Fitzgerald campaign elections violations.

Moderator: Jim DeVito

Mary Breiner

Fitzgerald campaign elections violations.

Postby Mary Breiner » Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:30 am

FWIW
The Ohio Elections Commission has found "probable cause" for multiple Fitzgerald campaign elections violations.

"The Probable Cause panel determined that there was probable cause of a violation of the allegations brought pursuant to Ohio Revised Code 3517.20 and 3717.21 (B)(8)and (B)(10) for the failure to include proper disclaimer, and the following statements: the "33% tax increase", the "$1.5 million budget deficit" and the "budget mistake". The matter concerning these issues is set for hearing before the full Commission on Monday, Nov. 5, 2007 at 10:00 a.m."

The Fitzgerald campaign has certain rights to petition the full Commission to reconsider this decision pursuant to R.C. 3517.156(E).

David Lay

Postby David Lay » Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:38 am

Do you have a link? I didn't see this anywhere on the usual news sites...

New Website/Blog: dlayphoto.com
Bryan Schwegler

Postby Bryan Schwegler » Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:39 am

Um yep...we heard. Thanks.

http://lakewoodobserver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5096

But I agree with David...do you have a link? Anything to substantiate? In the interest of bipartisaness, what about the George campaign violations? Have those been ruled on?

The Deck the last few days has really gone pretty negative and honestly has become a toxic environment. It's not a fun place to be right now. People aren't here to discuss...they're here to shoot venom and spread inuendo.

Not cool.

Jeff Endress

Postby Jeff Endress » Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:45 am

they're here to shoot venom and spread inuendo.

And it is thus reflecting the realities of the campaign being "discussed".

Jeff

To wander this country and this world looking for the best barbecue â€â€
Bryan Schwegler

Postby Bryan Schwegler » Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:48 am

Jeff Endress wrote:
they're here to shoot venom and spread inuendo.

And it is thus reflecting the realities of the campaign being "discussed".

Jeff

Understood...but that doesn't change the environment that's been created here the last few days.

It's not enjoyable...especially when it's consistent unsubstantiated sniping posts coming from one particular side. I think I'm going to take a little break from the Deck until after next week. I have a feeling it's only going to get worse.

I'll come back when it's over :)

David Lay

Postby David Lay » Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:49 am

Bryan Schwegler wrote:The Deck the last few days has really gone pretty negative and honestly has become a toxic environment. It's not a fun place to be right now. People aren't here to discuss...they're here to shoot venom and spread inuendo.

Not cool.

It always happens during election cycles...the worst comes out in people.

I hope that on November 7, we can go back to being our usual selves.

New Website/Blog: dlayphoto.com
Bryan Schwegler

Postby Bryan Schwegler » Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:53 am

David Lay wrote:
Bryan Schwegler wrote:The Deck the last few days has really gone pretty negative and honestly has become a toxic environment. It's not a fun place to be right now. People aren't here to discuss...they're here to shoot venom and spread inuendo.

Not cool.

It always happens during election cycles...the worst comes out in people.

I hope that on November 7, we can go back to being our usual selves.

In fairness to the majority of Deck posters, it's only a minority of people that are ruining the environment for the majority of positive people here.

Nothing wrong with discussing the election. But when you have a concerted effort from one particular campaign posting about 5-10 random unsubstantiated innuendo-filled sniping posts a day, it just ruins the fun of coming here and discussing real issues and the great things about Lakewood.

Maybe if the Deck forced political threads to stay in the Election 2007 forum it would easier for people to ignore them if they don't want to see them. Maybe it's just me getting tired of all the negative campaigning; maybe I'm the only one that feels this way. If so, I'm sorry for venting. :(

Ed FitzGerald

Postby Ed FitzGerald » Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:36 am

This is one of the oldest political tricks in the book.

The hearing on these matters is scheduled the day before the election. Until that time, my campaign is not allowed to present any evidence- no witnesses, no testimony.

In the meantime, the opposing campaign will put out literature, or send emails, pretending that the Elections Commission already found there to be violations. Not true, of course, but they're are hoping no one knows the difference.

Some of the George campaign's allegations, such as those about crime statistics, were immediately thrown out even without us even providing any evidence at all, because they failed to even state a claim. The rest- such as complaining about his income tax proposal, will obviously be tossed out at the upcoming hearing. Ironically, you need go know further to document the George campaign's position on taxes by doing a search on this website.

