. It seemed to me that you, Valerie, Bryan, C Dawson and others thought there was a lot to be learned looking at other cities, and their ideas and programs. It seemed to have enough interest to possibly warrant a new section. I also know of some "pros on this subject" that will way in if moderated.

You tell me right now, how you want this handled, and I will undo this, or let it move on and develop.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

Werner Heisenberg

Bryan Schwegler

Postby Bryan Schwegler » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:54 pm

Dee Martinez wrote:Come on Bryan. Were hashing things out and having some fun on an internet board. I didnt realize I was writing MASTERS THESIS!! What format should the footnotes be in??

Dee, unless you're making up facts, you've got them from somewhere. There's a very easy "URL" button at the top of every posting box, just copy and paste, voila!

No need to blow it out of proportion, it's not a masters thesis nor do you need to use MLA citations. Maybe APA...j/k.

Most people already do this today so it's not a big change, we'd just ask that here, people make a conscious effort to do so or if the statement is opinion, just that it clear.

Valerie Molinski

Postby Valerie Molinski » Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:57 pm

[quote="Bryan Schwegler"Just like the rest of the board, you own your words and your name is attached so it's your responsibility to uphold the integrity of your facts.

[/quote]

Two questions: so does this mean that Bill Call cant post here? :lol:

And.... who's minding the minders? :wink:

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:48 am

Dee

We are not expecting anything but normal posting without the "passion."

Things that can be identified should be given extra strength, over conversation and opinion when dealing with such a serious topic.

Valerie

I would hope bill and others post, though I believe Bill and I will be more on the opinion side.

Who minds the minders? We all do just like always.

There is a reason the software is called "NinthEstate" The final estate, the people watch over the other 8 estates.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

Werner Heisenberg

Amy Bennett

Postby Amy Bennett » Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:41 pm

In my opinion this is the best thing to happen to this forum since I first tuned in about a year ago. With freedom comes responsibility.

Jim DeVito

Postby Jim DeVito » Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:56 pm

Amy Bennett wrote:In my opinion this is the best thing to happen to this forum since I first tuned in about a year ago. With freedom comes responsibility.

Very well done Amy. :D That is all there is to it folks!!

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:12 pm

Jim DeVito wrote:
Amy Bennett wrote:In my opinion this is the best thing to happen to this forum since I first tuned in about a year ago. With freedom comes responsibility.

Very well done Amy. :D That is all there is to it folks!!

A little speech from the lucky publisher.

This is what the Lakewood Observer is all about the ability to change and try new things. The ability to empower residents, businesses, non-profits, city and schools to not just sit at the table but to try their ideas, there way.

Back to the discussion.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

Werner Heisenberg

Return to “Urban Dynamics”