Markling for School Board

Moderator: Jim DeVito

marklingm

Postby marklingm » Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:29 pm

Ivor Karabatkovic wrote:Mr.Markling,

Just double checking so I understand the board policy 5500..

if a student threatens to beat up another student AT SCHOOL or at a school function, it's a school matter, correct?

or if a student threatens to beat up another student on a sunday afternoon at lakewood park, it's then a police matter alone?

With tragedies like Columbine where threats were posted on the attackers website and internet journals, I think that all threats should be taken seriously.

thanks for taking the time to answer a few questions!

Ivor,

You are correct. All threats should be taken seriously. All threats should be reported to the Lakewood City Schools and/or the Lakewood Police Department.

Regarding a school discipline decision, the Lakewood City Schools will need to make a decision as to whether the misconduct is, in fact, school related. Your second hypothetical appears, at first glance, to not be school related, but should still be reported because the Sunday event may have been caused by something that took place in the classroom on Friday. Again, it is a case-by-case analysis.

The Administration needs to know that their legal disciplinary decisions will be supported by the school board.

marklingm

Postby marklingm » Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:14 am

Why Rick Wair Is Voting Markling for Lakewood School Board - Academic Excellence

In the October 2, 2007 edition of The Lakewood Observer, Rick Wair authors an article entitled, Why I Am Voting Markling for Lakewood School Board - Academic Excellence.

To view this article, please click here.

marklingm

Postby marklingm » Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:46 pm

Why Teresa Coyne Andreani Is Voting Markling for Lakewood School Board - School Safety

In the October 30, 2007 edition of the The Lakewood Observer, Teresa Coyne Andreani authors an article entitled, Why I Am Voting Markling for Lakewood School Board - School Safety.

To view this article, please click here
Last edited by marklingm on Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

marklingm

Postby marklingm » Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:53 pm

Lakewood City Schools Organizational Chart & Communication Policies and Bylaws

While campaigning, I have been asked for clarification as to the chain-of-command in the Lakewood City Schools. I have also been asked how concerns should be directed to the Lakewood City Schools. To assist in clarifying these issues, some useful links are provided below.

A copy of the Lakewood City Schools Organizational Chart can be found by clicking here.

Board Policy 1100 is entitled, District Organization, and can be viewed by clicking here.

Board Policy 9130 is entitled, Public Complaints, and can also be viewed by clicking here.

Board Bylaw 0169.1 is entitled, Public Participation at Board Meetings, and can also be viewed by clicking here.

marklingm

Postby marklingm » Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:17 pm

Superintendent Agrees with Markling on School Safety

School safety is a real concern facing the Lakewood City Schools as evidenced by the past district-wide initiatives to address student conduct in the high school and middle schools, as well as the current district-wide initiative to address student conduct in the elementary schools.

Throughout this campaign, we have been calling for Total Enforcement of the Student Code of Conduct – including the current dress code - and Unequivocal Required Display of Photo IDs due to the safety concerns relating to these two issues.

On October 1, 2007, Dr. David Estrop issued a directive stating that: "The staff members at the middle and high school levels must continue the total enforcement of the dress code and wearing of IDs. I want to call special attention to enforcement of the dress code relative to the rules regarding long T-shirts and baggy pants."

The Superintendent's directive is found in his Student Conduct, School Climate and School Safety Update Report which can be viewed by clicking here.

marklingm

Postby marklingm » Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:47 pm

School Board Agrees with Markling on Academic Excellence

I am confident that our children are already receiving in excellent education in the Lakewood City Schools.

From the beginning of our campaign, however, we have been calling for the Lakewood City Schools to expect academic excellence and stop making excuses for not achieving an "Excellent" state designation.

Sometimes, school leaders are tempted to make excuses for why their schools fail to meet one or more of the state accountability standards. These excuses can become self-fulfilling prophecies and serve no good purpose.

Lakewood understands that there are factors beyond the control of school districts that sometimes make it difficult to meet all state standards. However, these factors should not deter us from doing everything possible to meet the standards. They simply mean that the Lakewood City Schools has to continuously evaluate our practices and make changes whenever indicated.