I expect a nasty piece of literature today or tomorrow which breathlessly claims that I've violated the law, similar in tone to the one which claimed I'm against giving police officers bullets. By the time the hearing is actually held, it will be too late undo any damage, at least that is what the mayor's consultant has advised him. Unfortunately, it does work sometimes, but I'm assuming that voters will stay focused on the issues.

Ed FitzGerald
Grace O'Malley

Postby Grace O'Malley » Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:59 am

It's Tit for Tat. You reap what you sow.

On October 5 you posted a thread on the other site demanding that George "give back" the contribution from Giltz and inferring that it was some back door dealing. Funny how all of a sudden you know there are development plans while previously you denied having any knowledge that there was a potential to develop the area (in spite of having approved a study for just such a thing.).

You claim that George has become negative, but you've been negative all along. You took every potshot you could at George in public debates. I guess you thought because you were so "clever," it wasn't going to be perceived as negative.

Brian Pedaci

Postby Brian Pedaci » Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:28 am

Grace, thanks for lifting the tone of debate here by your post, whose effect is roughly the same as sticking your thumbs in your ears, waving your hands and going "nonny-nonny-boo-boo"

It's gonna be a long week.

P.S. Should the George campaign actually imply that Fitzgerald has broken the law, wouldn't that be in violation of 3517.21 (B)(5)?

Grace O'Malley

Postby Grace O'Malley » Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:57 am

No, not me Brian, Ed did that by posting here that he's being unfairly attacked by George and acting like he's an innocent victim.

In fact, he's been doing a pretty good job of slinging it himself.

sharon kinsella

Postby sharon kinsella » Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:01 am

Bryan Schwaegler.

You are referring to me and I don't care - if you are incapable of doing research on the Internet which are just basic skills - and I seem to remember looking at your website which claims that you have some expertise, that is not my fault. I am probably one of the more inept people on here - ask DL - she has tried to explain basic things to me from time to time - and I tell her I'm going to puke - and she stops. I wasn't even on a computer for six years, due to illness, I got back on and everything changed. Oh well, I'm fairly intelligent, I'm starting to figure out but I am no means an expert. I have nightmares about Vista.

I have In my hot little hands a letter dated October 29, 2007 -from the Ohio Elections Commission detailing that they found probable cause on the charges I listed.

I don't say things without the paper in my hands. I am not a computer expert, yet I've been able to get this info. Have you even tried? If I can do it why can't you?

Or would you rather believe what Ed says. I did at one time and caught him lying.

If this is all bringing you down - oh well. Buck up young man. Blame the guy who set the tone and lied. Don't kill the messenger, blame the perpetrator.

Ed-

Your little cadre has been very verbal in the last couple days.

You can prevaricate, twist words, hog the microphone - but there is paper on you whether you like it or not.

Shame on you, glad I'm not your mirror.

"When I dare to be powerful -- to use my strength in the service of my vision, then it becomes less and less important whether I am afraid." - Audre Lorde
Bryan Schwegler

Postby Bryan Schwegler » Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:02 am

sharon kinsella wrote:Bryan Schwaegler.

You are referring to me and I don't care

Actually I was referring to more than just you, but yes, you were among the group I was referring to.

- if you are incapable of doing research on the Internet which are just basic skills - and I seem to remember looking at your website which claims that you have some expertise, that is not my fault.

Actually I can do research, I just don't feel I should be the one to have to research to prove other people's outrageous claims. They should back up their claims...as Jim would say "own your words."

I have nightmares about Vista.

I think most people do. :D

If this is all bringing you down - oh well. Buck up young man. Blame the guy who set the tone and lied. Don't kill the messenger, blame the perpetrator.

The messenger can sometimes over react and do more damage by their behavior to the person they're trying to support. Starting multiple threads with the simple point of trying to make little attacks and then posting in the general forum trying to drive people to those posts is not right IMHO.

We can disagree on what needs to be done. I just don't think that's the kind of environment I'd like to see here. You're free to do as you have been, I'm just voicing my opinion that I think it's petty and negative.

And this I promise will be my last reply to any type of thread like this.

Bill Grulich

Postby Bill Grulich » Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:04 pm

Bryan "This Is Really My Last Post" Schwegler!

:roll:

Darrin Rosebrook

Postby Darrin Rosebrook » Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:28 pm

sharon kinsella wrote: I did at one time and caught him lying.
Shame on you, glad I'm not your mirror.

People who live in glass houses should not throw stones.

Who is paying for the mayor's commercial on tv? Who is paying for the daily barrage of paper in the mailboxes of Lakewood? Who is paying to print the paper and design the paper?

Let me hear the answer to those questions Sharon. And try to keep to the facts.

Return to “2007 Lakewood Mayoral Election”