Mainstreet

Forum strictly about development, urban planning, community programs ideas, and discussions about cities around the world and what they are doing right.

Moderator: Jim DeVito

Jim O'Bryan

Mainstreet

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:31 pm

http://www.heritageohio.org

Information on Mainstreet.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
sharon kinsella

Postby sharon kinsella » Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:45 am

I know it's for Mainstreet info - but that's a cute little college town - looks kind of like Oberlin.

"When I dare to be powerful -- to use my strength in the service of my vision, then it becomes less and less important whether I am afraid." - Audre Lorde
Phil Florian

Postby Phil Florian » Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:04 pm

Not too off topic but how was Detroit considered our "mainstreet" in Lakewood over the more down-homey Madison? Just curious.

Mary Anne Crampton

Postby Mary Anne Crampton » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:34 pm

The National Main Street Center "helps communities of all sizes to revitalize their downtowns and neighborhood commercial districts".

In Lakewood, our goal is to use the Main Street principals to enhance and invigorate our downtown district, and then use that model for the same purposes in our other commercial districts.

That said, this is not rocket science. It's about a disciplined cross-functional approach that is volunteer based. I would be happy to meet with engaged residents to talk about what we are learning and how it might be applied in other areas of town.

Anticipating another question, the Main Street Lakewood district was defined in an all day community meeting held in March 2005 at the Beck Center Armory during a visit by Heritage Ohio D.A.R.T (Downtown Area Assessment Team). At just under 1 mile in length, and anchored by the library on one end and the Winking Lizard/development site at the east end, it serves as reasonably-sized area to launch the program. In time, we expect to widen the district's breadth and depth.

www.mainstreetlakewood.org

Mary Anne

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:16 pm

Mary Anne Crampton wrote:The National Main Street Center "helps communities of all sizes to revitalize their downtowns and neighborhood commercial districts".

www.mainstreetlakewood.org

Mary Anne

Mary Anne

Thanks for jumping in. I think the more we all know about various programs, the better off everyone is. As Mainstreet is a recognized redevelopment program, it was only proper for a thread.

Also there is room for the FREE Mainstreet discussion board over at Lakewood Cares.

Thanks for everything you do for this city.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
chris richards

Postby chris richards » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:44 pm

Perhaps this link might get more attention on this thread? I was debating about making it a thread of its own. But I believe that Project for Public Spaces could/would be a good addition to the Main Street project.

http://www.pps.org/

Project for Public Spaces is a nonprofit organization dedicated to helping people create and sustain public spaces that build stronger communities. Founded in 1975, PPS embraces the insights of William (Holly) Whyte, a pioneer in understanding the way people use public spaces. Today, PPS has become an internationally recognized center for best-practices, information, and resources about Placemaking.

This organization could assist with a wider scope of projects including parks, transportation, civic centers, public markets, mixed use development, campuses (if we do want to attract a Kent branch), and waterfronts...

Perhaps I should have the Lakewood Library order The Great Neighborhood Book.

Kenneth Warren

Postby Kenneth Warren » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:58 pm

Chris:

Is this the book:

The great neighborhood book : a do-it-yourself guide to placemaking
Walljasper, Jay.
Publisher: New Society Publishers,
Pub date: 2007.
Pages: xvi, 175 p. :
ISBN: 9780865715813

LPL owns it, but it's checked out.

We can order an additional copy if it's long overdue.

Kenneth Warren
Director
Lakewood Public Library

chris richards

Postby chris richards » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:18 pm

Kenneth Warren wrote:Chris:

Is this the book:

The great neighborhood book : a do-it-yourself guide to placemaking
Walljasper, Jay.
Publisher: New Society Publishers,
Pub date: 2007.
Pages: xvi, 175 p. :
ISBN: 9780865715813

LPL owns it, but it's checked out.

We can order an additional copy if it's long overdue.

Kenneth Warren
Director
Lakewood Public Library

That is the book... I should put a hold on it.

Return to “Urban Dynamics”