The Lakewood School Board has listened. In its goals for the 2007-2008 school year, the School Board states that it will "[i]mprove student achievement through effectively integrating the use of data and technology on a district wide basis in order to achieve an 'Excellent' state designation."

A copy of the Lakewood City Schools 2007-2008 Goals can be viewed by clicking here.

marklingm

Postby marklingm » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:42 am

Lakewood Chamber of Commerce Candidates Luncheon Forum

On October 19, 2007, beginning at noon at St. Gregory’s Hall, I will have the honor of participating in the Lakewood Chamber of Commerce Candidates Luncheon Forum. This event is open to the public and you are encouraged to attend.

marklingm

Postby marklingm » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:44 am

League of Women Voter's Candidate's Night

On October 25, 2007, beginning at 7:00 PM in the auditorium at Lakewood City Hall, I will have the honor of participating in the League of Women Voter's Candidate's Night. This event is open to the public and you are encouraged to attend.

marklingm

Postby marklingm » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:52 am

Markling Only FOP Endorsed Lakewood School Board Candidate

I am proud to announce that I am the only Lakewood School Board Candidate to be endorsed by The Fraternal Order of Police Lodge #25. It is truly an honor and a privilege to receive the FOP endorsement. The FOP is a key stakeholder in the Lakewood City Schools. FOP members serve as essential role models and resources for our children.

To review other FOP endorsements, please click here.

To review the notice published in October 30, 2007 edition of The Lakewood Observer, please click here.
Last edited by marklingm on Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

marklingm

Postby marklingm » Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:31 pm

Markling Responds to Sun Newspapers Reporters

Following my October 6, 2007 interview, Sun Newspapers reporters asked Lakewood School Board Candidates to answer three questions in 200 words or less each. You can view the information I gave to Sun Newspapers reporters, including open-ended statements provided by me and posted verbatim by clicking here.

marklingm

Postby marklingm » Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:27 am

What Board Vice-President Debra Sweeney Has to Say About My Candidacy:

“As a parent of two young children, Matthew Markling understands the education and safety concerns families have for children in our school district. Matt is the best candidate for Lakewood Board of Education who will bring an understanding of public education to our community. I endorse Matthew Markling for the Lakewood Board of Education.â€Â

marklingm

Postby marklingm » Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:29 am

What Board Member Betsy Bergen Shaughnessy Has to Say About My Candidacy:

“I believe that Matt Markling has been a strong supporter of the schools for years and has demonstrated a commitment to meeting the needs of students across the district. His experience will enable him to hit the ground running as we work to implement this year’s goals and initiatives. I would find his perspective very useful and believe very strongly that he understands the role of school board members and the responsibility we have to advocate for all students and listen carefully to the concerns of our community.â€Â

marklingm

Postby marklingm » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:07 am

What Board President and Candidate Linda G. Beebe Has to Say About My Candidacy:

“I am endorsing Matthew Markling for a position on the Lakewood Board of Education because I am impressed with his commitment to the City of Lakewood and to our school district and by the breadth of the knowledge that he would bring to the position.â€Â

marklingm

Postby marklingm » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:09 am

What Board Member and Candidate W. Charles Geiger, III Has to Say About My Candidacy:

“Markling brings a professional expertise in school law that will be valuable to the school board. He is committed to working with the board toward the successful implementation of the board’s goals and initiatives. I endorse Matthew John Markling for the Lakewood Board of Education.â€Â

marklingm

Postby marklingm » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:23 am

What Board Member Edward Favre Has to Say About My Candidacy:

“Matt Markling is eminently qualified for the Lakewood Board of Education. As an attorney who specializes in school law, Matt understands the highly regulated world of education. As a college professor, Matt literally educates the educators. Matt is a homeowner and taxpayer, a parent of young children, an involved Lakewoodite. He will bring unique talents to the Board.â€Â

Return to “2007 Lakewood Mayoral Election”